Thread: Problems creating a DVD file

Problems creating a DVD file

I have been working on extracting files from my HDRV2 unit for the past couple of weeks. I have has some sucess and some failure...

I am currently able to get to the step 5 (Create the DVD file set including an episode menu)

But for some reason Step 6 burning the DVD is giving me problems. I sucessfully burn the DVD, but when I try playing the CDR that I burnt the DVD on with a DVD player software (Blaze audio, DirectDVD), both acknowledge the CDR. But when I press play the software just sits and does nothing...

My wife has me TIVO'ng alot of Old movies on this week and I am running out of room. I am looking for a temporary solution to make sure I get the files off the unit.

I believe the No scramble is working. When I use TYtool to get a file off and use Multiplex mode it creates the Mpg and plays the video perfectly. The audio is just off.

Just would like a answer to a couple of questions...

1. If I use Tytool in TYStream mode to get all the movies. Am I able to put those same .TY files back on the unit at a later time if I want.

2. If I record a movie that is in Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Will I be able to create a DVD that will also have dolby digital surround sound

3. What is the best PC DVD player software to use to test the DVD after creating it.

Any help is appreciated. I am trying to go through the Sticky's and FAQ's but am having a hard time sorting out the S1 and S2 stuff.

If someone has Cobelli's FAQ that they can send me or I can get somewere please let me know. ( I know that everything he wrote is here. But it seems that it may help me out)

All help is appreciated..

Thanks

Ben Raines

Did you ever figure this out?

Did you ever figure this out?

I also have gotten to the dvd burn step but with clicking sound.

FREDD

Quote Originally Posted by count0
    1. If I use Tytool in TYStream mode to get all the movies. Am I able to put those same .TY files back on the unit at a later time if I want.

2. If I record a movie that is in Dolby Digital Surround Sound. Will I be able to create a DVD that will also have dolby digital surround sound

3. What is the best PC DVD player software to use to test the DVD after creating it.
    I can try a couple of answers:

1. You can't put .ty files back on your TiVo. Use mfs_ftp to do this. This tool will extract .ty files very efficiently or will extract .tmf (TiVo Media Files) which include the information needed to interface with the TiVo system when on the TiVo. These can by saved back to TiVo. I've done this successfully.

2. It's my understanding that AC3 sound (Dolby Digital) survives the process if you're careful. I extracted Monsters, Inc. (I know, I know, it was for my daughter) using TyTool direct to .mpg with the Dolby sound option and then used DVD-Lab to burn that directlyl to DVD and it came through in Dolby.

3. The best PC DVD player? I've used Nero, WinDVD, Hero and they all seem to work relatively well. Here's a link to some reviews of PC DVD players. http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/software/players/

I forgot to mention that all my success has been with a SA1, so YMMV.

Good luck!
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."