Thread: Where To Start With GXCEBOT

Where To Start With GXCEBOT

Purchased a "hacked" GXCEBOT Series I TIVO some months ago. Presently at 2.5-01-1-001. Only hack I know for sure is that it does not make the daily phone call. My desire is to extract movies from TIVO and put on DVD. I have been reading and downloading most every bit of info I can get my hands on. I also have ordered a TURBONET card to install so I can hook up to my home network. I plan on making an image backup of my present drive and then upgrading to 2.5.2

1> How do I determine what hacks are presently applied to my unit?
    2> Should I assume that 2.5Xtreme is already installed on this unit?
    3> Should I consider SuperZap's upgrade or Kraven's Upgrade that are mentioned in the FAQ?

Based upon my present unit status and my desires to transfer files to PC using TURBONET, is there a suggested order of things to do?

Thanks for the replies in advance, meanwhile, I will . . . Keep On Readin'

1. It doesn't matter what's currently on the unit because you will need to upgrade it to at least 2.5.2 to get locals.

2. If you've got a bash prompt then there's a good chance it has been Xtremed. It's probably a good idea to install it from scratch and then do the upgrade.

3. I'd go with Superzap's upgrade simply because it has more features and more flexibility than Kraven's Tivolator 3.1. Check page 4 of the How To's Only sticky thread in the series 1 DTivo section for my procedures to install 2.5Xtreme and Superzap's upgrade.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I am assuming you mean prom flashed when you say xtreme. His prom has been flashed. Unless he knew about monte or something similar back when the rest of us were flashing proms, his prom is flashed.

Also there is no need to start from scratch. Just send 2.52 via serial and run the upgrade script. If you want it to be clean, just clear / delete everything.

2. If you've got a bash prompt then there's a good chance it has been Xtremed. It's probably a good idea to install it from scratch and then do the upgrade.

Getting info I need

I have not even checked to see if I have a bash prompt. I have not even made a serial cable. Was hoping to install TURBONET card and go straight to TERATERM via ethernet.

Plan to pull drive out and do an image backup using PC and MFS Tools. At same time thought I could do 2.5.2 upgrade while in PC using EXTREME Boot CD and install my TURBONET card in TIVO when I place hard drive back in place. Am I trying to do too many things at once?

Thanks for the lead. Will read suggested posts and obtain required files.

If you do a fresh install of 2.5Xtreme and then install Superzap's 2.5.2 upgrade you won't need to install the Turbonet software as it's part of Superzap's upgrade. Go read the instructions I pointed you to in my first post and you'll be fine.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!