Page 61 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup image and slice begging thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Honeydew View Post
    I am looking for a minimal 6.3a image or slices. I just got a HR10-250 (which already has a 6.3a). However, I want to put in a new drive and start hacking it.

Are there any copies out there? Or do people recommend going the instantcake route?

Also has anybody compiled a more current linux startup/boot CD? It would be nice to find something with SATA driver support along with some of the more recent updates to the setup tools.

Thanks in advance.
    If you open up your HR10-250 you will find a hard drive. MFStools (mfsbackup) can make an image of that drive which you can restore to a new drive. This image is superior to one you might find on the web, or the one from PTVupgrade because it is for your exact system, and it also happens to be free.

As far as a more current start up disk, I'm not aware of any, but it certainly would be useful.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by SithLord View Post
    PTV Upgrade has the 3.1.5f Instantcake image w/ 6.3a slices on it. Give that a shot.
    Ok, thanks.

I thought that 3.1.5f couldn't be killhdinitrd'ed. Am I wrong, or will I need to make use of 3.1.5?

Ok, thanks.

I thought that 3.1.5f couldn't be killhdinitrd'ed. Am I wrong, or will I need to make use of 3.1.5?
    Don't confuse kernel version with software version. 3.1.5f software will work with a 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel. So will 6.3a (though DHCP requires an external module), but you can also use the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    If you open up your HR10-250 you will find a hard drive. MFStools (mfsbackup) can make an image of that drive which you can restore to a new drive. This image is superior to one you might find on the web, or the one from PTVupgrade because it is for your exact system, and it also happens to be free.
    Yeah, I had thought about that. It was just that I was under the impression that one needed to perform at clear/delete All before creating such a back up to keep the backup at a reasonable size.

I am hoping to keep the recordings with the current drive. So I wanted to practice on a scratch drive, just to make sure I had the process right, before applying them on the original disk.

What size might one expect a mfsbackup to take up on HR10-250? (I don't care about backing the shows, just a copy of the software)? If it is less than a few Gig than I that's fine. However if it is closer to the 250G size, then I don't have enough IDE hard drive space to manage it.

As far as a more current start up disk, I'm not aware of any, but it certainly would be useful.

PlainBill

Yeah, I had thought about that. It was just that I was under the impression that one needed to perform at clear/delete All before creating such a back up to keep the backup at a reasonable size.

I am hoping to keep the recordings with the current drive. So I wanted to practice on a scratch drive, just to make sure I had the process right, before applying them on the original disk.

What size might one expect a mfsbackup to take up on HR10-250? (I don't care about backing the shows, just a copy of the software)? If it is less than a few Gig than I that's fine. However if it is closer to the 250G size, then I don't have enough IDE hard drive space to manage it.
    This is getting off topic for this thread, but since the guy who started it is no longer around...

Your basic plan is good - make an image, load the image onto a new drive and experiment on that until you can copy everything from the original drive to a new drive.

A typical backup without recordings will be in the range of 150 Gig. Jamie describes how to make a minimal backup (without recordings) in this thread. This image will require a 250 Gig or larger drive. There is a thread on making a small image from scratch; unfortunately nobody has done that for 6.3a yet.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

In case anyone is interested in an HR10-250 3.1.5f with slices, if you are member of Demonoid.com then you can get this file "instantcake-hr10-1.2-3.1.5f-SE3.zip" It's the Special Slicer Edition.

You will also need "The Slicer" which is also found there.

Edit: Mods, if this info violates the forum rules, feel free to remove it or edit.
    Last edited by bozo8787; 11-20-2006 at 03:54 AM.

So instead of legitimately paying a site sponsor, we get to grab this free from someone who's whoring it out left and right, eh? No thanks.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion I gain strength.
    Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory.
    Through victory my chains are broken.
    The Force shall set me free.

help Tivo SA series1

hello all

i have just purchased my first tivo used of course. well the system says it has ver 3.0 and is using the rf tuner to receive signal. now my problem is this the sub has been closed. All i want to do is record from my 4dtv sub receiver. but i cant change the input to the tivo to sat. how cani do this and do i need a modded image and where can i get one.

Hello out there!

My TiVo has taken a dirtnap -- harddrive won't start up. I am trying to find an image backup for a 24004A unit. Can anybody help me?

Thank you very kindly for any assistance!

Humax DRT400 Kernel

Does anyone have a kernel that will work with the Humax Series2 DRT400?

From doing dd on the kernel partition and running 'strings' on it the version I have now is "Linux version 2.4.20 (build@buildmaster59) (gcc version 3.3.4) #1 Thu Oct 26 01:37:19 PDT 2006" which doesn't appear to work with killinithdrd.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by djohnsto77; 11-21-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djohnsto77 View Post
    Does anyone have a kernel that will work with the Humax Series2 DRT400?

From doing dd on the kernel partition and running 'strings' on it the version I have now is "Linux version 2.4.20 (build@buildmaster59) (gcc version 3.3.4) #1 Thu Oct 26 01:37:19 PDT 2006" which doesn't appear to work with killinithdrd.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    You'll have to replace the prom, then run replace_initrd on your present kernel.

PlainBill

You'll have to replace the prom, then run replace_initrd on your present kernel.

PlainBill
    That's what I was afraid of...

Anyway I was able install the larger HD and it recognizes that with the original kernel -- I guess I just can't hack it any further.

Thanks!

Thumbs up Beg: S2 TCD5400xx image, 7.x

I would be very grateful and happy for a link for a clean Series 2 (TiVo brand) TCD5400xx image. Helping a friend out. The disk apparently failed.

Didn't have any luck on emule.
    I saw a Tivo-S2-4.0.1b-02-2-xxx.mfs
    It's not clear to me if this is a match on a TCD5400xx (which previously had 7.3.1 build).

If I try this, after I restore, would it just automatically update itself to the newest version since this box has a lifetime subscription (after a few call ins)?.

I suppose that would be ok, but of course a 7.x would be better...

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mp72 View Post
    I would be very grateful and happy for a link for a clean Series 2 (TiVo brand) TCD5400xx image. Helping a friend out. The disk apparently failed.

Didn't have any luck on emule.
    I saw a Tivo-S2-4.0.1b-02-2-xxx.mfs
    It's not clear to me if this is a match on a TCD5400xx (which previously had 7.3.1 build).

If I try this, after I restore, would it just automatically update itself to the newest version since this box has a lifetime subscription (after a few call ins)?.

I suppose that would be ok, but of course a 7.x would be better...

Thanks in advance.
    Well everybody here is in luck. today Registrations are open over at Demonoid If you miss registering today, it's open every Friday.

I'm aware this is not a zipper friendly site but I must mention it cause that's the key word u must search it under.

Images and more are all there for the taking. One example is to do a search on zipper and the entire image disk is there for the taking. Even IC by itself is there. IC-tcd540-std.iso , IC 6.2.iso, or for the HR 10-250 IC with slices.
    The best it to do a search on zipper and everything is included, it's **** proof.

Very important I will add, if ur gonna grab the instant cake and u use it, I say go over to PTVupgrade (Now DVRupgrade) and pay them the $20 they've earned. They do sponsor this very forum and lets support them.
    Last edited by bozo8787; 11-24-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Trying unsuccessfully to hack my brand new 8.1 standalone TCD240080.
    Blew it bigtime. My backup of the virgin 8.1 kernel went kablooie. Can someone please provide me with a kernel image I can tpip back so I can make this work, either hacked or virginal?