Thread: UltimateTV vs Tivo

UltimateTV vs Tivo

Is there an FAQ somewhere that discusses similarities/differences between TiVo and UltimateTV?

I am wondering if TiVo has the same problem as UltimateTV... the one where while fastforwarding or rewinding UltimateTV will "freeze" up and not respond to any commands to PLAY STOP or PAUSE for several seconds (which can make it really hard to find the exact spot you want in the recording.. although the "skip forward 30 seconds" and "skip backward 7 seconds" buttons dont have this problem.

Thanks

I've never seen that on my Tivo, no. Of course the Tivos have their own set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by markpregen
    Is there an FAQ somewhere that discusses similarities/differences between TiVo and UltimateTV?

I am wondering if TiVo has the same problem as UltimateTV... the one where while fastforwarding or rewinding UltimateTV will "freeze" up and not respond to any commands to PLAY STOP or PAUSE for several seconds (which can make it really hard to find the exact spot you want in the recording.. although the "skip forward 30 seconds" and "skip backward 7 seconds" buttons dont have this problem.

Thanks
    I do belive you will find your "legit sub card" dosent have this problem on the UTV
    "Don't ask me I dont know anything except what I read"

Quote Originally Posted by markpregen
    I
    I've been using UTV for sometime and never seen this issue. As a matter of fact the few issues I had were cleared up when the software was upgraded.

The biggest isssue I'm seeing with my Tivo is that the guide is slower than crap and I wish they would create a viewing window in the guide like we have with UTV.

Ocomik

Never had the problem of "Runaway Fast Forward" on ver 3.5 although this was often described. Started to experience this phenomenon about 2 months after 3.7 came out last year & it's increasing in frequency. It's almost to the point where I'm afraid to push the FF button because it happens more often than not. My unit has always been a legitimate sub.

Unplugged overnight awhile back & it seemed to work OK for a few days but has returned with a vengeance.

The best word to describe TiVo's response to key entries is GLACIAL.

Intermittent

I've had a UTV since September 2002, have legitimate 3.7/P4 setup etc etc. I have seen intermittent delays in responding to remote control commands. When going "fast forward" (at 60 or 300 speed) then this delay of 5 or more seconds can cause the program to shoot past (I assume this is the "runaway fast forward" other people have mentioned), sometimes as far as to the end of the program.

More frequently for me, however, is with the 30second skip function. I record lots of music videos and skip over them using this, looking for the odd good song. Sometimes the machine will ignore my commands for a few seconds and then seem to run them all together, as if they'd been buffered.

I'm *GUESSING* that this is due to lack of memory. Since the machine keeps a track of menus visited (so you can go back to previous ones) I try to minimise this by going back up through menus, rather than jumping straight into "my shows". I may just be deluding myself as to whether this minimises the problem :-)
    Rgds
    Stephen

runaway FF

I had that problem until I bought a new remote and installed fresh batteries. The buttons wear out on these remotes rather quickly if you push them alot. I think I paid $18 for the new remote (but I'm an RCA dealer; they retail for $27.97)

RonMo
    Ronald Edwards