Thread: Why would one type of image work and one not?

Why would one type of image work and one not?

My first DVD burn was done with DVD-Lab (still on trial edition). It ran fine on some computers but on the JVC dvd player in the media room, while the nice pretty menus I like so much are fine, the video itself plays for a few seconds, then goes silent and starts an infinite loop.

I say the burn was with DVD-Lab but thats not strictly true - DVD-Lab compiled the DVD files, then I used Nero Express to create the DVD-Video disk because D-Lab didn't like my burner.

My second DVD burn was done with DVD files compiled by TyTools. They worked perfectly, but, and with no disrespect to Tytools - the auto-genned menus are inadequate for my goal - I want to be able to eventually create nested menus with chapter lists and other special features...

My third DVD burn was back to DVD-Lab but this time I demuxd the vob files inside DVD Lab hoping for better compliance. No good - same issue.

What would cause this and what should I read to learn about how to get DVD Lab created DVD files made from Tytool processed ty files, complete with cuts by GOPEditor, to work properly?

Compile the DVD in DVD-Lab and get your AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder/fileset and burn it in Nero and instead of Nero Express. Burn the compilation as a UDF/ISO disc instead of a DVD-Video disk. If you still have issues with your JVC player then I'd suggest looking for a different player.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Compile the DVD in DVD-Lab and get your AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder/fileset and burn it in Nero and instead of Nero Express. Burn the compilation as a UDF/ISO disc instead of a DVD-Video disk. If you still have issues with your JVC player then I'd suggest looking for a different player.
    Thanks Cap'n - I'll give that a try. Been using Nero Express because that came with the laptop. Hopefully there's a trial version of the full blown Nero I can test with before committing more $$ to this project.

I don't have any plans to get a new player - I like the JVC. If it comes down to it, since the TyTools burn works, if thats what I gotta use, I will.

What is a UDF/ISO disk?

Check this post, 7th link from the bottom, for finding a copy of Nero. I believe UDF/ISO is basically a data disk format. Your DVD player should be able to recognize the file structure that's created from the DVD compilation process. Certain players may need specififc parameters set up during the burn process (e.g. XBox compatibility for one) but basically they're just looking for the correct file structure on the disk. I'm sure this is an oversimplified explanation and there are other sites you can look into if you're really interested in the various burning formats. Suffice it to say that I've tried boith DVD-Video and UDF/ISO formats and UDF/ISO seems to be compatible with more players than DVD-Video from my personal experience.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Not sure I agree with CV. If you're able to use Nero Express to burn your dvd files created with tytoosl you should be able to do the same thing to burn your dvd files created with dvd lab. I don't think Nero is your problem.

I suggest you spend the time to go through the DVD Lab thread and see what you may be doing wrong.

I've gotten good results with TMGENC DVD Author. You have to patch the header to 720 so you can import the file.

I missed the part about burning the TyTools files with Nero. Newbie is correct in assuming that you should be able to use Nero for either set of files. If it works for one it should work for the other. Burning with DVD-Lab would depend on whether your burner is supported.

One thing that's never been mentioned is what kind of Tivo you're using as your source for ty files. If it's a DTivo then you should have no problem using the mpegs generated from the ty files directly. If it's a SA Tivo then you may be running into problems with oddball resolutions or incorrect sampling rate for the audio.

I use DVD-Lab all the time now for creating compilations from my DTivos with intro audio and nice menus and it works great. TyTools is fine for creating basic menus for movies and some of the shows I like to archive but DVD-Lab allows you to create a finished product with far more features. I still use TyTool for my extraction and editing chores (the FAE feature is fantastic) and then finish the project with DVD-Lab.

It's standalone, and it does appear to be oddball resolutions. I'll look for the DVD-Lab link to read up on it.

Look into setting the resolution of your SA Tivo to a DVD standard. There are posts here that should be able to help you get it setup. I don't have a SA Tivo so I can't help you with it but I have seen info posted on doing it.