Thread: compressed partition tools

compressed partition tools

heres a couple utilities i wrote to extract the compressed images from the utv bin file and one to remount them.
    Dismount.com removes the 3 images, system, browserdata and storage and writes them to individual files. it also truncates the input file to the location just before the partition table, using the /p switch extracts without truncating file length.
    The bin file from your utv drive will need to be 16bit shifted before running this program, as the images are written to disk it also does the 32bit shift to them.
    these are dos based programs but will run from the command prompt under xp or win 98 and as such are subject to 8 character file names with 3 char extensions.

remounting them is done by running utvmount.com with a + sign before each file to be added adding a /r switch will replace original files with the new ones
    running with out the /r switch will add them to the existing bin file.
    eg: utvmount ver37.bin +system.img +browser.img + storage.img /r
    would mount the above images at the beginning of the partition space and would replace what was there. if you had you own image and wanted to simply add it to the bin file it would be utvmount ver37.bin +mystuff.img
    this would add your image to the bin and update the partition table to show another image had been added.
    Last edited by mrblack51; 03-09-2004 at 02:06 PM.

another note

If you have built your own image using romimage.exe or whatever, and the first 1000h bytes are 00 utvmount will fill in the first 40 bytes for you.
    the build number will not be correct..you will need to fill it in if you want to change it.
    bin files from a utv drive will not be affected but in either case run utvchecksum before shifting the bin file and writing it back to the drive.

Those are great files satchmoe! thanks for sharing your work!
    Can you please tell me the steps to clone one of the .img files to a hard drive so I can poke around? I tried following the instruction in the 'preview mode' thread but I must be doing it wrong because I ether end up with an unreadable drive or garbage.

Thanks again.

AlphaBravo

copressed partitions

These compressed partitions can't be cloned to a drive.
    do a search for utvimage.exe by cyberjaak and trd, run it on the images you get from dismount Eg: utvimage system.img
    this will extract the files from it and put them into a folder for you.

Hey Satchmoe... I've looked everywhere for the utvimage.exe and romimage.exe. Would you be so kind and share these either in a post or PM me? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus2000 View Post
    I've looked everywhere for the utvimage.exe and romimage.exe.
    are these out there anywhere?
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"

well? anyone?

here is utvimage. it has some problems when dumping such as image trunication. sorry i didnt see you're post sooner ;-)

thanks
    now if i could get my mind back in gear

Quote Originally Posted by tomrom View Post
    here is utvimage. it has some problems when dumping such as image trunication. sorry i didnt see you're post sooner ;-)
    I unpacked the 3.8 browserdata and found the file, tv/images/VideoSill.gif to be truncated. Is this what you mean by your caveat?

Does anyone know of any other problems in unpacking? Is this reliable enough to use for rebuilding the image, or is it only intended for the curious wishing to look at some of the source code there?

I built a browserdata image and then unpacked it and found differences. There were a number of cases where 2 html elements, e.g.

<xxx> <yyy> (with a space between them)

becomes

<xxx><yyyy> (dropped the space)

I believe this is utvimage doing this. This seems like a decompression problem. Fortunately, this change has no effects on the meaning and interpretation of the html files.

I also noticed there are a number of unbalanced double quotes. There are enough of the same that I suspect some software has mangled this. The problem is

symbol='000000'"

with different symbols and different values, but in each case it leaves one extra double quote. This too seems to not hurt anything, except that I had to change my difference program settings to get around this.
    Last edited by rocket777; 10-15-2007 at 07:18 PM.