Thread: Calls fine, no ping, telnet or ftp...

Calls fine, no ping, telnet or ftp...

I originally posted this over in the TivoCommunity forum, but since I have zero responses, I thought I would cross post over to here. ANY comments or even suggestions on how to troubleshoot it further would be appreciated.

=========
    Original Post:
    I have a Sony SVR2000, TivoNet card and a second disk added quite a while back, thanks to all the fine work done by members of this forum. Recently I was experiencing hard drive errors so decided to swap the A drive out for yet more storage (that's my story and I am sticking with it!).

Anyway, at the same time I thought I would start getting into TivoWeb or TivoWebPlus so went about enabling that at the same time. Due to the backup/restore process, there is only an hdc7 and not hdc4 partition (just in case this is relevant to my problem).

I manually added the tnlited to the rc.sysinit and put everything back together. Manual call works fine, updates work fine, firewall log shows outbound connection from the DHCP supplied address for the TiVo. But... I can't ping, telnet or ftp to it. Then I ran nic_install (looking at the script mods done to see what I was doing wrong - minimal diffs). Same result. Calls fine, no ping, telnet, ftp.

I have tried both static and dynamic IPs, verifying the outbound connections using the expected IPs. As near as I can tell, everything that should be in place, is in place. Of course, the only problem is that it doesn't work! I have surfed numerous forums, newsgroups, web sites, etc. and as a last resort I am humbling myself and posting here for help (and abuse).

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations or insight is appreciated. Tonight I will add some debug messages to the rc.sysinit file and dump the logs to see if that wakes me up, but in the interim I will continue my web search for the meaning of life.

Dunno about the ping, but telnet and ftp could be as simple as not backgrounding something you started in rc.sysinit prior to them. Or not having them executable. More information will help track down the problems. Like the last 10-15 lines of rc.sysinit and rc.net and if you have one rc.sysinit.author. Have you checked ifconfig's output to see if your turbonet card was assigned eth0? I've seen problems with some installations having it assigned to something else.

ew

Thanks for the reply. The rc.net entries are the standard nic_install entries and vary depending on whether I am using static or dynamic addressing. I am confident this is correct, since it does call out just fine and I can verify that the addressing being applied is right based on the firewall logs. I do not use an rc.sysinit.author file (yet - thought troubleshooting would be easier using the default config set up by nic_install). In the rc.sysinit, it has the standard nic_install entries. The tnlited entry is sent to the background, the final line for the ftp daemon is not (but it is my understanding that it will do that itself.) I had added debug messages in the rc.sysinit before each of the lines added by nic_install and one as the final line of the file, specifically to rule out this problem. All of the messages make it to the log so the backgrounding does not appear to be an issue. I had thought about the binaries not being flagged as executables but then thought "nahhhh, they wouldn't do that!" and being the lazy butt that I am, didn't put the drive back in to check. I will definitely check that tonight though.

With respect to the ifconfig output, I am guessing I might get away with stuffing that in as the last line of the rc.sysinit and looking at the log to see what shows up. But if the binding was wrong, wouldn't the call for programming info fail?

Thanks again for the reply. I will make sure to try all of your suggestions tonight! [*fingers crossed, hoping for the best!*]

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    Dunno about the ping, but telnet and ftp could be as simple as not backgrounding something you started in rc.sysinit prior to them. Or not having them executable. More information will help track down the problems. Like the last 10-15 lines of rc.sysinit and rc.net and if you have one rc.sysinit.author. Have you checked ifconfig's output to see if your turbonet card was assigned eth0? I've seen problems with some installations having it assigned to something else.

ew

A subnet issue? Your TiVo and your PC must have identical "y"s in their IP addresses:

yyy.yyy.yyy.zzz
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Correct subnet for both static and dynamic IPs. (thx for the suggestion though...)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    A subnet issue? Your TiVo and your PC must have identical "y"s in their IP addresses:

yyy.yyy.yyy.zzz

Ok, connected via serial to poke around. Ifconfig seems ok:
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:21:E2:BA:7F
    inet addr:192.168.222.5 Bcast:192.168.222.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:13017 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:377 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:2
    Interrupt:29 Base address:0x300

ps shows both tnlited and tivoftpd running:
    105 1 S 0 0 (tivoftpd)
    103 1 S 0 0 (tnlited)

And yet, no external...

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind

ew

Quote Originally Posted by 2tired2care
    With respect to the ifconfig output, I am guessing I might get away with stuffing that in as the last line of the rc.sysinit and looking at the log to see what shows up. But if the binding was wrong, wouldn't the call for programming info fail?

Thanks again for the reply. I will make sure to try all of your suggestions tonight! [*fingers crossed, hoping for the best!*]
    Might be that the binding is dynamic (or at least controlled by an environment variable....mine is). That might allow the TiVo to use it while it doesn't allow you to. I personally don't ever remember running nic_install, so I don't know what lines are put in your rc.sysinit without seeing them. Here's what I mean by the variable:
    Code:
    [bash /var/hack>cat /etc/rc.d/rc.net
    #!/bin/bash
    # Copyright (c) 2001-2002 TiVo Inc.
    #

if [ "$DEBUG_BOARD" != true -o "$dhcp" == true ]; then
      if detectDynamicNet; then
        mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
        /sbin/dhclient -q "$DYNAMIC_NET_DEV" 2>/dev/null &
      fi
    fi
    ew

Sorry, stupid ASSumption that everyone knows what changes are made by nic_install. The following are the contents of rc.net and the tail of rc.sysinit:

Code:
    # /etc/rc.d/rc.net
    #!/bin/sh
    #

/sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/8390tridge.o
    if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/tivone.o ; then
            export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
            mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
            /sbin/dhclient -q eth0 2>/dev/null &
    fi
    Code:
    [ ! -f /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author ] || /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

echo "rc.sysinit is complete"
    /bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &
    echo "**** STARTING TELNET ****"
    /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    echo "**** STARTING FTP ****"
    /sbin/tivoftpd
    echo "**** DONE WITH RC.SYSINIT ****"

Well, after a lot more playing around, this appears to have more to do with my LAN than my TiVo. I was unable to ping systems on my LAN from the TiVo and unable to ping the TiVo from systems on my LAN. I am running a Linksys BEFSX41 router so just for grins I enabled port forwarding for telnet to the TiVo, hit the external interface and boom! Bash over telnet. (yes, I then disabled the port forwarding...) All the crap on the TiVo has probably been working all along! Oh well, at least now I now where to start looking. All the computers see each other and the outside world, the TiVo sees the outside world, just can't get the TiVo to see or be seen on the local network.

Back to work...