Thread: HDVR2 how do i make a backup image and keep all my recording???

35 HDVR2 how do i make a backup image and keep all my recording???

HDVR2 how do i make a backup image and keep all my recording. i can make a backup image but how do i get my alraedy recorded shows in the backup

You can't preserve your recordings in a backup image. You can copy the drive contents from one drive to another using the dd command with MFS Tools 2.0 to preserve your recordings. Read Hinsdale's How To for instructions.

You could also extract the recordings to your PC in tmf or ty+ format using mfs_ftp and then restore them back to the HDVR2 after upgrading the drive (or at anytime for that matter).
    Last edited by captain_video; 03-06-2004 at 10:30 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I think you can use dd and pipe it through gzip and create an image.

Quote Originally Posted by usa11usa
    HDVR2 how do i make a backup image and keep all my recording. i can make a backup image but how do i get my alraedy recorded shows in the backup

thanks

thanks i got the info i needed. you guys are greate

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    You can't preserve your recordings in a backup image.
    ??? sure you can, just use the "-Tao" options on the backup. of course, it'll make a huge backup that'll take as much space as your recordings do, but it can be done.

ronny

The -Tao option is used for doing a drive-to-drive copy, not a backup image to your C drive, which is where I was going with my initial reply. You're actually backing up the image to a new Tivo A drive or A with B drive setup according to Hinsdale's when using the -Tao option. This does allow you to make a backup image with all of your recordings intact but the drive can't be used for anything else when you're done. This is fine if you plan on upgrading to a larger drive but for just doing a backup image it seems like a bit of a waste. Normally, when you make a backup image you want to place the backup on your FAT32 drive so you can restore it later. A normal backup image only reguires about 150-250MB of space on a FAT32 drive whereas a backup like you're referring to would require a drive at least as big as the original Tivo drive.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!