Thread: /var/hack dir

/var/hack dir

Ok, I had my /var/hack dir deleted awhile ago, so I set it up to erase the /var/log files every day... But today It got deleted.. I dont know why... I read that anything in the /var/ directory is subject to deletion.. Is there any other place I can put the hack dir?? Ie. /etc/

Or is this not a good idea? How can I fix it so it doesnt delete....

I have a HDVR40 series 2

If your logs get too big your var directory will act up. But if you want someplace to put your hack files you can just put them in your / directory.

Quote Originally Posted by cokekid
    Ok, I had my /var/hack dir deleted awhile ago, so I set it up to erase the /var/log files every day... But today It got deleted.. I dont know why... I read that anything in the /var/ directory is subject to deletion.. Is there any other place I can put the hack dir?? Ie. /etc/

Or is this not a good idea? How can I fix it so it doesnt delete....

I have a HDVR40 series 2

You can put them anywhere as long as you are not using the BASH_ENV method.

There is a hitch. Some utilities need to be able to write to the location where their executable is stored. In this case you must remount root read/write before executing them. Not exactly a great idea becasue this mechnism prevents rouge software from corrupting system files. Unfortunately, there is no "easy" perfect solution.

I store utilities in 2 places:
    /usr/local for those that execute read only
    /var/local for those that execute read/write

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    You can put them anywhere as long as you are not using the BASH_ENV method.

There is a hitch. Some utilities need to be able to write to the location where their executable is stored. In this case you must remount root read/write before executing them. Not exactly a great idea becasue this mechnism prevents rouge software from corrupting system files. Unfortunately, there is no "easy" perfect solution.

I store utilities in 2 places:
    /usr/local for those that execute read only
    /var/local for those that execute read/write
    A decent solution to me would be shrink one of the partitions and create a partition of your own to house hacks. The tivo software wouldn't know this partition exisits and so it would never clear it.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    A decent solution to me would be shrink one of the partitions and create a partition of your own to house hacks. The tivo software wouldn't know this partition exisits and so it would never clear it.
    Yep! However, for most that is not an "easy" solution. It is also not an "easy" solution to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Yep! However, for most that is not an "easy" solution. It is also not an "easy" solution to support.
    Yeah I agree, you have to understand whats going on with partitions and whatnot, I guess most tivo hackers (I mean hacked tivo users) now days don't know about all that Maybe we should teach them.

EDIT: btw the smile was there on purpose, I'm being sarcastic, teaching the masses becomes an intractable task.
    Last edited by malfunct; 02-09-2004 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Enter sarcasm mode
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)