Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Record on SA S2 after Monte Upgrade

Can't Record on SA S2 after Monte Upgrade

I thought I had everything licked !!!
    After upgrading 40 & 80 hr SA TIVOs with Monte, Neither one of them is recording. It goes through the motions, but when I want to watch it, it goes to "Do You want to delete? " Than it says, the TIVO could not record, because there was no video input. Which is not true. I was watching while it was recording and could go back and forth, and it looked fine, but in "TIVO Play" it shows the recordings, but the is nothing.

Now on one of the I used the software from PTVupgrade and currently it installes the software I believe 4.0.1b from TIVO. Had no problem using the network.
    antalo
    Antalo

Quote Originally Posted by antalo
    After upgrading 40 & 80 hr SA TIVOs with Monte, Neither one of them is recording. It goes through the motions, but when I want to watch it, it goes to "Do You want to delete? " Than it says, the TIVO could not record, because there was no video input. Which is not true. I was watching while it was recording and could go back and forth, and it looked fine, but in "TIVO Play" it shows the recordings, but the is nothing.

Now on one of the I used the software from PTVupgrade and currently it installes the software I believe 4.0.1b from TIVO. Had no problem using the network.
    antalo
    Monte runs a hack to disable scrambling on record, but doesnt run the hack to allow playback of unscrambled recordings. You have to either run the other hack or comment out the kmem line in your rc.sysinit.author file. If you do the latter, any already recorded programs will be useless.

antalo
    Try Clear and Delete Everything from the Tivo Reset Menu.

falcontx
    Last edited by falcontx; 03-18-2004 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falcontx

falcontx
    Don't do that... no need. See this post:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...55&#post139455

It has all the info you need to patch your Tivoapp binary. Once you've done that, you'll also want to comment out the kmem line from your rc.sysinit.author. That will solve the problem you're having.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by falcontx

falcontx

I did that, but didn't help. I just got done with the PTVupgrade supplied software, and after I don't know how many times The Tivo called in, made a trial recording of 15 min and it lookes like it will work.

Now I am going to put the drives back into the PC and see it will do anything else. As far as I know it did not install anything else but the upgrade and installed a 4.0. version

Also, It only says up to 322 hrs of recording. Evidently it does not go over the 137 GB limit. I am looking, but can't find the LB48 patch.

I saw it somewhere, but can't find it.

I also would like somebody to tell me exactly what I have to do to comment out the kmem line. If it helps I am willing to call somebody so he/she can walk me trough.

BlahBlah and falcontx also thank you for your help
    Antalo

I did that, but didn't help. I just got done with the PTVupgrade supplied software, and after I don't know how many times The Tivo called in, made a trial recording of 15 min and it lookes like it will work.

Now I am going to put the drives back into the PC and see it will do anything else. As far as I know it did not install anything else but the upgrade and installed a 4.0. version

Also, It only says up to 322 hrs of recording. Evidently it does not go over the 137 GB limit. I am looking, but can't find the LB48 patch.

I saw it somewhere, but can't find it.

I also would like somebody to tell me exactly what I have to do to comment out the kmem line. If it helps I am willing to call somebody so he/she can walk me trough.

BlahBlah and falcontx also thank you for your help
    1. Make your root rw with "mount -o remount,rw /"
    2. Edit your rc.sysinit.author file. It's located in /etc/rc.d . Put a # in front of the line that starts with kmem.
    3. Make your root ro with "mount -o remount,ro /"
    4. reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Blahblah2001
    1. Make your root rw with "mount -o remount,rw /"
    2. Edit your rc.sysinit.author file. It's located in /etc/rc.d . Put a # in front of the line that starts with kmem.
    3. Make your root ro with "mount -o remount,ro /"
    4. reboot
    How do I do the editing ?

Need to put both drives into PC, boot Mfstools2, or Sleepers.iso ??

See what I mean ? I know nothing, nothing .......

Thank you Blahblah

Antal

P.S. I am looking for a bigger than 4 GB for my PC's C drive. I was going to use this PC for/as a digital sat reciver and I figured this 4 GB drive I had laying around would do it, but I needed this, I needed that and the darn thing is full.

I case you or anyone is interested, Compusa has some BIG celebration going on and tonight,19 March, 04 from 6 -midnight they got 160 GB HD for $ 60.- after rebates + tax
    Belkin Wireless 802.11g 54MB router for $30.- after rebates
    4.0 Megapixel Digital Camera for $150.-
    25 pakDVD+/- RW Media for $20.-

Only TONIGHT.
    Disclaimer: I don't work for Compusa and I only repeat from the sales final

They got their 20 th Anniversary 6 hrs only 1800- 2400 hrs I am sure it is nation wide.
    Antalo

How do I do the editing ?

