Thread: Unable to play stored programs after a restore...

Unable to play stored programs after a restore...

Hardware: TiVo Series 2 Model TCD24004A (40hr) with Maxtor Fireball 3 40g HD
    Software: 4.0.1b

History:
    I started off with the Steve Jenkins HowTo (http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network.html) because I hadn't found this community or Sleeper's threads yet.

I'd been using the TiVo for about two weeks before beginning any hacking. Following Steve Jenkins instructions I made a backup using
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so

I continued with the Jenkins instructions on my Original drive until I thought Telnet would work, booted up the TiVo and no telnet. Ran into the 4.0 resets your system files issue. Ok - continued my search...

Thats when I found Sleepers threads. Where I'd been doing everything manually before, and had a backup, I didn't see the risk to the Original drive as significant. But before I was going to run an automated script, I decided to get another drive, so went ahead and got a Maxtor 120g DiamondMax Plus 9.

This time I ran Sleepers scripts using the full Monte, made another backup of the original drive so that now I have two - one original, and one post my first hacking attempt... Then applied the 2nd backup to the new drive and booted the TiVo. The TiVo booted, and at the time I had no reason to suspect any problem with playback, so I proceeded through the Surgery and Hack phases.

I did read about not needing the network config info so I commented out those lines from the rc.sysinit.author file and booted the TiVo up again. The TiVo boots, and plays live tv ok, but not anything already recorded. It also wouldn't play anything recorded AFTER the hacks. And, last but not least, the Telnet still didn't work. *sigh*.

By now I'd read about the TivoApp patch (though I can't seem to actually find it, I just see people referring to it ). I'm not a linux person by trade so I didn't fully understand the changes, but I watched the monte script closely. I assumed the surgery stage, which I noted changed some kernel info, resulted in the inability to record or playback (thus the requirement for the TivoApp patch). I wanted to test the theory first, since Telnet was also not working, and as I understood it, should have been, so I just now restored the 120g drive using the sleeper script which, I thought, would have restored the 120g disk to be exactly like my original A drive is now, except bigger.

However when I booted the 120g after restore, I still couldn't play back shows already on the drive.

I booted the original 40g and can play back fine there.

So my first questions (of what I'm sure will end up being many):
    Is it the upgrade process itself of restoring to the 120g drive that scrambled the shows and triggers the need for the TiVo app patch?
    OR
    Did the restore not fully wipe the drive and end up leaving some of the sleeper changes in place?

Second based on the first:
    Should I plan to either:
    Restore the drive back with the first backup of the virgin drive and retry the sleeper scripts and then the TivoApp patch?
    or
    Continue where I am now with trying to figure out why telnet won't work?

And if restoring - do I need to somehow purge the drive first using a wipedisk utility of some sort?

Thanks in advance!
    Chuck

Here's the link to Alphawolf's thread on the tivoapp patch. Read through it and you'll find most of the answers regarding your playback problem.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213

Here's a link to Sleeper's thread where he has packaged many Tivo hacks into his TPM format, including the noscramble2 tivoapp patch.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31653
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Much appreciated - I'd found those threads just now myself and had started trying the package but then it occured to me that the packages are intended to be executed from the TiVo itself, via telnet, not from my PC with the TiVo drive connected.

So it seems to me the first priority is to get the Telnet access working, which has been unsuccessful so far.

I've re-loaded the 120g HD and repplied the monte script using the standalone networking, and then edited the rc.sysinit.author file to comment out the ip config settings and the kmem (kemm? kmme...you know what line I mean) out and am trying telnet again.

In an hour I'm going out to get a female-female serial port adapter so I can watch the damn TiVo boot up. Thought for sure I had one but dammit if it wasn't male-male which is doing me no good.

Which is now mysteriously working...

I'm sure I did the same things I did before. Oh well - Telnet and FTP are now working - I think my router might have had incorrect dhcp info cached or something... *sigh*

Now to see if my ftp skills aren't too rusty to copy a package over and run it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaeberle
    Much appreciated - I'd found those threads just now myself and had started trying the package but then it occured to me that the packages are intended to be executed from the TiVo itself, via telnet, not from my PC with the TiVo drive connected.

So it seems to me the first priority is to get the Telnet access working, which has been unsuccessful so far.

I've re-loaded the 120g HD and repplied the monte script using the standalone networking, and then edited the rc.sysinit.author file to comment out the ip config settings and the kmem (kemm? kmme...you know what line I mean) out and am trying telnet again.

In an hour I'm going out to get a female-female serial port adapter so I can watch the damn TiVo boot up. Thought for sure I had one but dammit if it wasn't male-male which is doing me no good.
    If you can ping the TiVo, but can't Telnet, I'd take a look at the netfilter-enable and -disable files. Sleeper renamed the files rather than modify the rc.sysinit file; an early version had this reversed. At least one site out there has a bad copy of TiVoScripts.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

So finally getting back to my original goal - reading through the threads referenced, am I right in thinking that the shows I recorded prior to running Sleeper's script (Series 2 4.01b) are effectively now wasted space?

Not a big deal if they are - didn't have anything that can't be replaced - just wondering. Ulimately my goal IS extraction, and if I can only extract shows recorded from this point forward, thats fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaeberle
    So finally getting back to my original goal - reading through the threads referenced, am I right in thinking that the shows I recorded prior to running Sleeper's script (Series 2 4.01b) are effectively now wasted space?

Not a big deal if they are - didn't have anything that can't be replaced - just wondering. Ulimately my goal IS extraction, and if I can only extract shows recorded from this point forward, thats fine by me.

No published methods to unscramble existing scrambled recordings on a S2 that I'm aware of.
    Have a question? Try a search first...