Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: selling tivo hardrives on ebay (with a twist)

OH MY GOD..... Not 8 whole dollars!!!
    I drive 30 miles one way to work and gas keeps going up, so $8.00 is a lot to me. Not everyone can be rich.
    Haley Marie

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyMarie
    I drive 30 miles one way to work and gas keeps going up, so $8.00 is a lot to me. Not everyone can be rich.
    Americans complaining about petrol prices never fails to amuse. Try it over here, where "gas" is $6.83 a gallon...
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

How much of that is taxes? I have read that your "Taxes and duties on petroleum make up 75 percent of the cost of premium unleaded gasoline." Forgive my ignorance, but don't you control the people who propose taxes and implement them?
    Last edited by SR712; 03-24-2004 at 12:31 PM.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

First of all defending a copyright costs MONEY. You can't just call up the copyright "police" and lock someone up or fine them.

There is no registration process for obtaining a copyright. Notice must be given. Also there are certain mechanisms that must be used to insure protection. Imbedding a string in a binary may not be good enough. Usually in the case of software, the (c) symbol, date, and owners name should be visible to a user of the system. Some situations can even place copywritten work into the public domain. See a lawyer. (more $$$)

IF you can track the infringer down, then what? Tell him to stop? Maybe he will, but if not, get your wallet out. Even if you do, how much do you think you will be awarded? The "big boys" can't even stop infringers, It's not even worth trying.

I don't see this product available in a "legitimate" form. Since the need clearly exists, others are providing it.
    Enough crying and carrying on here about what happens on Ebay! Is the purpose of this board to police the internet to find lawbreakers? Just keep your own nose clean and MYOFB. Let DirectTV worry about H3 users.

Gee, copyright infringement on the internet, who would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by SR712
    How much of that is taxes? I have read that your "Taxes and duties on petroleum make up 75 percent of the cost of premium unleaded gasoline." Forgive my ignorance, but don't you control the people who propose taxes and implement them?
    Yeah, just like you control your politicians (ie, not at all). Almost all of it is taxes; we do a lot of indirect taxation here (there's a universal 17.5% sales tax for instance).

The prices are justified on environmental grounds - discouraging car usage. I believe that's about as popular as gun control over there, especially when you have a President with vested interested interests in selling as much gasoline as possible. It's required to meet our Kyoto commitments - the ones which Bush ripped up.

It's not popular here - and indeed we nearly had a national state of emergency a couple of years back when the taxes got increased still further and the truck drivers blockaded the oil refineries in protest forcing petrol stations to run out of fuel in days. The goverenment took a few pence off the tax and things went back to normal.

When all is said an done, if petrol taxes dropped, it would only get put back somewhere else unless government spending was cut - and no one wants our universal health service and education system to have funding cuts; in fact most want spending to increase. So we put up with it.
    Last edited by sanderton; 03-24-2004 at 01:14 PM.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Thank you Othy for clarifying that. I had been using bold print to highlight quotes, but I figured out how to it the right way tonight. It's a pity some people ie Mr. Black cannot differentiate between a quote in bold text and a reply in nonbold.
    bolding text is not the standard for this message board for quoting text. there is a quote tag, which is automatically used when you hit the reply button to someones post.

if you are complaining about the cost of the screwdrivers to open up the tivo, you really are in the wrong hobby
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    First of all defending a copyright costs MONEY. You can't just call up the copyright "police" and lock someone up or fine them.
    Filing a VeRO report or sending a DMCA takedown notice will cost you the price of a stamp (or a fax). The law in this country is on the copyright holder's side, for better or for worse.

Enough crying and carrying on here about what happens on Ebay!

Gee, copyright infringement on the internet, who would have thought?
    As somebody whose code was misappropriated by the scammers on eBay, I resent the fact that you (who has not had his work stolen, at least in this context) are arrogantly telling the rest of us what to do. In fact, your bitter opposition to copyright enforcement actions makes me wonder if you are one of the dealers in question. Have you ever sold a hacked TiVo on eBay?

We'll ask for your opinion when your work gets ripped off and unwittingly associated with criminal activity. In the meantime, leave us alone when we take actions to defend our intellectual property.

sung to the tune of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin":

Come gather 'round friends
    Wherever you roam
    And admit what the times
    Around you have shown
    And accept it that soon
    It could all well be gone.
    If hacks to you
    Are worth savin'
    Then you better start thinkin'
    Or they'll all soon be gone
    For the times they are a-changin'.

To the hackers and coders
    Who gladly give all
    And keep our old tivo's
    The best of them all
    Please don't think the morons
    Do speak for us all
    Your kindness for profit
    They are takin'.
    For those winners now
    Cause us all to lose

Come newbies, come friends
    Please don't heed the call
    Don't buy from the theives
    Who are hurtin' us all
    For the quick and the easy
    May be your worst fall
    For their greed
    Is what they are sellin'
    And you'll soon be lookin'
    At no help at all.

