Thread: Network Speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Network Speed

sorry if i'm covering old ground, but the speed of my file transfer with tytool is very slow.

What's the quickest way to get a TY file off my UK Tivo? should i go down the FTP root?

Cheers

M0nk3y
    UK Tivo 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by m0nk3y
    sorry if i'm covering old ground, but the speed of my file transfer with tytool is very slow.

What's the quickest way to get a TY file off my UK Tivo? should i go down the FTP root?

Cheers

M0nk3y
    All the methods use a very similar mechanic for transmitting the video files; if you get slow speeds with TyTool the chances are you won't see any improvement switching to mfs_ftp or TyStudio.

Concentrate instead of tweaking to get a better throughput.

I get about 1.7MB/s on my UK TiVo, touching 1.9MB/s on a good day.

Areas to look at which worked for me:

hdparm settings - set to allow multisect
    ideturbo settings - set to false
    ensure everything else on the network is forced to 100 mode
    partition optimisation - backup and restore with msftools 2
    switch to a cachecard
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Thanks Sanderton,

I see you a lot on the UK forum, but easier to talk on here.
    I'll try what you suggest, just seems vey slow recently.

BTW, how are you measuring network speed, just within your OS or do you have something else.

Cheers

M0nk3y
    UK Tivo 2.5

Computer plays a role.

Also keep in mind your computer might factor into the transfer. I just upgraded from Win98se on a celeron 300a with a 100mbit card to a P4 2.4C with WinXP using the built in gigalan card (only at 100mbit ). I've gone from a max speed of 780KByte/sec up to 1.3MByte/s both using mfs_ftp and filezilla. Now I don't know if it was XP or the new hardware but you can see the difference. I didn't change anything on the tivo side. I'm using a HDVR2 with a USB200M USB2.0 adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by m0nk3y
    BTW, how are you measuring network speed, just within your OS or do you have something else.
    My FTP client (SmartFTP) shows the speed.

I got the most dramatic speed improvement when I manually forced all the PCs on my home net and the router to 100 Full Duplex instead of automatic, although I suspect that's because the TiVos are on the other side of two switches, and I think the double switch was foxing the automatic speed detection somehow.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

memory is more important a factor than processor speed

I get only 3Mbps (0.375 MBytes\s) wirelessly with my UK tivo Theres a known "something" that prevents a turboneted tivo from running at high transfer rates on a wireless network (to do with lining up the packets of data ready to send with the radio broadcast packets) ... i WAS getting 0.7MB/s with just 2 bits of wifi kit, now that I've introduced a wireless ADSL router is seems to have dropped my LAN speed (hey ho) - yet to find the cause of that!

Duncan