Need to put both drives into PC, boot Mfstools2, or Sleepers.iso ??

See what I mean ? I know nothing, nothing .......

Thank you Blahblah

Antal
    Perhaps this should be moved to the Newbie section?

Anyway, if you can telnet to your TiVo:
    From the command prompt, type:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /etc/rc.d
    vi rc.sysinit.author

(arrow down to the kmem line, placing the cursor at the beginning of the line)
    Hit the following keys on your keyboard, in this order:
    i
    #
    ESC (escape key)
    :wq

You'll get your command prompt back. Type:
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then reboot your TiVo for the change to take effect.

If you can't telnet to your TiVo, you can pull the drives, put them in your PC & use the Sleeper ISO to do the editing. Read/search through this thread to find out how to connect your drives, where the TiVo's root partition will be mounted, and how to use ALT-F2 to open another console. Then, follow the directions above, omitting the "mount -o..." commands and prepending the path to the mounted TiVo root partition to the "cd ..." command above.
    Last edited by psxboy; 03-19-2004 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added context...
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy
    Perhaps this should be moved to the Newbie section?

Anyway, if you can telnet to your TiVo:
    From the command prompt, type:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /etc/rc.d
    vi rc.sysinit.author

(arrow down to the kmem line, placing the cursor at the beginning of the line)
    Hit the following keys on your keyboard, in this order:
    i
    #
    ESC (escape key)
    :wq

You'll get your command prompt back. Type:
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then reboot your TiVo for the change to take effect.

If you can't telnet to your TiVo, you can pull the drives, put them in your PC & use the Sleeper ISO to do the editing. Read/search through this thread to find out how to connect your drives, where the TiVo's root partition will be mounted, and how to use ALT-F2 to open another console. Then, follow the directions above, omitting the "mount -o..." commands and prepending the path to the mounted TiVo root partition to the "cd ..." command above.
    PSXBOY You are a genious !!!!
    I got one of the TIVOs working. Well, almost. See everybody says telnet to the TIVO. How ???
    Nobody, except one guy I foud, said how get into telnet.
    He said; At the command prompt type :Telnet (Tivo's IP address)
    After that it was a piece of cake.
    My second TIVO is not working. It boots up, but that's it. The remote doesn't work at all. I may have to start all over.
    No it doesn't work. Boots up, but the remote has no affect.
    This sucks !
    Thanks for your help.
    It may belong to the newbie section, but I don't think it would be a good idea to go from one area to the other.
    I also would like to know how to replace the kernel so the entire area of the hard drive is utilized.
    Alos I need to change the IP number in the TIVO, I missed a number. I saw it wen I was looking for the kmem line.
    Just do an insert ? how do I replace one character with another ?

Thank You vrry much. I got to go to CompUSA and get a hard drive for my PC. They open @ 1800 CT. It's up on the website www.compusa.com
    Antal

P.S> I am kidding, you did say from the command propt!!!
    Last edited by antalo; 03-19-2004 at 06:16 PM.
    Antalo

Ok... lets see if we can tackle these one at a time.

My second TIVO is not working. It boots up, but that's it. The remote doesn't work at all. I may have to start all over.
    No it doesn't work. Boots up, but the remote has no affect.
    Sounds like the white ribbon-cable that connects the remote sensor to the mainboard might be loose. Unfortunately, this can sometimes result in physical damage to the TiVo. See this post and the posts around it for more background info.

I also would like to know how to replace the kernel so the entire area of the hard drive is utilized.
    Wow, have you got some reading to do. Start with this thread. You'll find an lba48-aware kernel for your S2 SA there (kernel version as of 4.0.1b is 2.4.18) as well as lots of info about the procedure for replacing your existing kernel. You might also want to check out this thread for some info specific to one person's upgrade experience.

My advice to you? Read both threads entirely before doing anything. Make sure you understand exactly what you are doing and what the implications are before you attempt this, even if it takes days of reading and note-taking.

My understanding of the current state of this upgrade is that it is risky at best. You have to be especially careful about blocking software updates as the stock kernels don't have LBA48 support & will corrupt your MFS partition if the software update completes successfully. There are also corruption issues that come into play depending on what scrambling hacks you are using. So, make sure you have a working backup before attempting this... and keep it around in case you get hosed by a software update later down the road.

