Thread: "Pending Restart" after EVERY forced daily call

35 "Pending Restart" after EVERY forced daily call

Running Xtreme 3.1 since Sept when I got my DSR6000 ...

It has never updated beyond 3.1.0.01. I never got 3.1.1b. Is this "normal" for Xtreme 3.1?

Now that 3.1.1c is rolling out see: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=158234 (fixes the erroneous "acquiring data" message) I may never get that either.

What is really strange though is everytime I force a daily call (using my Internet connection) I get a "pending restart" message and need to reboot.

I would think that meant I got some sort of upgrade, but the forced call download takes literally 2-3 seconds so I doubt that.

2 questions:

Why haven't I ever got the 3.1.1b update? (Been 5+ months)

Why do I always get a pending restart message and need to reboot TiVo?

Thanks

Running Directv updates will wipe out all of your hacks. Accordingly the commands that allow for software upgrades are removed or commented out.
    You can edit rc.sysinit file to allow your machine to upgrade BUT you'll lose all of your hacks.

You can either run a hack free machine, upgrade and manually hack, keep running 3.1.0 or wait for someone to come up with an automatic upgrade procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurEd
    Running Xtreme 3.1 since Sept when I got my DSR6000 ...

It has never updated beyond 3.1.0.01. I never got 3.1.1b. Is this "normal" for Xtreme 3.1?

Now that 3.1.1c is rolling out see: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=158234 (fixes the erroneous "acquiring data" message) I may never get that either.

What is really strange though is everytime I force a daily call (using my Internet connection) I get a "pending restart" message and need to reboot.

I would think that meant I got some sort of upgrade, but the forced call download takes literally 2-3 seconds so I doubt that.

2 questions:

Why haven't I ever got the 3.1.1b update? (Been 5+ months)

Why do I always get a pending restart message and need to reboot TiVo?

Thanks

Yes, I was aware of the lost hacks but I also read somewhere here that Extreme did NOT block upgrades. That's why I was confused. I just wanted to get it over with (and get rid of that damn "aquiring sat data" message).
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    Running Directv updates will wipe out all of your hacks. Accordingly the commands that allow for software upgrades are removed or commented out.
    You can edit rc.sysinit file to allow your machine to upgrade BUT you'll lose all of your hacks.

You can either run a hack free machine, upgrade and manually hack, keep running 3.1.0 or wait for someone to come up with an automatic upgrade procedure.

Ed--I haven't seen anyone post getting a "c" update for the series 1 receivers. I'd wait until that update starts to come down. I haven't seen a hack rc.sysinit that DIDN'T comment out or remove the upgrade section.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieurEd
    Yes, I was aware of the lost hacks but I also read somewhere here that Extreme did NOT block upgrades. That's why I was confused. I just wanted to get it over with (and get rid of that damn "aquiring sat data" message).

OK this thread is a little old I realize. I am trying to figure out how to allow the upgrade as I have the same problem. I realize all hacks will be gone and I am Ok with that. Where is the info. located at to help me edit or do what I need to do to allow this update?

What you're looking for could be in several places. Basically, the command "upgradesoftware=false" is somewhere in your system. try running bootpage -b /dev/hda to see if it's there. If it is, remove it with bootpage or edit_bootparms. Or, rc.sysinit could have it in there -- remove it. It's possible that it's located elsewhere in your boot process, so you just have to track it down.

I'm trying to do the opposite -- have it do its thing but suppress the "pending restart" and 2:00 am boot that follows.

Any ideas?
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Ok call me ignorant. I guess I am looking for help on trying to find this. I am not real familiar anymore with finding stuff on the drive Which commands etc...How do I go about finding upgradesoftware=false? I have the drive currently out and in my pc.