So tell all the people
    Throughout the land
    Don't think you can buy
    What you can't understand
    For there are so many
    Who'll give you a hand.
    For the knowledge is here
    For the askin'.
    Don't let your impatience
    Drive new hacks from our hands

The line it is drawn
    The curse it is cast
    The hacks we are seein'
    Could surely fade fast
    As the present now
    Will later be past
    The order is
    Rapidly fadin'.
    And the hacks you buy now
    May soon be the last

Quote Originally Posted by mrblack51
    bolding text is not the standard for this message board for quoting text. there is a quote tag, which is automatically used when you hit the reply button to someones post.

Helloooooo. I got it now. Had been using reply button at bottom. I'm learning this stuff just give me time. As for the screwdrivers. Why can't they just use Phillips heads like everyone else?
    Haley Marie

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    Americans complaining about petrol prices never fails to amuse. Try it over here, where "gas" is $6.83 a gallon...
    I bet those Torx screwdrivers cost a whole lot more there huh?
    Haley Marie

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    A gallon of gas gets you a lot more there though, in most places here it wont take you far enough to matter. One reason for starters, is that my state alone is geographically larger than the entire UK, and its not one of the biggest states either. (alaska alone is larger than all of europe)

I go through at least a gallon just going to school and back. HaleyMarie sounds like she goes through around two and a half to three gallons just to get to work and back.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Hey Fugg, you puttin' out a Karaoke version of that?

I don't see this product available in a "legitimate" form. Since the need clearly exists, others are providing it.
    Enough crying and carrying on here about what happens on Ebay! Is the purpose of this board to police the internet to find lawbreakers? Just keep your own nose clean and MYOFB. Let DirectTV worry about H3 users.
    If you're not seeing it in "legitimate" form then you're not looking. The software is free for personal use for anyone that wants to learn how to install and use it. I don't see any of these sellers paying royalties or other fees to the developers, do you? When it comes right down to it, we've all been profiting from the work of the developers and they're not seeing a penny for their labors. People are concerned about what happens on ebay because the potential fallout from the widespread sale of pre-hacked Tivos could have repercussions that affect this forum and its membership. Tivo has already cut off distribution of Tivo images and the next logical step would be to shut down any of the software distribution websites and potentially any public forums they feel crosses over legal boundaries.

I would agree that there is definitely a niche market for this type of product and there probably wouldn't be an issue with pre-hacked Tivos being sold if royalties were paid and permissions granted above board. The whole point of this thread revolves around the scammers selling Tivos and hard drives hacked with software developed by the DDB membership and then telling the buyers to come here for support. That's just wrong in too many ways to count.
    Last edited by captain_video; 03-24-2004 at 02:24 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    Filing a VeRO report or sending a DMCA takedown notice will cost you the price of a stamp (or a fax). The law in this country is on the copyright holder's side, for better or for worse.
    Will you make a full time effort of tracking down every infringer?
    How will you collect damages?
    Is it worth your time?

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    As somebody whose code was misappropriated by the scammers on eBay, I resent the fact that you (who has not had his work stolen, at least in this context) are arrogantly telling the rest of us what to do. In fact, your bitter opposition to copyright enforcement actions makes me wonder if you are one of the dealers in question. Have you ever sold a hacked TiVo on eBay?

We'll ask for your opinion when your work gets ripped off and unwittingly associated with criminal activity. In the meantime, leave us alone when we take actions to defend our intellectual property.
    You have no idea what hacks I have unleashed into the world (Not Tivo). You have no idea how much money I have directly lost from others stealing my work. You have no idea how much I have spent in legal fees regarding this issue. I am not trying to be arrogant. It is not "bitter resentment for copyright enforcement, I was just trying to point out the futility in trying to shut scammers like this down. Take all the action you want, its your time. You will never see a dime though.

And no, I have never sold a hacked unit on Ebay, or anywhere else. And it's not because I fear reprisal from copyright holders. It is simply not profitable enough to waste my time. Others, who hold a lower value on thier time do not have this concern. There are a lot of them. You will never even make a dent no matter how many stamps you have.

Mr. Homie,
    These comments are not meant to upset you or other developers. I have used and appreciate your work. I have never sold it or profited by it. Believe me I have lost BIG due to this problem and I feel your pain.

Sometimes I spend more time protecting/securing a hack than actually developing it. It's really sad. My strategy is to be first, make hay quickly at high margin, then when the copycats come along (and they always do) let them battle it out for the crumbs, and hopefully have something new (again at high margin) to do instead. By posting your work on a public forum, you are wide open to theft. Yes it is theft, but what can you REALLY do? You can't trust or control people, so if you feel that strongly about it you should not post your IP in public. That would be a great loss to us all.

Do whatever you need to do to protect your IP, if it's worth it. In my experience, for me, it is not!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    If you're not seeing it in "legitimate" form then you're not looking. .
    Tell us where this same product can be purchased legitimately. I mean, the same thing, ready to go, so any numbnuts can install it.

I agree 100% with the support issue, and feel bad for the developers, but no matter what anyone here says or does this shit is just gonna happen. Thats all I'm trying to say. It is futile! The "DDB police force" is not going to change a thing.

Helloooooo. I got it now. Had been using reply button at bottom. I'm learning this stuff just give me time. As for the screwdrivers. Why can't they just use Phillips heads like everyone else?
    cause tivo isnt designed to be opened by end users. is a quick and easy way for them to ward off the most casual peeps who whould open the case.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids