Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Network Speed

Does n't matter if you unpack on PC or TiVo. You'll need to change the privs if you do it on the pC, is all.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Cheers guys.. got it working now. Speed has gone up to 1.12 happy days.

how did i put up with the transfer speeds before?

BTW what do you do with your TMF files? Do you use the utils on the forum..if so what's the commands etc. I used winrar, but i got a load of errors in tytool.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

M
    UK Tivo 2.5

Main thing about tmfs was that they could be re-inserted. However Riley has made .ty's downloaded by mfs_ftp re-insertable too, so there isn't a very clear cut reason for using them as an end user,
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    Main thing about tmfs was that they could be re-inserted. However Riley has made .ty's downloaded by mfs_ftp re-insertable too, so there isn't a very clear cut reason for using them as an end user,
    so your saying just dowmload the TY's ? is that what you do?
    Ive got the module running on tivowenplus also, that does the Ty's.. seems a little slower though.

I just want a quick and easy way to extract and save. MFS_ftp does download a lot quicker!
    UK Tivo 2.5

Plenty actually. TMF preserves all of the information about that stream that the tivo currently has (e.g. title, episode name, description, actors, genre, time recorded, original air date, etc) whereas TY does not preserve any of this.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    Plenty actually. TMF preserves all of the information about that stream that the tivo currently has (e.g. title, episode name, description, actors, genre, time recorded, original air date, etc) whereas TY does not preserve any of this.
    I thought that ty+ did this too, but at the end of the file as opposed to the start of the file.

The only real difference I have found is that an inserted tmf file shows up correctly on the 'now playing list' right away because the xml data is at the start of the file. The TY file has the same data but at the end of the file.

I believe that TMF is truer to the actual data structures Tivo uses to store recordings (fsids, chunks, etc). Riley has said that it is 'better for archiving'.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

Quote Originally Posted by cojonesdetoro
    The only real difference I have found is that an inserted tmf file shows up correctly on the 'now playing list' right away because the xml data is at the start of the file. The TY file has the same data but at the end of the file.

I believe that TMF is truer to the actual data structures Tivo uses to store recordings (fsids, chunks, etc). Riley has said that it is 'better for archiving'.
    Yep, TMF is much cleaner and more organized as well, and you can manipulate TMF files with everyday programs. (change the contents with winrar, edit the xml file with an ordinary text editor, etc) TY+ is just a bunch of files concatonated together.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by m0nk3y
    Cheers guys.. got it working now. Speed has gone up to 1.12 happy days.
    You're using a wired link right?

you can manipulate TMF files with everyday programs. (change the contents with winrar, edit the xml file with an ordinary text editor, etc) er.
    I did say "to the end user" -most folks leave their ty's intact.
    Stuart

"You're using a wired link right?"

Yes, a wired link through a router
    UK Tivo 2.5

I did say "to the end user" -most folks leave their ty's intact.
    Well, the end user could easily change the stream title, description, rating, etc.

Besides that though, there are other potential uses that haven't been exploited yet. Namely, you could use the TMFs to automatically fill in title information for DVDs that you burn, or display that information if you play it off of the tivo, etc.

Well, the end user could easily change the stream title, description, rating, etc.

Besides that though, there are other potential uses that haven't been exploited yet. Namely, you could use the TMFs to automatically fill in title information for DVDs that you burn, or display that information if you play it off of the tivo, etc.
    You obviously have a different image of a tyoical end user's capabilities to me.

I prefer the tmf format too (actually there are are a couple of extensions to it I'd like to see). But right now there's no compelling reason to choose it over tmf, and ty/ty+ has some advantages (like frame accurate editing in TyTool).
    Stuart

Going back to the speed thing that was the topic.. I get a good speed with my one PC inside my lan, but not the other. The only difference is that the pc that runs dog slow when ftp -ing files has a gigabit port. Even though this is set to 100/full. Ive tried to upgrade the drivers on this.. but it's the same.

On a different note i seem to get a dropped connection when using MFS-ftp.. server side seems to stop?
    UK Tivo 2.5

Tweaking settings

The thing I've noticed is that the PC I use to download to was routinely getting about c. 1MB per second.

I then "optimized" the network settings (MTU/RWin etc) for internet performance, and the extraction from tivo fell to about 70-100KB per second.

I returned it to window defaults, and the speed went back up to c. 1MB per second.

Is there an optimal packet setting for tivo-pc performance, I wonder?