Thread: Tivo software update

Tivo software update

Does anyone know if the Tivo software is updated by Sat signal or over phone line?
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff
    Does anyone know if the Tivo software is updated by Sat signal or over phone line?
    Currently major updates are done over the phone but there is nothing stopping DTV/Tivo from doing them over the satellite. As I understand it all the hooks are already in the OS and software to allow it.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Can it also be done via Ethernet?

Quote Originally Posted by plugplay
    Can it also be done via Ethernet?
    you can enable ethernet and connect to the tivo service via that (,#401 after your ethernet adapter is enabled). if you obtain upgrade slices from somewhere, you can install the upgrade manually by ftp'ing the slices to the tivo via ethernet and then installing them from a telnet session
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

That's what I always believed but I just can't seem to get my S1 to update to 3.1.1b. I get tivo Showcases. Xplus says that NOSDD is disabled and I can easily call via Lan to do my downloads but it never updates the Software. What can I be doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by plugplay
    That's what I always believed but I just can't seem to get my S1 to update to 3.1.1b. I get tivo Showcases. Xplus says that NOSDD is disabled and I can easily call via Lan to do my downloads but it never updates the Software. What can I be doing wrong?
    your tivo will never update to 3.1.1b, because that is only for s2 units. 3.1.0b is the newest version for the s1 dtivo units. if you have not subscribed your tivo, they wont send you the new software
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Opps I meant 3.1.0b. I am subscribed to Directv w/ Tivo Tier. What more do I need to do to get the update?