Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need direction on enabling USB on DSR704

Need direction on enabling USB on DSR704

Hello,

I have a Phillips DSR704 w/ OS v 3.1.1b-02-2-301.

I noticed it had a USB port on the back and I read it was disabled so I've been doing some investigating. Done lots of reading about mfs_tools, mfs_ftp, TiVoWeb, etc. But not really sure where to start with this.

I first want to get the USB port working then I'll go from there. I've read so many different things about this. Some people say it's easier to do with older OS version. Some people say the newers OSs are harder to keep cracked.

I guess what I'm hoping for is someone to point me in some direction as to where I can find a step-by-step instruction on how to do this and what to use. Then maybe info on enabling back door codes, etc.

-Rob

Two words: Sleeper's tivoscript
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by rjcTivo
    Hello,

I have a Phillips DSR704 w/ OS v 3.1.1b-02-2-301.

I noticed it had a USB port on the back and I read it was disabled so I've been doing some investigating. Done lots of reading about mfs_tools, mfs_ftp, TiVoWeb, etc. But not really sure where to start with this.

I first want to get the USB port working then I'll go from there. I've read so many different things about this. Some people say it's easier to do with older OS version. Some people say the newers OSs are harder to keep cracked.

I guess what I'm hoping for is someone to point me in some direction as to where I can find a step-by-step instruction on how to do this and what to use. Then maybe info on enabling back door codes, etc.

-Rob
    Rob,
    Sleeper's ISO works fine with the Linksys USB200M and ax network drivers.
    I have the same unit and all works fine... Start some hard core reading here.

I have the same unit dsr704 and the usb ports are connected I bought it this way. But I cant get a network connection to extract the movies.
    I have a usb adapter for my tivo & a network adapter in my PC. can I use a crossover cable and how do I make the connection here is the error message I get.

Trancode Selected Mode: 0
    Ready...
    Reading list from the server...
    Clear Now Showing List...
    Connecting to '192.168.0.33'
    ERROR: Failed to Connect!

Quote Originally Posted by micheal1
    I have the same unit dsr704 and the usb ports are connected I bought it this way. But I cant get a network connection to extract the movies.
    I have a usb adapter for my tivo & a network adapter in my PC. can I use a crossover cable and how do I make the connection here is the error message I get.

Ready...
    We definitly need more info. When you say you bought it this way do you mean you bought the tivo pre-hacked? Because if its not setup for usb, just plugging an adapter into it isnt going to work. Also, if the usb is setup, you still have to setup TSERVER in order to extract video on the manner that you are attempting.

dsr704

i have the same system, and i bought mine pre hacked as well from ebay, it is usb enabled but I am having the same problem as listed above how do i get a network connection? step by step needed badly

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tammikm
    i have the same system, and i bought mine pre hacked as well from ebay, it is usb enabled but I am having the same problem as listed above how do i get a network connection? step by step needed badly

thanks

As ACR2001 mentioned, more info is needed before any direction can be offered.

Questions to ponder:

What type of USB adaptor are you using? Do you get a link light when it is connected to your network?

Did they provide you with a pre-configured IP address with the pre-modded unit?

Was the serial port (for serial bash) enabled on this pre-modded unit?

I think if you can provide us with some answers to these questions, we can give you a better idea on how to proceed.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    www.ocomik.net/blog

Ready...
    If you have a link light on your adapter that's a good start. A cross-over will work as long as each node is on the same segment, i.e Tivo (192.168.0.33/255.255.255.0) and PC (192.168.0.34/255.255.255.0), and they are directly connected to each other. Basically you are just setting up a two node network.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net

try this

Ready...
    Open a telnet window, go to your your TYTOOLS directory. Type in "TSERVER" . It should say waiting for incoming connection. LEave the tlenet window open and then launch the extraction app. The telnet window has to be open.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan
    Open a telnet window, go to your your TYTOOLS directory. Type in "TSERVER" . It should say waiting for incoming connection. LEave the tlenet window open and then launch the extraction app. The telnet window has to be open.
    Why would the telnet window have to remain open?

Quote Originally Posted by acr2001
    Why would the telnet window have to remain open?
    Because the bash shell would be the "parent" of tserver at that point and if you close telnet, the bash shell would exit and tserver would be killed.

If you want tserver to run all the time you need to start in in a context that will not be killed, such as from the rc.sysinit.author.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Two words: Sleeper's tivoscript
    i got two words for you....
    DIDN'T WORK...

Quote Originally Posted by bkavs
    Rob,
    Sleeper's ISO works fine with the Linksys USB200M and ax network drivers.
    I have the same unit and all works fine... Start some hard core reading here.
    This is the same exact setup I have (DSR704 and a USB100M, only I don't get any link lights on the adapter OR THE HUB i have it plugged into, I am getting these errors:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: unknown device
    SIOCSIFCRDADDR: No such device
    eth0: unknown device.

What am I doing wrong? I used the monte script on sleeper's tivoscript, using the ax8817 and pegisus drivers, the lines in my rc.sysinit.author seem correct either way, i just can't get the network functionality to work. This is VERY frustrating.

ALSO: how the hell do you get a bash prompt on a series 2? i have searched and can only find posts with things like "what do you get on your bash output" and things that assume we all magically know how it's done. I have tried what I know from my old series 1, but it does not work.

I appreciate any help!
    Last edited by DSL_MTLCA; 03-18-2004 at 03:57 AM.

No link light suggests a hardware problem.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by DSL_MTLCA
    What am I doing wrong? I used the monte script on sleeper's tivoscript, using the ax8817 drivers, the lines in my rc.sysinit.author seem correct, i just can't get the network functionality to work. This is VERY frustrating.
    I would suggest that you go ahead and post your rc.sysinit.author file to the forum. The more information we have the easier it is to help you.

As for the frustrating part, it definately can be but you just have to be patient, you will eventually get the right answer.

Serial bash - the correct commands are loaded in the rc.sysinit.author by Sleeper's ISO. Do this:

Verify the commands are there. If you're unsure what they should be post it to the board. I have noticed some inconsistancies with the specific syntax and I am not quite sure why.

The cable required needs to be a null modem cable, i.e. tx & rx are crossed. That is pin 2 needs to go to pin 3, pin 3 needs to go to pin 2, pin 5 is straight-through. Check for continuity - Pin 2 (tip), Pin 3 (ring) and pin 5 (sleeve). If you are using one of the cables provided by Tivo or another company it will require a null modem adapter. Perform the continuity check with the null modem adapter attached.

Once you know your continuity is good go ahead and connect one end to your PC and then using hookup wire short pins 2 & 3 on the 1/8" plug end. Open a terminal program and verify that what you types echos back to the screen. If nothing is returned, something is either wrong with your cable, the terminal emulation software, or the port on the PC. If what you type echos back to the screen then you are good to go here.

Connect to your Tivo using the following terminal emulation settings: 115200-N-1, No Flow.

If all of these things check out OK than something maybe wrong with the serial port on your Tivo but it is highly unlikely.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    www.ocomik.net/blog

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    No link light suggests a hardware problem.
    Suggests that he isn't loading the correct drivers, if you don't load the USB and network drivers the USB network device won't activate and thus no lights. Could also be hardware but thats less likely.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)