Alos I need to change the IP number in the TIVO, I missed a number. I saw it wen I was looking for the kmem line.
    Just do an insert ? how do I replace one character with another ?
    Hoo boy... Short answer: S2 SA TiVos use the information you provide in the network settings in the preferences, so you don't need those lines in the rc.sysinit.author... just comment them out. More to the meat of your question: familiarize yourself with vi here. You'll be glad you did.

Incidentally, all of this information (and more!) can be found by searching the forums. Use the nifty search and search-this-thread links at the top of the pages. You'd be surprised how much info is out there just waiting to be found.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Ok... lets see if we can tackle these one at a time.

Sounds like the white ribbon-cable that connects the remote sensor to the mainboard might be loose. Unfortunately, this can sometimes result in physical damage to the TiVo. See this post and the posts around it for more background info.

Wow, have you got some reading to do. Start with this thread. You'll find an lba48-aware kernel for your S2 SA there (kernel version as of 4.0.1b is 2.4.18) as well as lots of info about the procedure for replacing your existing kernel. You might also want to check out this thread for some info specific to one person's upgrade experience.

My advice to you? Read both threads entirely before doing anything. Make sure you understand exactly what you are doing and what the implications are before you attempt this, even if it takes days of reading and note-taking.

My understanding of the current state of this upgrade is that it is risky at best. You have to be especially careful about blocking software updates as the stock kernels don't have LBA48 support & will corrupt your MFS partition if the software update completes successfully. There are also corruption issues that come into play depending on what scrambling hacks you are using. So, make sure you have a working backup before attempting this... and keep it around in case you get hosed by a software update later down the road.

Hoo boy... Short answer: S2 SA TiVos use the information you provide in the network settings in the preferences, so you don't need those lines in the rc.sysinit.author... just comment them out. More to the meat of your question: familiarize yourself with vi here. You'll be glad you did.

Incidentally, all of this information (and more!) can be found by searching the forums. Use the nifty search and search-this-thread links at the top of the pages. You'd be surprised how much info is out there just waiting to be found.

-psxboy
    PSXboy, thank very much,
    Whatever it's worth, I managed to change the IP address I did the same as I was told to rem out the kmem line I could delete the numbers I needed to change, but as you said, the TIVO doesn't use those inputs. I think it is needed on the S1 with the added Telnet card or whatever it is called.

It is easy for you to say read up even if it takes days. I would aggree with you if I knew what's going on. I am in the "Monkey see, monkey do" phase. The more I read the more confused I get. I'll have to start at the beginning to learn linux . I used to (studied) COBOL , probably before your time, and I have some idea how programming works in general.

Anyway, the ribbon cable from the front panel is seated properly. I don't think inside the panel it could be garred, or unseated. I got some 40 years + in electronis maintenance, so I am careful when I am working on equipment.

The remote changes the light intensity (green) , and the remote did not work after I did the restore.

Somebody should change or correct the programming in Monte. When you get into Monte, you are given a few choices. :
    a. is doing backup

b. is starting with "Restore" , but when you select it, it starts backing up. Once I had the backup screen up I could skip it. Also I think there should be a confirmation after one entered a reply. As it is you only can keep going or skip. I don't think there is a quit anywhere.

I got the 40 hr original drive for spare, and I have the backed up file on the PC.

I bought last night 3 WD 160 GB drives @ 60+ 17 tax final price. I asked about 3 guys in the store about limits. Not that I know of; was the reply.
    After I got home and read the fine print, one per household/address.
    You have to be a little creative.

OK, here is a $ million question : Is there a chance to get over the 137 GB limit ??? ---- The reason I am asking is that if there isn't, I put the 250 GB drives into my S1 units and the 160s into the S2 units.

I am going to reinstall (re-restore) this one unit and if the remote still doesn't work, I back up the drive again and restore.

Question: How do I change the swap file from 127 to 300 ? What I read is that it should be 1% of the total capacity.
    I am using Sleeper's Monte.

Thank You for your help PSX Boy
    Antalo

NO dice !!!
    Did a restore, no change. TIVO Central comes up, gears & "TIVO Centra" moving, but does not respond to remote.
    Now I'll make a backup..... I'll use PTVupgrase disk. It worked before. It has the image on it.

Add: Copied PTVupgrade to SA S2 Remote works OK.
    Now I'll change the drives for the 2X 160 GB from WD. They want extra $15.- for 3 year warranty. By the time I get done, I'll $100.- in each drive.

Update, 1627 CDT

Backed up and restored my 40hr TIVO drive (original)
    Does the same as before. Boots up to TIVO Central but remote does not work. Did my drive or the image get corrupted ?

