Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 9r13 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output...

TyTool 9r13 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output...

Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

Release: TyTool9r13 with DVD support...

TyTool 9r13 with DVD Support. The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it. VSplit has not been updated to match this release. Although an update for it is planned in the near future.

This version is a major upgrade from the earlier 8 series of TyTool. It adds Frame Accurate Editing (FAE) to the mix.

Please check the included docs for information about it. The release notes for 9r1 contain detailed informtion about the FAE editing process. Eventually this information will migrate into an editing document.

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

1- There have been a number of small bug fixes added to this release. I should probably list them here but I don't feel like it.

2- The big issue in this release is the new muxer. It was design to try and reduce problems with the following:
    1- The mpeg output having holes in it. This was originally done on purpose but it would seem better to just do what the VOB process was doing and slide everything back closer together.

2- The playback of MPEG output under windows in a variety of programs. Should have been easier than it was. This release should help.

3- MPEG and VOB playback. This version has much much better buffer management. Should get fewer overruns. This appears to have been what was causing the Sony players so much trouble.

Alright. Now what all of the new muxer means. The old muxer is still in place and unchanged. Specifically. I wanted to make sure if problems where found we could identify them. So all of the old processes download->mpeg, ty->mpeg, ty->vob will use the OLD muxer. You all got that right? THE OLD MUXER!

If you pick the 2 new menu options. vob and multiplex "new format" then and only then will you get the new format of multiplexing. It is plugged into the code that allows you to pick a list of files. So it still has a great deal of flexibility but it is only in the new stuff.

Again this was done on purpose. You have you want to try the new stuff in order for it to be used.

Please give the new code a whirl and let me know what your results are.

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in the 9r13 Release:

1- Added an option to choose the extension for the audio files when splitting. Long ago people asked for being able to name them .mpa rather than .m2a so that it would be easier to find with another tool. I was making such changes so I put it in today.

2- Added an About popup to the help menu. Shows the copyright and other information.

3- Added 2 new menu items to the help menu. The first option will take you to the TyTool.com homepage. The second will take you straight to the FAQ. It will use whatever is the defauilt web browser on your machine, which for most is MS IE.

4- Added the start/stop tserver functionality from the menu of TyTool. Becareful with it as it can cause you some serious problems if you don't use it correctly.

The set/clear script will set it to the standard string initially which is:

/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

If you have installed it elsewhere change the string to reflect what is right. I.e. possibly something like:

/var/tytool/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/tytool/NowShowing.tcl

DO NOT USE THE & character at the end of the string as most do if running it within the startup rc script files.

If you do anything wrong, you can watch the resizable popup window and look for the error there. The FULL OUTPUT of the entire telnet session is added and stored in that window. So if you have the wrong case, or the wrong directory, you will see it reflected there. You must still use the "Stop" server option even if tserver did not run as the telnet session remains open.

You can use the standard close options to close the telnet output window and the session stays open. You can then make it visible again use the new Menu -> Server -> Show tserver option.

5- Added 2 new options to GopEditor. 7 == Jump to the start of a cut. 8 == Jump to the end of a cut. It is found the menu as well.

6- Fixed a few other small issues that I found as I was working things over. So minor I had never seen them reported by anyone.

--jdiner
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jdiner; 04-01-2004 at 05:20 PM.

The TyTool/Vsplit unix tools...

These aren't here yet. Just a place hold for future releases.

--jdiner
    Attached Files Attached Files

TyTool No DVD release...

There won't be any more of these. With the addition of the FAE support almost everything required for DVD output is now required for standard processing.

This being the case there is no value in adding the work and worry of a release zip that is 44k smaller than the main one. So from here on out look to the main zip for any and all downloads.

--jdiner

Woohoo!!! Lots of nice changes

Hey, look, first post - phfbfbfbfbfbffbfbfbftttt!!!!!
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Actually. I had the first post. But then it was just the rules post...

Wow. Looks like Tuesday night is a bad night to make releases like this. Not a sould seems to be around...

