Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DB vs Cobelli & Sleeper: split from The HDVR2/DSR7000 Quick-Start How-To

DB pokes sticks at Cobelli & Sleeper: place yer bets...

BWAHAHAHA... I can't believe I forgot to gloat in this thread.

Hey corbelli, when are you going to post your COMPLETE GUIDE to getting sued by Tivo?

Originally posted by David Bought
    BWAHAHAHA... I can't believe I forgot to gloat in this thread.

Hey corbelli, when are you going to post your COMPLETE GUIDE to getting sued by Tivo?
    DB, too funny. You never let anything get past.

Quote Originally Posted by cobelli
    Ya guys, I'll give you the guide's if you'd really like, but it's hardly worth it.
    What's wrong, are you tired of playing "hero" already?

Yaya Bought, so witty...

I'm not afraid to give sleeper his due credit. I think that's how it should have been done in the first place. Everything was automated for series 1 people; it never really made sense to me why series 2 newbs had to fend for themselves. I understood your concern that if they are constantly spoon fed they will never learn, but I think there are a lot of people here who arenít devoted enough to learn anyways. I did what I could to help them, but sleeper has clearly bested me. In the end I do feel that the amount of time spent revising the guide, answering questions, and dealing with your crap could have been better spent working on such a program. Nonetheless bought, hopefully in the six months since I wrote that guide you've matured enough that we can move past petty bickering.

Iíll be waiting when youíre ready
    - Cobelli
    Hacked HDVR2 with all the goods

I understood your concern that if they are constantly spoon fed they will never learn, but I think there are a lot of people here who arenít devoted enough to learn anyways.
    No pain, no gain. Nobody is entitled to a hacked Tivo. However, it is wise and prudent to make technical information (not spoonfeeding materials) available to assist those who are willing to learn.

Your actions and Sleeper's actions reward ignorance, mediocrity, and intellectual laziness. People like you disgust me.

I do feel that the amount of time spent revising the guide, answering questions, and dealing with your crap could have been better spent working on such a program.
    Absolutely. You should have developed it, and then kept it to yourself. Don't you feel silly now for putting up that stupid web page? People used that thing for what, 2 months or so, before Sleeper posted his heroware. Wow, 2 months, what a great run.

As you have seen, fame and glory are fleeting but real accomplishments are more rewarding in the long term. Hack to push yourself to the limit, not to be a glory whore.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bought
    No pain, no gain. Nobody is entitled to a hacked Tivo. However, it is wise and prudent to make technical information (not spoonfeeding materials) available to assist those who are willing to learn.

Your actions and Sleeper's actions reward ignorance, mediocrity, and intellectual laziness. People like you disgust me.

Absolutely. You should have developed it, and then kept it to yourself. Don't you feel silly now for putting up that stupid web page? People used that thing for what, 2 months or so, before Sleeper posted his heroware. Wow, 2 months, what a great run.

As you have seen, fame and glory are fleeting but real accomplishments are more rewarding in the long term. Hack to push yourself to the limit, not to be a glory whore.
    Where we disagree is that I believe a hacked TiVo should be available to anyone. I don't feel silly because I'm glad that I helped people, and it was a significant number. The only reason I regret the time spent is because for that amount of effort could have produced a tool that made it even easier to hack a tivo. Modifying a TiVo shouldn't have to be a life consuming process, it should be a fun weekend project. Of course I encourage people who are interested to really dive in and understand how a tivo runs, but not everyone is that devoted. I'm not looking to be a tivo hero, glory whore, championing the tivo cause, etc. However I do feel that the more people contribute to the community, the more it grows, and that was my contribution.

On a lighter note, at least we are speaking civily, mostly, that's an improvement.

Cobelli

Where we disagree is that I believe a hacked TiVo should be available to anyone.
    Then you must be willing to take responsibility for the consequences:

1) 2yo+ image sites being shut down because they got too popular

2) credible legal threats to authors here due to their extraction work

3) DDB buckling under the stress of thousands of new freeloaders

4) frequent sales of illegally hacked units on ebay

5) the emergence of blatantly hacker-unfriendly features in new software versions

and ultimately:

6) the flight of the best developers to greener, safer pastures

7) the flight of the rest of the developers to "underground" and lower-profile venues

8) the death of new development

Was it worth all that just to be a glory whore?

You and Sleeper (and many others too) owe us all an apology.

Then you must be willing to take responsibility for the consequences:

1) 2yo+ image sites being shut down because they got too popular

2) credible legal threats to authors here due to their extraction work

3) DDB buckling under the stress of thousands of new freeloaders

4) frequent sales of illegally hacked units on ebay

5) the emergence of blatantly hacker-unfriendly features in new software versions

and ultimately:

6) the flight of the best developers to greener, safer pastures

7) the flight of the rest of the developers to "underground" and lower-profile venues

8) the death of new development

Was it worth all that just to be a glory whore?

You and Sleeper (and many others too) owe us all an apology.
    OK, first off, you don't know TiVo's motivations. While increased popularity is definitely a possibile reason for cracking down, many other factors could have influenced. Including the possibility of changes in their legal team. Secondly, Hacker unfriendly features have existed for a long time. Thirdly, I saw many hacked series 1 units available on ebay. So yes all of the things above have happened. And yes, many of them are related. But that doesn't mean that sleeper and I have ruined TiVo hacking. I'm also wondering what magical line you use to gauge where blame falls. MrBlack has helped alot of newbies, has he ruined the community? Hell, you've even answered a few questions in your time. And finally, you cite developers moving to underground communities as a negative, but isn't that exactly what you want? Hacking only for the 1337?

