Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivo Control Station release 1.1.0

Tivo Control Station release 1.1.0

EDIT: THIS THREAD IS DEPRECATED. FIND THE CURRENT SUPPORT THREAD ON THE TCS WEBSITE DOWNLOAD PAGE

I have decided to move support for Tivo Control Station to this forum from the TivoCommunity underground. The underground seems more like a sandbox these days. This forum has clearly become “the right place.” For those unfamilar with TCS, see the website which includes descriptions and screenshots.

DUE TO CHANGES IN THE MODULE API, ALL PRIOR RELEASES OF TCS ARE OBSOLETE AND WILL NO LONGER RECEIVE UPDATES.

This release of Tivo Control Station includes:
    • A new shareware fee, with liberal exemptions for students, the unemployed, and tivo developers who have made significant contributions to the art. See the License file for details.
    • New Installation instructions. No matter what you think you know, you will need to read this post in its entirety, the README and the LICENSE.
    • A TCS Network Server which will reduce the load TCS places on the tivo by about 90%. The network server runs on a unix based machine on your local network. By running the modules that gather and parse data from the web (Quotes, NFL, Weather, etc) on the network server as opposed to the tivo, the load on the tivo is drastically reduced. If you don’t have access to a unix machine on your local network, you can still run TCS in “classic” mode, with the tivo doing all the work.. The release package is generally configured to assume that you will be running a network server. If you are not running a network server, you will need to link several modules back into the modules directory. I.E, Quotes is not configured to be on by default for classic mode. You will also need to deactivate the network server in the config/prefs file. The README is quite specific on what needs to be done. The Network Server is the most significant feature of the new release. If you have a machine that will run a network server, I strongly encourage you to run one. A Tivo can NOT be a network server for other Tivos.
    • Ability for third party module developers to push module updates out through TCS autoupdate. (Contact tcs(no)@(spam)zirakzigil.net to be setup)

Network Server Features:
    • Same code that runs on the tivo.
    • Same startup commands as on the tivo.
    • Ability to serve multiple tivos.
    • Ability to run predefined shell scripts on the network server from the tivo remote. You can literally start any process on the network server machine from the remote. A sample script that brings up xeyes is included.
    • Ability to gather web information MUCH faster than a tivo. Check weather for another zipcode and have it displayed in 5 seconds.

Network Server Requirements:
    • Root access to a unix machine on the local network. (Root only required for setup, the network server is not required to run as root)
    • TCL installed.
    • NFS server.
    • It is unknown if a Mac/OS X box will work properly as a server. I have no reason to think it will not, it just hasn’t been tested. If you have success, let us know. EDIT: People have reported getting the network server running on Mac OS X. Version 1.1.1 is required for it to work "out of the box."
    • It is unknown if a cygwin environment will work properly as a server. I have less confidence about cygwin than OSX, but it too hasn’t been tested. If you have success, let us know. EDIT: People have reported getting the network server running on Cygwin. Version 1.1.1 is required for it to work "out of the box."

Separate module directories for the network server and the tivo.

Obviously (if you think about it) some modules must run on the tivo, however you can pick and choose which modules you want to run where. Generally, if you can run a module on the network server, you should.

New/Improved Modules:
    • NCAA Basketball (March Madness is here!)
    • Several modules to support the network server
    • Extended information in the Quotes module (which has been fixed).
    • Weather module fix for negative temperatures.
    • MLB module is broken, and should be removed. It will be fixed when the regular season starts.
    • Several other modules repaired

Get it from the TCS Home Page

Tivo Control Station is copyright 2003, 2004, ZirakZigil, LLC.
    Last edited by Zirak; 09-02-2004 at 06:49 PM. Reason: New version available

I'm trying to instal TCS Network server, I got the NFS exported the tcs folder from a Linux server and infsmod on the TiVo reported w/ version mismatch warning but got an error "RPC: Program not registered " during mount, any pointers?

Tkx in adv!
    Rival Rustam

Quote Originally Posted by Zirak
    I have decided to move support for Tivo Control Station to this forum from the TivoCommunity underground
    Welcome aboard Tivo Control Station Support!

Sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
    I'm trying to instal TCS Network server, I got the NFS exported the tcs folder from a Linux server and infsmod on the TiVo reported w/ version mismatch warning but got an error "RPC: Program not registered " during mount, any pointers?

Tkx in adv!
    Did you use the force option (-f) on the insmod? What model tivo and what version of tivo software? Anyone else have the problem?

This should be very good.

I have a Linux server running 24/7 on my LAN. I downloaded Tivo Control Station. TCS_1.1.0.tar. I made a "hack" folder. It's all in /var/hack/tcs on my Redhat Linux Fedora 1 running on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz. I know how TCS is slow on the TiVo just going to telnet to get a promp takes about 2 to 3 sec. But with out TCS running the promp is there right away. So using a sever for this should work very good. I love to get it installed.

I edit /var/hack/tcs/config/prefs I got the Ipaddresses of your tivos set like this:
    tivoips TivoIPAddresses 192.168.101.8 192.168.101.20
    nsip NetworkServerIP 192.168.101.10
    My Linux server is 192.168.101.10 One of my TiVo's is 192.168.101.20 and the other TiVo is 192.168.101.8 I think I have this part right.

