Thread: SA 1 Constantly Rebooting at Tivo Screen

15 SA 1 Constantly Rebooting at Tivo Screen

I'm new to this, so bear with me. First I've had a Tivo since 1999, purchasing a second one in 2001 to replace the first one when Tivo support said it was bad. I've been using my 2nd Tivo now and just put a new WD 120 GB hard drive for my A drive. I want to say that without this forum I wouldn't have a clue to begin. I've also ordered a cache card from 9th Tee and am looking forward to installing that. What I want to try to do now is try to get my original Tivo unit running. I kept it in the closet and after reading alot of posts, think I might have a chance with some help from of you guys. I took my original HD from working Tivo and made a backup, which I used to make my image on my new drive. I placed the original HD into the defunct Tivo and booted it up. What is happening is the machine keeps rebooting at the Tivo screen. I restarted the unit several times, reseating the cable ribbon, replacing the cable ribbon, cleaning the PS connector to MB, also after reading several posts, renamed from the tvbin directory the modemtest and fanmonitor files. I did that because I seem to remember that the tech had said orginally that the modem was the problem, and on one reboot I got a screen stating the internal temp. was too high and the unit had to be shut down. The fan is working and I hear the hard drive spinning. I noticed on the sticky posted by Cali that he had broken the potential problems into sections, but I only see posts for sections 2 and 3. Is it listed somewhere else?
    By the way, both are Phillips SA 1 models, and I did try swapping master and cable select on HD

Last edited by jamfoo; 02-07-2004 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfoo
    I'm new to this, so bear with me. First I've had a Tivo since 1999, purchasing a second one in 2001 to replace the first one when Tivo support said it was bad. I've been using my 2nd Tivo now and just put a new WD 120 GB hard drive for my A drive. I want to say that without this forum I wouldn't have a clue to begin. I've also ordered a cache card from 9th Tee and am looking forward to installing that. What I want to try to do now is try to get my original Tivo unit running. I kept it in the closet and after reading alot of posts, think I might have a chance with some help from of you guys. I took my original HD from working Tivo and made a backup, which I used to make my image on my new drive. I placed the original HD into the defunct Tivo and booted it up. What is happening is the machine keeps rebooting at the Tivo screen. I restarted the unit several times, reseating the cable ribbon, replacing the cable ribbon, cleaning the PS connector to MB, also after reading several posts, renamed from the tvbin directory the modemtest and fanmonitor files. I did that because I seem to remember that the tech had said orginally that the modem was the problem, and on one reboot I got a screen stating the internal temp. was too high and the unit had to be shut down. The fan is working and I hear the hard drive spinning. I noticed on the sticky posted by Cali that he had broken the potential problems into sections, but I only see posts for sections 2 and 3. Is it listed somewhere else?
    By the way, both are Phillips SA 1 models, and I did try swapping master and cable select on HD

Were still working on the sticky, so the sections arent missing

You did disable the fan monitoring?
    Would you mind clearing your logs out( maybe delete them) and then reboot the unit.
    Grab the log file off the unit and post it....maybe I can help then, since I have never seen a SA tivo...

Sorry about the miswording

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    Were still working on the sticky, so the sections arent missing

You did disable the fan monitoring?
    Would you mind clearing your logs out( maybe delete them) and then reboot the unit.
    Grab the log file off the unit and post it....maybe I can help then, since I have never seen a SA tivo...
    Thanks for replying
    Sorry I should have been more specific about the units, there both Philips HDR 212.
    I was wondering about the log files, but I'm new to this so I wasn't sure where they were kept.
    I renamed the fanmonitor to fanmonitor.orig, will that disable it?
    Also I don't have shell access yet, so I've been placing the HD in computer and using linux boot disk to access files. I'm expecting my cache card this wednesday, which I plan on using on my working unit, but can hold off installing and put it in the defunct unit.
    I think there is a way to connect the unit with a serial cable, but I think I need to get something else to get that to work.
    If you could tell me where the logs are, I'll delete those and post the new log files.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfoo
    Thanks for replying
    Sorry I should have been more specific about the units, there both Philips HDR 212.
    I was wondering about the log files, but I'm new to this so I wasn't sure where they were kept.
    I renamed the fanmonitor to fanmonitor.orig, will that disable it?
    Also I don't have shell access yet, so I've been placing the HD in computer and using linux boot disk to access files. I'm expecting my cache card this wednesday, which I plan on using on my working unit, but can hold off installing and put it in the defunct unit.
    I think there is a way to connect the unit with a serial cable, but I think I need to get something else to get that to work.
    If you could tell me where the logs are, I'll delete those and post the new log files.
    should be in /var/logs
    or var/hack/logs

Someone corret me if im wrong...memory fading here.....

Log files for Philips HDH212

I wasn't sure which files you were wanting, so I'm sending tvlog & tverr. I was trying to get shell access on the unit. My luck the unit didn't accept the default password 'factory',
    so I tried adding the line
    /bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &
    to rc.sysinit, but didn't get me in.
    This is one stubborn Tivo
    Anyway, I would appreciate if you could take a look at it.
    I'm curious about the one line in tvlog
    "Service Test has NULL executable name!"
    Does this mean anything?

Thanks for the help

Hey man, I dunno if I can really help you here.
    I had a similar tivo a while back. It was a dtv unit, and I suspeced a bad memory chip. I just junked the bitch....was worth more in parts to me.

If you can find some-way to stop the boot up early on and write patterns to memory liek 5555,AAAA,FFFF,0000; then read back said memory location, you may be able to pick up a stuck bit from the results.

Do you have any accessories plugged in? Turbonet? cache card? etc? Id pull em all just in case.

-Cali

Cool Thanks for the advice

Sorry I didn't post sooner, was out of town a couple of days. Thanks for your help, I'll put the unit back in the closet, maybe I'll need some parts. I'm looking for another unit on ebay. I just got my cache card in and have been playing with that.