Quote Originally Posted by corbelli
    OK, first off, you don't know TiVo's motivations. While increased popularity is definitely a possibile reason for cracking down, many other factors could have influenced. Including the possibility of changes in their legal team.
    BWAHAHAHA... yeah good reasoning.

Secondly, Hacker unfriendly features have existed for a long time. Thirdly, I saw many hacked series 1 units available on ebay.
    Gee, do ya think there might be a correlation there?

Rule #1: You WILL NOT excuse bad behavior with worse behavior.

Guess what, the Extreme team learned their lesson, now it is your turn to do the same.

But that doesn't mean that sleeper and I have ruined TiVo hacking.
    You and Sleeper are directly responsible for points 2, 3, and 4 at the very least. Probably 1 and 5 too but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You're fooling yourself if you don't think this is a numbers game. The bigger a crowd you draw, the more trouble we will have. You and Sleeper have done an outstanding job in bringing a huge, mostly useless crowd here to leech and to draw attention to us.

Tivo doesn't care if there are a few dozen people who understand how their system works. They DO care when their hollywood buddies call them up complaining about how they just found an extraction-ready, service theft equipped Tivo on Ebay. Or how they just downloaded an ISO that allows them to do the same to an existing unit. They wanted our group to stay small and low-key, but you and Sleeper have compensated for your lack of talent with flamboyancy. You are both whores for attention and glory.

And finally, you cite developers moving to underground communities as a negative, but isn't that exactly what you want? Hacking only for the 1337?
    Wrong, I am in favor of the free exchange of information and ideas, as long as the process is not abused. Unfortunately things almost never work out that way in the real world, because communities are too tolerant of "hero" types like yourself who feel that it is their "calling" to bring more dead weight into the fold.

They wanted our group to stay small and low-key, but you and Sleeper have compensated for your lack of talent with flamboyancy. You are both whores for attention and glory.
    Might I suggest that you start your own thread on this topic, preferrably in the new "garbage can" forum.

There is no reason to turn this thread foul and cause its destruction.

Your personal attacks are unnecessary and unprovoked. You would be much better respected if you made your points without the personal attacks which diminish any merit that your points would have otherwise had.

Your "lack of talent" is in the area of controlling your tounge.

There is a difference between helping people and being a "glory whore". Since I am the only one that truly knows my motivations, your statement is merely an inaccurate assumption.

DB, you have your points and opinions. We are all aware of them and most of us respect them wether we agree or disagree. Isn't it time you started doing the same?

MODS, please don't delete this post as you have done with the last 2 posts that I have made in reponse to DB's inflamatory remarks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    There is a difference between helping people and being a "glory whore".
    Correct, "helping people" is what you do and "glory whore" is what you are.

If and when you decide to be honest with yourself, you will understand how I know what your motivations are. You revel in the attention that your pathetic scripts have generated. You spend the majority of your time associating with new users because it makes you feel better about the fact that you have put so many hours into this hobby but you have learned so little. You have made no discoveries of your own and have little insight into difficult questions. You are wasting your time and your talents (if any). Quit jacking off in the NEWBIE forum and start working on things that matter.

MODS, please don't delete this post as you have done with the last 2 posts that I have made in reponse to DB's inflamatory remarks
    Your last two posts blatantly accused an innocent, God-fearing Christian of illegally using controlled substances, without providing even a shred of evidence. Your slander had no bearing on the topic at hand so the posts were deleted with extreme prejudice.

Your last two posts blatantly accused an innocent, God-fearing Christian of illegally using controlled substances, without providing even a shred of evidence. Your slander had no bearing on the topic at hand so the posts were deleted with extreme prejudice.
    If that's your interpretation than you must still be high. The first post in the "'FS: 2 RCA Recievers and HU cards" thread was a joke and was obviously taken as such. There was nothing "slanderous" about it. Perhaps someone that has been emailed a copy will repost it.

In fact there was nothing in either of those 2 posts that came even remotely close to the continual personal attacks and filth that you continually spew about this board.

Removal of my posts and lack of recourse upon you for your illicit actions just proves the "bias" on the part of the management of the board that I have previously spoke about.

Correct, "helping people" is what you do and "glory whore" is what you are.
    Well lets further prove my point about the "bias". Let's see if I get repremanded for employing the same tact you you continually use.

David, "shoving it up peoples anal cavity" is what you do. A "rapist" and "sodomist" is what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    The first post in the "'FS: 2 RCA Recievers and HU cards" thread was a joke and was obviously taken as such. There was nothing "slanderous" about it.
    Wrong, there was nothing "funny" about it.

In fact there was nothing in either of those 2 posts that came even remotely close to the continual personal attacks and filth that you continually spew about this board.
    Wrong, you accused me of a crime without evidence. That is never tolerated here.

When I make accusations I have something to back them up.

Wrong, there was nothing "funny" about it.

Wrong, you accused me of a crime without evidence. That is never tolerated here.

When I make accusations I have something to back them up.
    So what will it take for you to leave this board forever bubba? You obviously don't like anything about it anymore, so why are you still here? Surely someone with all of your knowledge has better things to do than slam us poor unfortunates. Why don't you go rescue another lost cause someplace. Maybe try to help the Bush camp look for WMDs. You haven't made a positive contribution to a thread in a long time.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.