I don't have telnet running on my Linux server just SSH. in the Where are the applications, I put it like this:
    #telnet TelnetCommand /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login
    ftp FtpCommand /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
    #ftp FtpCommand /tivo-bin/tivoftpd
    I am not sure what to do on the # 2 that says this:
    2. On server - nfs export the tcs directory to the tivo(s). The no_root_squash
    option must be specified, as everything on the tivo runs as root. To export
    a directory, you need to add an entry to /etc/exports, which includes the
    directory you are exporting (/home/tcs), the ip address of the tivo you are
    exporting to, and the mount options.

An example with recommended options:

/home/tcs 192.168.1.53(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
    I guess I have to make a file in /etc called "exports" and put in that file 2 lines for my 2 TiVo's I want to run TCS on. So the "exports" file would look like this if I am right:
    /var/hack/tcs 192.168.101.8(rw,sync.no_root_squah)
    /var/hack/tcs 192.168.101.20(rw,sync.no_root_squah)
    Then I would type on the command line this:

exportfs -a
    Is this right? I am stuck here. All so I all ready have TCS on both my TiVo's A older vershion. I am not sure how to update it. I guess I have to trun it off and the only way I know to do that is to edit my .sysinit file to not start it up on a boot up. Then I guess could install this update on my TiVo's. TCS is not running on the 192.168.101.20 TiVo. But it's installed on it.

I hope some one can do all most a step-by-step way to show how to install this on a linux server and a TiVo that all ready has a old vershion of TCS running on it. A good way is wile you install this have some other text window open and copy and paste what you do in it. I think that would show how to in stall it very good.

Thank your for TiVo Control Station! To let a computer help run it is a very good update.
    Raymond J Day

Quote Originally Posted by Zirak
    Did you use the force option (-f) on the insmod? What model tivo and what version of tivo software? Anyone else have the problem?
    Yes, I forced the nfs module on the insmod and my TiVo seems to took it w/ version warning (I think that warning was common).

My TiVo is an SVR2000 running v3.0-01-1-010.

Tkx again!
    Rival Rustam

Quote Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi

Tkx in adv!
    It sounds like you don't have NFS running properly on the linux box. Is nfsd and mountd running? There also may be portmapper issues on the server, an entry for hosts.allow may possibly be needed. Google for nfs setup specfics for your linux distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Day

I edit /var/hack/tcs/config/prefs I got the Ipaddresses of your tivos set like this:

My Linux server is 192.168.101.10 One of my TiVo's is 192.168.101.20 and the other TiVo is 192.168.101.8 I think I have this part right.
    Good.

I don't have telnet running on my Linux server just SSH. in the Where are the applications, I put it like this:

(edit of paths in config/prefs to reflect paths on linux server)
    Ack! Bad Bad Bad. Paths in config/prefs are paths ON THE TIVO.

I am not sure what to do on the # 2 that says this:

(portion of the readme instructing to setup nfs and entries needed in etc/exports)

I guess I have to make a file in /etc called "exports" and put in that file 2 lines for my 2 TiVo's I want to run TCS on. So the "exports" file would look like this if I am right:

(entry for /etc/exports)
    The README assumes you are familiar with nfs, and already have it running on your machine. This includes a kernel compiled with nfs support, and the appropriate "startup" entries for your linux distribution. If you have not already setup NFS on your machine, you need to research that before using the network server. Setup is going to be different for different linux distributions, so I can only give this general advice.

The /etc/exports entry and exportfs commands are correct, at least for debian. I doubt it varies on other releases.

Is this right? I am stuck here. All so I all ready have TCS on both my TiVo's A older vershion. I am not sure how to update it. I guess I have to trun it off and the only way I know to do that is to edit my .sysinit file to not start it up on a boot up. Then I guess could install this update on my TiVo's. TCS is not running on the 192.168.101.20 TiVo. But it's installed on it.
    Once you get the new version setup, you can remove the old version, and edit rc.sysinit to start the new version.

I hope some one can do all most a step-by-step way to show how to install this on a linux server and a TiVo that all ready has a old vershion of TCS running on it. A good way is wile you install this have some other text window open and copy and paste what you do in it. I think that would show how to in stall it very good.
    The README is about as step by step as it gets. Its not intended to be a linux tutorial on getting NFS running.

I had a friend that knows Linux good SSH to my server and try to install TCS on my Linux server and 2 TiVo's. He told me he started NFS by going to etc/in.d/NFS and had to do a Port map. He can't get it to work. Here is what he said:
    part 6 under "Additional Installation Steps if you are using the Network Server" in the README, the (TivoTcsPath) which is /var/hack/tcs would interfer with the installation of TCS on the Tivo, if one would follow the instructions in the README... it would delete the installation of TCS from the Tivo. How do you have TCS running on the Tivo if you remove it? If you change the (TivoTcsPath), then how do you tell TCS?
    Raymond J Day

I had a friend that knows Linux good SSH to my server and try to install TCS on my Linux server and 2 TiVo's. He told me he started NFS by going to etc/in.d/NFS and had to do a Port map. He can't get it to work. Here is what he said:
    You don't install TCS on the tivo, you install it on the server then mount that directory on the tivo.

