Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-by-step LBA48 to xtreme 2.52

Step-by-step LBA upgrade (25xtreme or image) method

2 methods to restore and enable the large disk upgrade:

Imaging Method (already have an image?)
    Click here

25xtreme Method (starting with a fresh drive)
    Click here
    Last edited by newbr; 11-28-2004 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Bigger image

Quote Originally Posted by newbr
    I'm trying to put some instructions together for getting lba48 working with xtreme 2.5.2; So far here's what I got; any ideas why it doesn't work?
    Upgrading using 250gb A drive on /hdc (second master), 250gb B drive on /hdd

1: boot ptvupgrade iso with lba48 support
    2: umount /dev/hdb (cdrom)
    3: put in 25xtreme iso
    4: mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
    5: ls /cdrom (ensure that it has the .mfs file)

Restore the xtreme image to the tivo (350mb is the swap space for 500 gigs) /dev/hdc is the "A" drive
    6: "mfsrestore -x -s 350 -zpi /cdrom/.../25xtreme.mfs /dev/hdc"
    7: umount the xtreme cdrom

Upgrade xtreme to 2.5.2
    8: put in xupgrade.iso cd, mount it, change dir to upg252
    9: run upgrd252.sh (no -p needed) *this will put the slice files on the drive*
    10: umount the xupgrade iso, mount the original ptvupgrade iso and run copykern
    11: finally run mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd (hdd is the tivo "B" drive)

* Any idea if step 9 requires one to place the drive in the tivo (if so then the drive may not be recognized by the 2.5 kernel*

I guess one could probably eliminate steps 2-5, 8-9 with a 2.52 xtreme image
    Line 6 command line should read "mfsrestore -s 350 -xzpi /mnt/Your cd drive/25xtreme.mfs /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
    then after the restore is finished, enter this command
    #umount -f -a -r
    press control, alt, delete to stop all process's . when the computer restarts, turn off the computer.
    Remove the HD's from the computer, install it in you Tivo and allow it to boot. This will verify the restore worked.
    Pull the HD's out, reinstall in your pc, and insert the 252xtreme.iso cd.
    hit enter twice to load and log in.
    enter this:
    #upgrd252.sh -p
    if this is the first time your tivo has been upgraded to 2.5.2 ,then you will need to flash the prom with the -p switch.
    I always included the -p switch after every upgrade just to play it safe. even if the prom has been flashed before, flashing it again won't hurt it.
    After the upgrade is complete, remove the drives and place them back in your tivo and allow it to boot up.(it will reboot at least once after flashing the prom)
    after a successful boot, power down the tivo, remove the drives and install them back in your pc.
    install the lba48.iso disc in the cd drive and power your computer back up and boot to the c.d.
    follow the on screen instructions for the kernel update.
    Remove from pc and install in tivo. after the boot-up
    go to the system info screen and verify that your recording capacity is about
    450hrs or so.(maybe more or less)
    One thing to note is that when you use the command line switch "-xzpi" above, the "x" is to expand the drive thus not needing to run the mfsadd command.
    I'm no expert by any means, I just upgraded to 2 Seagate 200gig hd's and this is how I did it.
    Hope it helps
    Singingfrog

Thanks for clarifying; I usually do:
    'sync', then 'reboot' instead of umount-ing.

I wonder if we can save a step and put the xupgrade.iso files onto /dev/hdc somewhere before pulling it from the pc (after mfsrestore); is there any place on /dev/hdc that's not going to be overwritten when the software installs?

Thanks for clarifying; I usually do:
    'sync', then 'reboot' instead of umount-ing.

I wonder if we can save a step and put the xupgrade.iso files onto /dev/hdc somewhere before pulling it from the pc (after mfsrestore); is there any place on /dev/hdc that's not going to be overwritten when the software installs?
    Yes put them in the hack dir on partition 9 of the tivo drive
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

20 mfsrestore

I have created backup images of 25Xtreme and tivolater31 clean installs. It is then easy to boot the pc with the ptv-mfstools2-large-disk, Run mfsrestore and then copykern and you are done.

but some people might like 2.5.2

Hmm that is weird, after step 8 I can't get it to power up in my tivo. Also trying to put the xupgrade ISO stuff on the drive it won't boot up with swap or dmaswap (i get a "kernel panic must specify root=")

Are we sure it would power up in the tivo with the 2.5 kernel that was on xtreme?

I've read that 2.5 has some stability issue's. The reason for pulling the drives and checking them between loading 2.5 and upgrading to 2.5.2 is to be sure that the upgrade(or restore) worked and that your Tivo is booting properly.
    I know it's a lot of work, but playing it safe is the way to go(for me anyhow)
    Singingfrog

Hmm that is weird, after step 8 I can't get it to power up in my tivo. Also trying to put the xupgrade ISO stuff on the drive it won't boot up with swap or dmaswap (i get a "kernel panic must specify root=")

Are we sure it would power up in the tivo with the 2.5 kernel that was on xtreme?
    When you boot to the 2.5.2 .iso, just hit enter to load the defaults. There's no need from what I've read on your post for "swapping"
    Singingfrog

hmm. that doesn't make sense; if the kernel hack is supposed to support large drives, then it should not work to power it up in the tivo with the old 2.5 kernel (i.e., the larger drives should not be recognized). Is that right?

hmm. that doesn't make sense; if the kernel hack is supposed to support large drives, then it should not work to power it up in the tivo with the old 2.5 kernel (i.e., the larger drives should not be recognized). Is that right?
    "copykern" is so the Tivo will recognize the size of the larger hard drive for recording purpose's. I don't believe it has any affect on the Tivo's ability to boot, but again I'm no expert. I know that by following the instuction on my earlier post, you will be up and running in 30 min's tops. using short cuts will only lead to frustration.(I learded the hard way)
    Singingfrog

Quote Originally Posted by singingfrog
    "copykern" is so the Tivo will recognize the size of the larger hard drive for recording purpose's. I don't believe it has any affect on the Tivo's ability to boot, but again I'm no expert. I know that by following the instuction on my earlier post, you will be up and running in 30 min's tops. using short cuts will only lead to frustration.(I learded the hard way)
    did you boot with the ptvupgrade on the initial mfsrestore? or the 25xtreme?

Booted to the 25xtreme.iso cd and entered:
    25xtreme. The software will do the mounting of your cd drive for you.
    Singingfrog

I'm having some problems with the otherwise simple instructions in this thread. And for the life of me can't figure out how to get around them. At the moment I'm going the slower route of doing a backup of a previous working Tivo drive.

Using Hughes GXCEBOT (Philips DSR6000) Series 1 DirecTivo.

Initial tests done using brand new 200GB Maxtor - unformatted to start of course. Mounted as hdc (Secondary Master) with a CD mounted as hda.

Following the instructions I get the following snags at step 8:

1. Using xupgrade while having booted from the PTV disc just doesn't work. It doesn't recognise my hdc (secondary master) drive when trying to update.

2. Booting from xupgrade instead, it recognises the drive is there but then fails to update stating that the software is the incorrect version (says it's 2.0.somthing)

3. Trying to boot the 2.5Extreme drive in my Tivo just constant reboots the unit at the very first text screen. Does not get to Almost done.

I have tried this without using a large drive also. Same story with a simple Maxtor 40GB.

I have an existing 40GB drive that works fine. It's already running 2.5Extreme with 2.5.2 Xupgrade (older version of Xplusz however - 2.13)

Any help would be appreciated. For starters just getting the 2.5Extreme and Xupgrade going on a drive of any size from scratch.

B

I've updated the instructions to reflect the latest I found. I have a 480 hour tivo now.