Update: 1708 CDT
    I tried another CD, also Sleeper's version. Same thing. Put original single drive into Tivo. Same thing. Tivo Central, but no remote functions.
    Again used CD from PTV upgrade, and remote works.

Would any of you geniuses try to figure out what happened to my original drive ?
    Last edited by antalo; 03-20-2004 at 06:12 PM.
    Antalo

Would any of you geniuses try to figure out what happened to my original drive ?
    Posting your log files from a "no remote" boot might help. I can only think of a couple of reasons why the remote would fail with one image but not with another on the same hardware... the kernel, messages, and svclog logs may shed some light.

It is easy for you to say read up even if it takes days. I would aggree with you if I knew what's going on. I am in the "Monkey see, monkey do" phase.
    This is exactly why you should read through everything & make sure you understand what you are doing first! It's terribly easy to go from "Monkey see, monkey do" to "Monkey got screwed". Normally, it may not be such a big deal... you can always restore a backup & you're back where you started. But since the motivation behind the LBA48 hack is typically to get more recording space, one would presume that the recordings on the drive are important to the owner. If you charge ahead not fully understanding what you are doing & you end up hosing your MFS media region, then you've essentially lost your recordings & will have to start from scratch again.

The more I read the more confused I get. I'll have to start at the beginning to learn linux .
    I think that's an excellent idea.

OK, here is a $ million question : Is there a chance to get over the 137 GB limit ??? ---- The reason I am asking is that if there isn't, I put the 250 GB drives into my S1 units and the 160s into the S2 units.
    Question: How do I change the swap file from 127 to 300 ? What I read is that it should be 1% of the total capacity.
    I am using Sleeper's Monte.
    Yes. The answer is in the first thread I linked for you previously. ("Start with this thread.") It also addresses the issue of making a larger swap file on a large drive. (New tools are available... either in that same thread or linked to from there.) You may find a "step by step tutorial"... all the ones I saw were for older units or seriously out-of-date... but odds are you're just going to have to learn how to do it by actually reading the thread.

Good luck!
    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Posting your log files from a "no remote" boot might help. I can only think of a couple of reasons why the remote would fail with one image but not with another on the same hardware... the kernel, messages, and svclog logs may shed some light.
    -psxboy
    Thank You for your reply psxboy.
    How do I get those logs ? There is no telnet or any hacks on it. It was brand new .
    While I was waiting for some help, I attempted a "upgrade" using the CD I got from Ptvupgrade. I think they doubled the price since I bought mine about a week ago. the image would not fit on the 40 GB direve, I think mainly because it has 818 MB uncompressed size. Mine was 182 MB. So I took the 80 GB drive and did the "upgrade". Booted up fine and remote was working, so I did a "Delete all and Clean up" right away. It took almost 2 hrs for that. Than I started the setup. Made a few phone calls and after all the setups and calls etc.. it said can watch, but not record for 4 to 8 hrs. It told me a network adapter was detected. Set it up, made calls to update everything. I tried to record something and appearantly that works, however the program transfer from the other SA S2 Tivo does go thru the motions, but there is no data transfer. It should copy the program over and should be able to watch while it is transferring. It does the same thing as it did with the other TIVO before I ramed out the "kmem" line in the rc.sys ???.(forgot the name). There is no telnet or any hacks on this drive. But this one is recording, just the transfer (HOM) is not working. It works to get photos on it. I paid for the HMO service.
    Any ideas ???

I want to make a backup copy of this drive, so I have a good copy to fall back on. I know this image wont fir on the 40GB drive. I am trying to get a response from PTVupgrade, but sofar they did not respond. I need to get this drive working firs.

If you could check the "Newbie" section, I left a plea there as you suggested, but sofar nobody responded. Could I use Monte Surgical to install telnet and the other stuff ?

Thank you again.
    Antalo

Wow... ok. I'm starting to get confused about which TiVo is which & what you've done to each of them. Maybe you can post the relevant info about each of your TiVos... type/model, size of drives, what you're actually doing to each one & where you'd like to end up with each one.

Streaming from one TiVo to another with HMO may be impacted by the no-scramble stuff. I'll have to poke around for the details, but HMO uses the public keys for the "target" TiVo to scramble the data being sent to it. Then the receiving TiVo unscrambles the data with its private key. If you've got one hacked TiVo and one un-hacked TiVo, it may play havoc with HMO. Again, I could be off the mark with this but if you post the details about each TiVo, it'll help me to understand where you're at.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652