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner
    Wow. Looks like Tuesday night is a bad night to make releases like this. Not a soul seems to be around...
    My Mom thinks I'm sombody. sniff
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner
    Actually. I had the first post. But then it was just the rules post...

Wow. Looks like Tuesday night is a bad night to make releases like this. Not a sould seems to be around...

--jdiner
    not true, some of us just don't have much to say!!

This was posted in the 9r8 thread and while I didn't mean to ignore it I had gotten so busy that it slipped through the cracks...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hatch
    DVDAuthor 0.6.9 gives me a ton of warnings about the audio PTS. If I don't transcode audio, they look like this:

WARN: Discontinuity in audio channel 8; please remultiplex input.
    WARN: Previous sector: 0.266 - 0.266
    WARN: Current sector: 0.374 - 0.374
    Yes. This is the same old audio issue. To make things "fast" I cut the audio at the GOP boundries in simple ways as I wanted perfect sync. When you mux a hole is perfectly legal. Since DVDAuthor uses the same muxed output as I create this is not a problem. It is a shame they added warnings to it as I am going to get a ton of questions about it.

Bottom line and in quick fashion:

1- Audio and video timestamps will almost never line up.
    2- Video in perfect frame format, i.e. no RFF, is 1/29.97 th of a second or .0333667 of a second.
    3- Audio in standard LayerII format is .024 of a second.
    4- Audio in Dolby is .032 of a second.
    5- Occasionally they will line up perfectly at any given point but the very next PTS for both will be off in comparison.

Techniques on cutting:

1- Re-encode the whole darn stream. The reasult no gaps. But quality loss due to re-encoding and massively longer times to process. Also doesn't by itself address several of the DTV issues.

or

2- Keep a running "tally" of how much we are ahead or being and pick the "closest" packet to keep. The result no gaps. But at any given point the sync can be off by up to 18ms. The common understanding is that 14 ms is noticable. During the course of a show with many cuts the audio will be earlier or late depending. Still doesn't address the DTV issues.

or

3- Cut and leave holes. Mux properly so that the output is actually where it should be. I.e. use the PTS to force audio to be right where it should rather than just close. Address all of the currently known DTV issues.

I started with #2 over a year ago. It drove me nuts. True I was watching for it. But it was seriously noticable. So I shifted over to #3. The results. Occasionally there is no sound for all of 24 to 48 ms. But the sync is always as good as it was from the DTV/SATivo source. Which is what I wanted.

These holes have always been there in every VOB tytool has created. All that has changed is that now DVDauthor is reporting these holes.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by maule
    not true, some of us just don't have much to say!!
    Hehehe. Just a tongue in cheek comment back to when I used to make releases at 3am my time and had feedback before I could finish brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed.

But honestly the furor would have to die a bit. Things work well now so there isn't the same need to wait with baited breath for new things...

--jdiner
    Last edited by jdiner; 03-09-2004 at 11:48 PM.

How do you stop the tserver_mfs7_mips from running in Telnet?

Quote Originally Posted by FokenNewbee
    How do you stop the tserver_mfs7_mips from running in Telnet?
    Go to the telnet window and press control-c.

--jdiner

Doesn't seem to want to terminate. I started the tserver from the command line. Does it take a while to close connection or should it close right away?

Quote Originally Posted by FokenNewbee
    Doesn't seem to want to terminate. I started the tserver from the command line. Does it take a while to close connection or should it close right away?
    It is immediate. Don't know what you hit or what happened. But it has a custom handler for the control-c. It can't lock up badly enough to not recognize it unless the tivo is in the process of dieing and the OS is not passing on the messages.

Don't know what to tell you. You telnet in, you run the server, when you are done with what you wanted to do, you hit ctrl-c and it stops the server. you get a bash prompt back and you type exit to close it. It has been working like that for more than 2 years now.

--jdiner

Ah bummer. Looks like at some point the repeating GUI button clicks on the < > buttons in the FAE editor got lost. I had the second CPU fan die within days of the first and it cause some serious instability for awhile.

I will have to re-add the proper code. The control is working on it though to jump by 10 right now.

--jdiner