Thread: DSR6000 with 3.1.0b .. now what?

DSR6000 with 3.1.0b .. now what?

Ok I have a DSR6000 with stock 3.1.0b. It has never been hacked. I just put a TurboNet card in and I'd like to get a telnet daemon going so I can telnet in and run tivoweb, autoscramble/noscramble, mfs_ftp, etc. I've been reading for a few hours and even tried modding /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (tivo undid the changes on first boot). All of the hacking info I have run across for the s1 dtivos seems to assume that you've been hacking all along and had 2.5xtreme or whatever already installed before 3.x came out.

So... what do I need to do to hack starting with stock 3.1.0b? Do I need to reflash the prom with a hacked prom? Do I have to downgrade to a hacked 2.5.2 distro and then upgrade to 3.1 again? i'd prefer not to loose all settings and even recorded shows if possible.

I think the nic install disk available from www.silicondust.com does the job.

http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/..._software.html

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyb
    Ok I have a DSR6000 with stock 3.1.0b. It has never been hacked. I just put a TurboNet card in and I'd like to get a telnet daemon going so I can telnet in and run tivoweb, autoscramble/noscramble, mfs_ftp, etc. I've been reading for a few hours and even tried modding /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (tivo undid the changes on first boot). All of the hacking info I have run across for the s1 dtivos seems to assume that you've been hacking all along and had 2.5xtreme or whatever already installed before 3.x came out.

So... what do I need to do to hack starting with stock 3.1.0b? Do I need to reflash the prom with a hacked prom? Do I have to downgrade to a hacked 2.5.2 distro and then upgrade to 3.1 again? i'd prefer not to loose all settings and even recorded shows if possible.

Incidentally, Tivo undid your changes because it has two partitions on the drive that contain data: 4 and 7. Only one is 'active' at a given time. When Tivo updates, it takes the currently active partition, copies to the formerly inactive partition, and makes the update (in other words, it maintains a backup). In order for your manual hacks to persist, you need to either disable updating or do it to both partitions. Sleeper's ISO handles this for you...

I don't think sleepers ISO does s1 tivo's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    Incidentally, Tivo undid your changes because it has two partitions on the drive that contain data: 4 and 7. Only one is 'active' at a given time. When Tivo updates, it takes the currently active partition, copies to the formerly inactive partition, and makes the update (in other words, it maintains a backup). In order for your manual hacks to persist, you need to either disable updating or do it to both partitions. Sleeper's ISO handles this for you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    No, no updates happened. It was already at the latest (3.1.0b). I just did an mfsrestore so partition 7 isnt even formatted. I made the change to partition 4, booted tivo once, and the change s were undone on 4.

I saw the turbonet iso installer but it seemed so.. dated. like it had mfstools 1.1 and the nic_install installs drivers but those are already included in 3.1.0b and I read somewhere that said dont use nic_install if you have newer software like 3.1. There is a tivoflash on there which looks important, but is it an older ver? is there a risk there? is there a newer tivoflash somewhere?

Plz help the whiny needy n00b

Thanks
    Last edited by freakyb; 02-15-2004 at 02:45 PM.

Yes its dated. You don't need to install the nic drivers in 3.x. They are included in the software. You do however have to flash the prom and kill initrd. Then copy over the binaries. As for the flash, it works fine under 3.1.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyb
    I saw the turbonet iso installer but it seemed so.. dated. like it had mfstools 1.1 and the nic_install installs drivers but those are already included in 3.1.0b and I read somewhere that said dont use nic_install if you have newer software like 3.1. There is a tivoflash on there which looks important, but is it an older ver? is there a risk there? is there a newer tivoflash somewhere?

Plz help the whiny needy n00b

Thanks