Thread: rc.sysinit.author will not load

rc.sysinit.author will not load

hey all

have a question, i have a hdvr2 that all of a sudden it seems that my rc.sysiinit.author file will not load , i cannot watch any of my saved shows, tells me that there must not have been any video source.

during bootup while imonitor on bash it shows this:
    Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: Permission denied
    rc.sysinit is complete

when i boot mfstools2.0 with drive in pc, and mount /dev/hda7 , i go to the /etc/rc.d dir and rc.sysinit.author is gone , along with my backup files i had in there. i vi'd a new one and typed it all out and saved and chmod 777'd it. and rebooted. now my saved shows will play but i get no bash or ethernet, and that rc.sysinit.author no permission msg

if I boot back into mfstools2.0 and look at the /etc/rc.d folder, my rc.sysinit.author file is gone again

Any ideas why,
    Thanks
    Ghost_rdr

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_rdr
    hey all

have a question, i have a hdvr2 that all of a sudden it seems that my rc.sysiinit.author file will not load , i cannot watch any of my saved shows, tells me that there must not have been any video source.

during bootup while imonitor on bash it shows this:
    Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: Permission denied
    rc.sysinit is complete

when i boot mfstools2.0 with drive in pc, and mount /dev/hda7 , i go to the /etc/rc.d dir and rc.sysinit.author is gone , along with my backup files i had in there. i vi'd a new one and typed it all out and saved and chmod 777'd it. and rebooted. now my saved shows will play but i get no bash or ethernet, and that rc.sysinit.author no permission msg

if I boot back into mfstools2.0 and look at the /etc/rc.d folder, my rc.sysinit.author file is gone again

Any ideas why,
    Thanks
    Ghost_rdr

was looking in the wrong partition
    its fine now

You know you can chmod 777 the rc.sysinit.author from the bash shell right? You dont have to put the drive back in your computer unless you cant get bash...

You know you can chmod 777 the rc.sysinit.author from the bash shell right? You dont have to put the drive back in your computer unless you cant get bash...
    If bash was being called from rc.sysinit.author then he wouldn't get bash, would he? That's the catch22 of calling bash from rc.sysinit.author instead of rc.sysinit. Sleeper's ISO puts bash in the rc.sysinit.author file by default so if you don't make the file executable you lose bash and none of your hacks will work.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    If bash was being called from rc.sysinit.author then he wouldn't get bash, would he? That's the catch22 of calling bash from rc.sysinit.author instead of rc.sysinit. Sleeper's ISO puts bash in the rc.sysinit.author file by default so if you don't make the file executable you lose bash and none of your hacks will work.

yes thats correct, i was not getting BASH, i did get it resolved as I was making the stupid mistake of mounting hda7 and chmodding the file in the etc/rc.d there instead of the hda4 partition that i should have been doing it in

Thanks
    Ghost

ah! now im glad I manually hacked my box and put bash on rc.sysinit cause back when I was super noob I musta forgot to chmod rc.sysinit.author like 5 times...

Quote Originally Posted by acr2001
    ah! now im glad I manually hacked my box and put bash on rc.sysinit cause back when I was super noob I musta forgot to chmod rc.sysinit.author like 5 times...
    (Paraphrasing) "Knowledge comes from experience. Experience comes from making mistakes." "Wisdom is learning from someone else's mistakes."

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I am having a similar problem. I know this thread is old. I believe my rc.sysinit permissions are wrong since I editted out my tyserver startup lines on my mac in a unix aware editor. ftp'd it back, forgot about perms.

Stuck at Tivo boot screen

Tried to mnt the drive on a linux booted mfstools 2.0 CD but couldn't access the rc.d dir?

help

full details here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=253977

Quote Originally Posted by vwDavid
    I am having a similar problem. I know this thread is old. I believe my rc.sysinit permissions are wrong since I editted out my tyserver startup lines on my mac in a unix aware editor. ftp'd it back, forgot about perms.

Stuck at Tivo boot screen

Tried to mnt the drive on a linux booted mfstools 2.0 CD but couldn't access the rc.d dir?

help

full details here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=253977
    In my youth I enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock's mysteries. As I've matured, I've discovered they're a lot more fun to read than to experience.

I've tried to figure out why you didn't follow the advice of the last poster at TCF. He gave you a pointer to follow if you have a Series 1 system - do it, or explain why it doesn't apply.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.