Thread: Tytool VOB and DVD architect - hit or miss?

Tytool VOB and DVD architect - hit or miss?

Anyone using Tytool created VOB files in DVD architect without having to surrender to video re-encoding? I have an S1 set to capture at 720x480 and I rip and edit in tytool. I also make the VOB files in tytool with the audio setting at 5. My first attempt bringing the VOB file into DVD architect was a great success. If anyone has ever used it - you know that when you go to prepare the dvd it will warn of any problems with your source files. On my first attempt with a half hour show - the program only wanted to convert the audio (to ac3 I assume). That is fine with me. Now, I rip, edit, and VOB mux another half hour show (captured at the exact same setting) and lo and behold it wants to re-encode the video (as well as the audio). I then captured 3 more half hour shows and all three didn't pass the test with DVD architect. So, I went back and re-ripped the first half hour show, edit, and mux - and it works just fine as before. What could be causing one show to work and three others to not? And when I say work - they play fine in PowerDVD - they just don't work with DVD architect.

I think most people just use TyTool all the way to the final fileset now, there's not many reasons not to.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    I think most people just use TyTool all the way to the final fileset now, there's not many reasons not to.
    Even people using other tools to create more control for menus (button links, motion menus, background effects, many fonts, etc.) go all the way and use the final VOBs to keep the perfect sync TyTool creates.

With DVDlab to create menus using the VOBs created with TyTool:
    - use TyTool9r2 to extract, create key, edit keys, vob-mux and create IFO files/dirs (without chapters, set chapters to 99 or mod make.bat to remove the chapters command)
    - get the VOBs into DVDlab (if single VOB 'VTS_01_1.VOB' just select use without demux, if multiple VOBs 'VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB' select join first opening 'VTS_01_1.VOB' without demuxing)
    - in DVDlab use Tools - Rewrite GOP timecode... to fix any errors in each VOB
    - author your DVD with the menus you want, compile, make sure there is audio (if no audio you can fix that with Tools - 'IFO editor audio' option after compile) and burn
    The VOBs are not demuxed so you don't get sync problems and DVDlab can work with 480x480 files without patching.

Question

I appreciate the nudge in the direction of using Tytool all the way through. I have made a few DVDs with Tytool alone and they work fine. My question, though, deals with using the VOB files created from Tytool in another program and more specifically why one VOB would work and three others would not - with all four being made the exact same way. These are shows captured from cable from the same station. As a test (and maybe it really wasn't that good of a test) - I sent all of the episodes through Tytools (I'm using 8r6) capture, make key, edit key, create VOB, and finally create IFOs. And then I took those VOBs and imported them into DVD architect and I get the exact same results - the same 1 works and the 3 others do not. Can anyone offer some advice or something I could do to these VOBs so they will work?

Try TyTool9r2:
    - without cuts
    - with only GOP cuts
    - with only FAE cuts
    - with a mix of GOP and FAE cuts
    - use audio option #7

if any of your problem files work with any of this, you can use that to make other work. Try audio #7 to encode to AC3 to see if that helps to not reencode the audio.

Is weird than an app that can use VOBs can't work with some VOBs.

In DVDlab there are issues with chapters if the timecode is not continous. If you cut with TyTool (any version) the timecode 'jumps' from the time before cut to time after cut, so if you cut min 2 to 5, then the time code jumps from 1min 59 sec to 5min 1 sec. You can 'fix' this using ReStream, womble mpeg-vcr or DVDlab Tools - Rewrite timecode option. Don't know if this may be your problem.

Another 'problem' with DVDlab is when the VOB contains many cell IDs, so I create my VOBs with TyTool without chapters (set to 99min while creating IFOs if the show is less than that, or changing make.bat if the show is longer than that). Maybe this is your problem.

I hope that you can test all of this and find a way to make it work for you. If you find a way to make it work, please post back, so others than use or will use DVD Architect in the future can find the way to make it work.

So you are capturing at 720x480, what bitrate? maybe the bitrate fall or go higher than what DVD Architect wants (this can be only for certain shows if you use VBR).
    Last edited by bato; 02-16-2004 at 12:33 AM. Reason: use audio option #7, bitrate comment

One other thing you might try (and I don't remember if this is even an issue with SA TiVos) is setting the Patch Audio Holes option in TYTool. And let us all know if this fixes the problem.

ew