It's working from a Linux Server!

Thank you Zirak that did it. Did not know you don't install it on the TiVo if you have a server.

I tested it out some. It's very fast! The menu now has 4 pages not just 2! I am going to play with it some more now.

Thank you Zirak!
    Raymond J Day

Here is what I found out installing this.

NFS is Network File System. On the TiVo if I go to /var/hack/tcs and all the files are there. But they are really on my server! Don't even need to install this on the TiVo just do a little on the TiVo Like in the rc.sysinit put a line like this:
    insmod /lib/modules/nfs-2.0.1.o
    mount 192.168.101.10:/var/hack/tcs /var/hack/tcs
    Were the 192.168.101.10 is my servers IP address. Works very good.
    Raymond J Day

Working on cygwin & TCS

I'm learning cygwin, nfs and this new version all at once so it's not surprising I'm having trouble.

nfs is working. I am able to start TCS on my tivo from the mounted folder (I noted the successful install of the "test" module). Note on the Tivo, I get this in my ps -fax command:
    Code:
    sh ./starttcs
     \_ tivosh ./tcsd.tcl
         \_ tivosh ./TCSSendKey.tcl
         \_ tivosh ./TCSEventServer.tcl
         \_ (chmod <zombie>)
    The problem is on the server side. When I try to run ./starttcs I get
    Code:
    $ ./starttcs
    shopt: not found
    TCS error: tcsd.tcl not found in ./starttcs
    and quits. I know tcsd.tcl is in the directory - it ran from the Tivo! When I try to run tcsd.tcl directly I get
    Code:
    $ ./tcsd.tcl
    Loading Tivo Install Information
    then it just ends.

I know I have tcl working because I had run some of my utility tcl scripts that were written for the Tivo (I figured out the /tvbin/tivosh link before I downloaded TCS). Anyway to turn on some kind of debugging for the tcsd?

Hi rung. I am not sure. But I know it said to start TCS with a & at the end so it runs in the back ground. So it should look like this:
    $ ./starttcs &
    Raymond J Day

Quote Originally Posted by rung
    I'm learning cygwin, nfs and this new version all at once so it's not surprising I'm having trouble.

nfs is working. I am able to start TCS on my tivo from the mounted folder (I noted the successful install of the "test" module).
    Ack! the test module was supposed to be deleted before release. Everyone should just delete it! (rung will probably recognize the code in it. )

Note on the Tivo, I get this in my ps -fax command:
    Code:
    sh ./starttcs
     \_ tivosh ./tcsd.tcl
         \_ tivosh ./TCSSendKey.tcl
         \_ tivosh ./TCSEventServer.tcl
         \_ (chmod <zombie>)
    The problem is on the server side. When I try to run ./starttcs I get
    Code:
    $ ./starttcs
    shopt: not found
    TCS error: tcsd.tcl not found in ./starttcs
    and quits. I know tcsd.tcl is in the directory - it ran from the Tivo!
    The shell you are using apparently doesn't support shopt, which is used to build the path to tcs (in starttcs). You can "get around" the problem by just hard coding the path to tcs in the script, however that will require the path on the tivo to match the path on the server (or for you to use 2 different startup scripts). Easily solvable.

When I try to run tcsd.tcl directly I get
    Code:
    $ ./tcsd.tcl
    Loading Tivo Install Information
    then it just ends.

I know I have tcl working because I had run some of my utility tcl scripts that were written for the Tivo (I figured out the /tvbin/tivosh link before I downloaded TCS). Anyway to turn on some kind of debugging for the tcsd?
    This one isn't so easy. "Loading Tivo Install information" means the server is going to contact TCS on a tivo to get some information that the server needs to function. (Think Zipcode, but there is more than just that.) There is a good bit that happens between "Loading Tivo Install Information" and the next log message, the most suspect thing being opening and using sockets.

There is loads of debugging information that can be turned on by setting all the debug flags at the end of config/prefs to 1, however, I don't think it will be useful here as there are few debugging messages in this area of the code. My best (highly uninformed) guess is a problem with tcl sockets with cygwin. Pure speculation. I suggest liberally sprinkling the routine TivoDataClient in tcsd.tcl with puts statements to follow the flow - I'm guessing that is where its dying. If its not there, find the "Loading" statement in the "main program" and find out which routine it is dying in. (The only ones called between the first log message and the next are AddKeyWatcher, InstallNetworkCommand, AddRemoteControl, SetEventFrequency, ReadIPAddresses, and SetupDNS) The other most suspect one would be SetupDNS (tcl sockets again) and ReadIPAddresses (first file read - cygwin filesystem). The others are unlikely, as they just setup internal variables. I'm trying to give you my best guess, its really impossible to tell. Following this "roadmap" you should probably be able to nail it down in 5-10 minutes.

I am unaware of any universal tcl debugging options, other than liberal use of puts statements.
    Last edited by Zirak; 03-23-2004 at 09:16 PM.