Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rules 2..

New rules 2..

I have posted my reply in the original thread but I feel that the thread has just gotten too long to follow. Let's keep all new discussion here.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

Ok,
    Here is the deal, I want you guys to take a look at www.vbulletin.org it's a forum that deals with hacks for vBulletin software (what we run here). In either case I believe these guys have the best organization, forums, sub forums and etc.. Everything is well organized and kept clean, easy to follow. I really want you guys to browse that site and tell me what you guys think of their layout. Is it something you would want here? Because it could be done.

I sure would like to hear input on this issue.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

27 Too busy

I like the layout the way it is. Fast and easy and well organized.

Just my 2 cents.

A quick look at the vb.org site is that their homepage is rather busy but the way their forums are laid out is very nice and organized. I will browse it more tomorrow but I did like their organization of the forum.

I like the forum layout, very clear lines in the sand as to where to post.

DSR6000 - 3.1 - 120gb
    HDVR2 - Just for hacking

The site is well organized, as is this one. One feature or hack we do not anymore, "Show All Posts One Page Feature" works there. I, and probably many others, like and use this feature because it is a great search tool on a thread that has 300 to 1500 replies.

Thanks for hosting the best Tivo hacking site on the web,
    Mikey

Lightbulb I just wish the ad hominem attacks would cease...

. . . as they represent a significant portion of the "noise" in the purported S/N ratio. Mainly because they provoke continued ad hominem "discussion".

IMHO, these attacks are worse than "noob" questions. There's a fairly clear and obvious difference between a new user, and a "clueless noob". Fortunately, many DDB members and moderators post clear but polite reminders while providing direction to the new users, and warn them politely, as well. New users respect and appreciate this direction and warning, "clueless noobs" don't.

That's my two cents worth. Disagreements with my opinion are warmly welcomed and encouraged. Attacks on my personal character are quickly ignored.
    keith721
    ------------------------------------------------
    Series 1 SVR-2000 w/TurboNet

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim
    Ok,
    Here is the deal, I want you guys to take a look at www.vbulletin.org it's a forum that deals with hacks for vBulletin software (what we run here).
    I guess if you are asking what options or different hacks people would like to see, I have one...

On another forum I read (The Home Theater Forum) it has a "first unread post" at the end of each thread link. This is really handy when there is a long thread you are following. Come back a few days later and instead of searching around from where you left off you can click the link and go right back to the first post that's new since you've been there last.

Very handy.

Oh yeah, a "spell check" option would be nice too

There is a New Posts button at the top of your page. Press that, and you will get all the changed threads since the last time you were here. In the list of changed threads, there is a big blue button with a down arrow on it just to the left of the thread name. This button will take you to the first new unread post in that thread.

The only problem I have is it assumes you have read all of them, and marks them "read", even if you haven't actually gone to the post.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Vadim,

Just reminding you about adding a Linux forum.

Is there any way if a post is edited that it shows up on the RADAR so that we can see that a change has been made?

Quote Originally Posted by SR712
    There is a New Posts button at the top of your page. Press that, and you will get all the changed threads since the last time you were here. In the list of changed threads, there is a big blue button with a down arrow on it just to the left of the thread name. This button will take you to the first new unread post in that thread.

The only problem I have is it assumes you have read all of them, and marks them "read", even if you haven't actually gone to the post.
    I had not noticed that before but I still don't think it's what I suggested (I may just be doing it wrong). Doing the above takes you to the last post of the thread. What I suggest takes you to what was the last post the last time you read the thread.

In other words, let's say you are reading a long thread and are on page 13, post 5. You don't get back to the board for a week. You come back and the thread is 20 pages long. The hack I am suggesting would take you to page 13 post 6, not page 20. After a week how many people remember what page and post they were on before?

Again, if I'm just missing this existing feature it's probably because I'm slow....

It would be really great if the results of "New Posts" were ordered by forum and then by date instead of just date.

There are some forums that I just don't care to look at. Sometimes my time is limited and I don't want to see the "newbie" posts right then. Its a way of filtering out the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog
    I had not noticed that before but I still don't think it's what I suggested (I may just be doing it wrong). Doing the above takes you to the last post of the thread. What I suggest takes you to what was the last post the last time you read the thread.

In other words, let's say you are reading a long thread and are on page 13, post 5. You don't get back to the board for a week. You come back and the thread is 20 pages long. The hack I am suggesting would take you to page 13 post 6, not page 20. After a week how many people remember what page and post they were on before?

Again, if I'm just missing this existing feature it's probably because I'm slow....
    Ummmm.... Big Blue Button with Down Arrow? I don't know about you, but it takes me to the First New Post, not the Last Post. If I wanted to go to the Last Post, I would click the Last Post Button, which is a Big Blue Button with a Right Arrow.

Plus, I agree with Sleeper, above.
    Last edited by SR712; 02-16-2004 at 12:34 PM.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Quote Originally Posted by SR712
    Ummmm.... Big Blue Button with Down Arrow? I don't know about you, but it takes me to the First New Post, not the Last Post. If I wanted to go to the Last Post, I would click the Last Post Button, which is a Big Blue Button with a Right Arrow.

Plus, I agree with Sleeper, above.
    All hail the mighty SR712 who showed Lost Dog the errors of his ways!

Damn. I'm such a wanker.

I was clicking on the over arrow.

I think I'll go play some UT2004 now....