Thread: Extraction & Networking with DTivo

Extraction & Networking with DTivo

Would appreciate a check on my understanding of what I can and can't do as an owner of a DirecTV/Tivo unit in terms of outputting Tivo to my pc-based DVD burner.

I've tried to dig thru the various stickies and FAQ on the subject and I _think I understand that I can't do squat in terms of video extraction without physically removing the Tivo drive to my PC, right?

It seems most hacks start from the assumption that you've gotten to a command prompt with seems to depend on a network connection which is disabled for my unit.

On the other hand...i can caputure S-video and digital audio to my PC so perhaps the 'Save to VCR' gets me to 90% functionality of MPEG2 extraction anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve
    It seems most hacks start from the assumption that you've gotten to a command prompt with seems to depend on a network connection which is disabled for my unit.
    The Command Prompt is not functional in ANY Tivo by default.

You will need to remove the drive from the tivo to Hack it and load the needed Software.

Without removeing the drive there is no way to pull the data off. (Digitaly)

Once the Hacks are installed and functional, there is no need to remove the drive again.

Further answers can be found in the NEWBEE forum

before I completely imerse myself in these procedures I'd apprecaite an overview of what I _won't be able to do in terms of networking/extraction given the hardware i have.

many thankx
    --steve...

That's easy. You can't do squat unless you hack the drive.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

thankx...i got that. But the question remains...after hacking the drive what are the limitations? I've come across enough caveats regarding Series II in general and the DTivo specifically to think this is a valid question ... with no meaningful hits returned by search or subject lined in the stickies.

There are none. The only significant things you can't do relate to onscreen display hacks, like Tivo Control Station. Oh, and tystudio doesn't work with Series 2 streams.
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 03-09-2004 at 07:38 PM.

once you have network access to the tivo it's essentially a goofy little linux box with a killer capture card / software combo

you can easliy pull recordings out, put them back in OR convert to other formats on your pc

as for things that run in the tivo itself? depends on if you're any good with linux or following install guides. remember, it's a cheesy pc but an AWESOME vcr
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer