Thread: 250GB Maxtor Upgrade

Hybrid View

250GB Maxtor Upgrade

I have a MaXLine Plus II 250GB ATA/133 HD would love to get this puppy into the TIVO.

Problem, I can get the MFS 2.0 to see 250GB it only sees 137.

I've tried DLGCHK without success.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by kooma
    I have a MaXLine Plus II 250GB ATA/133 HD would love to get this puppy into the TIVO.

Problem, I can get the MFS 2.0 to see 250GB it only sees 137.

I've tried DLGCHK without success.

Any ideas?
    There are lba48 enabled bootdisks with MFS tools on them, problem being if you format the drive at 250gig you need to hack the kernel on your tivo so that it can recgonize drives that big. If you put in a drive formatted to 250gig without hacking the kernel you will have your tivo crash or at a minimum be unable to record once it hits a sector beyond 137gig.

Search for LBA48
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

look on tivocommunity.com for todd millers lba48 hack

i believe that lba48 does not work on monte'd TiVos.

the biggest problem with a working lba48 config is a tivo software update with a standard tivo kernel.

The is one other possibility. Way back in the dark ages of DOS when we first hit the 512 Meg, limit Maxtor made drives that had a special jumper setting. This setting would cause the drive to appear as two distinct drives to the motherboard. IF that feature is again available, it would make it easy to use the full capacity of the drive without any special drivers (your 250 Gig drive would appear as two 125 Gig drives). Before trying any special lba48 patches, I would suggest calling Maxtor tech support.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

save your quarter

Thanks guys, I have traded my 250GB drive for 2 - 120GB's....

Ok, now I'm going to try the hacking... ;-) I sure do have a lot of reading to do already at 4 or 5 hrs... don't even know where to start.

I have my Tivo SA2 with upgraded 120GB drives. It is at 4.0.1 with my subscription activated. I also have my virgin 2.0.3 image.

Where do I start? Just point me in the right direction, as I want to learn it not just get a 1,2,3 instruction plan.

Thanks guys...