Page 22 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup image and slice begging thread

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    I've seen statements like this several times, and they never cease to amaze me. PTVupgrade is distributing original TiVo software, WITH TiVo's permission. They include an installer so people can load a drive without using MFS restore. Has anyone claimed that loader violates any agreement?

The LBA-48 issue is even funnier. 4.x software is not LBA-48 aware, sending it out with an LBA-48 aware boot CD would cause problems for anyone with a > 137 Gig hard drive UNLESS a LBA-48 TiVo kernel was included. And including an LBA-48 TiVo kernel would cause another round of problems. Let's face it, some of the people buying these images would have problems installing a killhdinitrd kernel, let alone monte-ing into the LBA-48 kernel.

PlainBill
    Bill--go back to the RID files section. It was suggested that people buy instant cake for the 4.0 image and to buy the LBA48 framework disk. MY POST WAS IN THAT CONTEXT. The RID hack includes a monte to a LBA48 kernel. There were posts that suggested you re-expand with the LBA48 disk. ADH and others said that leads to corruption and is a poor way to do it.

Lou from ptv upgrade finally admitted the problem and is/was working on some type of solution.

People who chose to pay for an image file and the upgrade CD might like the image included on the LBA framework disk. More reliable and less CD swapping.

A helpful poster steered me to winiso, I created a linux boot CD that had everything I needed in one place BUT the initial posts and CD images lead some users into using instant cake and being left with a corrupt partition or a drive not being fully used.

I recommended PTVupgrade because they're one of the VERY FEW authorized sources for clean images, they sponsor the forum, and I really don't fancy trying to troubleshoot all sorts of wacky problems caused by hero-wannabe's hosting broken images

4.x does NOT include lba48 support natively, the glitch is a shortcoming of mfstools under lba24 and really shouldn't be blamed on PTVupgrade - my bad perhaps for not catching it, but I've never needed the "***** proof" installer so it slipped in under the radar

If someone would be kind enough to provide me with a source of 3.1.5e slices, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Justin

Here's my beg...I apparently purchased the wrong image from ptvupgrade and i dont intend to buy another one. I've also been queued on emule for a few days, and the one image that I did get ahold of doesn't work. So if someone could push me in the right direction for a 4.0.1b image that'll work on my dsr704 i would be eternally greatful

stupid newbie question - i have a new s2 SA tivo - would that image work? if so, what would i need to do to it to get it to work with my hdvr2?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidiq
    stupid newbie question - i have a new s2 SA tivo - would that image work? if so, what would i need to do to it to get it to work with my hdvr2?
    Yes, it would work. I would suggest making an immediate backup using MFS Tools (mfsbackup), then letting the system call in to update to the latest version (4.0.1b-02-1-xxx if I recall correctly).

Once you are at 4.0.1b-02-whatever, you can copy the S2SA drive over to the new drive for the HDVR2 (do NOT reuse your original HDVR2 drive, keep that safe for emergencies). Then put the new HDVR2 drive in the HDVR2, when it boots run Clear and Delete Everything*. After it restarts, run guided setup, and you're running the latest version of 4.x on your HDVR2. (*Alternatively, hack the drive with killhdinitrd, AlphaWolf's Series 2 utilities, etc, then run 51killer).

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

need any working version for hdvr2

I had a hard drive failure, and I just need whatever so I can get my hdvr2 working again. no need for hacks or anything, just the basic image so I can restore it onto a new hard drive.
    I can't use torrent, or anything (blocked), only ftp or http. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hdvr2
    I had a hard drive failure, and I just need whatever so I can get my hdvr2 working again. no need for hacks or anything, just the basic image so I can restore it onto a new hard drive.
    I can't use torrent, or anything (blocked), only ftp or http. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Why can't you have internet access that doesn't block things? If you can afford a tivo you should be able to get decent net access. I'm confused.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    Why can't you have internet access that doesn't block things? If you can afford a tivo you should be able to get decent net access. I'm confused.

NutKase

I wasn't home. I was hoping to do it yesterday. I'm home now, but not sure what to search for on edonkey??

Quote Originally Posted by hdvr2
    I wasn't home. I was hoping to do it yesterday. I'm home now, but not sure what to search for on edonkey??
    Use this link:

ed2k://|file|TiVo_3.1.1c.mfs|236013468|4288BFD37E6FFD91BE14FF1D900FE789|h=ICF2KQK3GHPO6UXJPI4F3QGDOV3STPNV|/

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

SAT-T60 legit image anyone?

Can anyone point me to a reasonably legit image for a Sony SAT-T60?

It looks like both my drives are on the way out; I can't get a dd from the A drive and I can't find my damn backup.
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

Quote Originally Posted by scarabus
    Can anyone point me to a reasonably legit image for a Sony SAT-T60?

It looks like both my drives are on the way out; I can't get a dd from the A drive and I can't find my damn backup.
    Go here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0&pagenumber=7

They have a 3.0.1b and a 3.0.1c image for a SAT - T60

You have to send a PM to Stan and ask him for the link.

Need 3.1.1c fs image

Need 3.1.1.c image...

bill@billbell.us

Quote Originally Posted by billnbell
    Need 3.1.1.c image...

xxx@xxxxxx.xx

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=325

PlainBill

S1 Dtivo Image beg

Need a Dtivo series 1 (Sony Sat-T60) image version 3.1.0-c2 (assuming that is the latest) -- my HD died, no backup made

thanks!

Quick edit: I have a PM into Stan, and I know about instant cake, will wait a while before using that option, any help in the meantime would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Disco; 01-02-2005 at 03:05 AM.