Thread: Can you get a Peanut Remote to work with a Sony box?

Can you get a Peanut Remote to work with a Sony box?

I have loaded a Sony image onto a HDVR2 box. Now my remotes will not work.

I do know that I have not fried my box. I can put my original drive in the box and my remote works fine.

I know I have read about people wanting to get their T60 remotes to work instead of the peanut remote, but has anyone tried to do the opposite?

I didn't even think this was an issue when I begged for a SA 4.0 image to load on my HDVR2. Goes to show that you can always get hit with something from left field!

Thanks.

Quato_DC

Your first mistake was trying to use a series 1 image on a series 2 Tivo. They are not compatible, plain and simple. The 2nd was trying to use a Sony image on a Hughes box. You can use a series 1 SAT-T60 image on a Philips DSR6000 or Hughes GXCEBOT and your Sony remote will work on the box you installed the T60 image on. If Sony offered a series 2 DTivo for sale then it's quite likely you could use the Sony image on your HDVR2 but since Sony doesn't market a S2 DTivo you're SOL.

If you want to get a peanut remote to work with a SAT-T60 then you can install a DSR6000 or GXCEBOT image on the drive and it will work fine.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Your first mistake was trying to use a series 1 image on a series 2 Tivo. They are not compatible, plain and simple. The 2nd was trying to use a Sony image on a Hughes box. You can use a series 1 SAT-T60 image on a Philips DSR6000 or Hughes GXCEBOT and your Sony remote will work on the box you installed the T60 image on. If Sony offered a series 2 DTivo for sale then it's quite likely you could use the Sony image on your HDVR2 but since Sony doesn't market a S2 DTivo you're SOL.

If you want to get a peanut remote to work with a SAT-T60 then you can install a DSR6000 or GXCEBOT image on the drive and it will work fine.
    He was talking about 4.0. The Sony image is from a SVR3000. It will work fine. As for the remote problem, I don't think anyone has found a way to toggle the remote either way on 4.0. His best bet would be to go on a search for a different S2 4.0 image.

There are scripts around here to change remote codes. You don't have to reimage. But 4.0x has yet to be changed from anything but the stock peenut.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

He was talking about 4.0. The Sony image is from a SVR3000.
    Either you are clairvoyant or you saw him post something in another thread that I missed. He mentioned 4.0 as an afterthought, although I suppose with a bit of rationalization I could have put 2 and 2 together and realized this was the image he was restoring. He also never mentioned what model Sony Tivo he was talking about. I don't have a SA Tivo and never played with 4.0 which is why it didn't compute at the time.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Image used

Captian Video: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but no.. I am not trying to load a series 1 image on a series 2 box..

A friend has a Series2 Sony unit (forget model number) with HMO and everything installed.. I tried to use his image to update my HDVR2 to 4.x
    I did get 4.x installed, (it runs but says I have no channels in my lineup so can't watch TV) I believe that I need to erase and reboot the system, but don't have the sony remote to press the thumbs down button 3 times to confirm. I am working to get my hands on the sony remote for a few days to do more testing..

SR712: Where are these scripts.. I haven't seen anything that will allow me to change the remote back to the peanut remote instead of the sony. can you share a link? Thanks

Quato_DC

Swapping Remotes...

Here-> , and here-> . But, no one has been successful with changing 4.0 to anything else. Funny, I have just the opposite desire as you. I have 4.0b and wish to replace the peanut with the sony remote. Maybe its as easy as swapping the /sbin/irmicro.hex? Might be worth a try.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Quote Originally Posted by quato_dc
    Captian Video: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but no.. I am not trying to load a series 1 image on a series 2 box..

A friend has a Series2 Sony unit (forget model number) with HMO and everything installed.. I tried to use his image to update my HDVR2 to 4.x
    I did get 4.x installed, (it runs but says I have no channels in my lineup so can't watch TV) I believe that I need to erase and reboot the system, but don't have the sony remote to press the thumbs down button 3 times to confirm. I am working to get my hands on the sony remote for a few days to do more testing..

SR712: Where are these scripts.. I haven't seen anything that will allow me to change the remote back to the peanut remote instead of the sony. can you share a link? Thanks

Quato_DC
    PM me if you want a v4 image that works with the peanut remote.

Quote Originally Posted by SR712
    Here-> , and here-> . But, no one has been successful with changing 4.0 to anything else. Funny, I have just the opposite desire as you. I have 4.0b and wish to replace the peanut with the sony remote. Maybe its as easy as swapping the /sbin/irmicro.hex? Might be worth a try.
    Negative on the irmicro.hex. They are identical across the Sony and Hughes versions.

Also, be mindful that 4.0 is a SA OS. The Sony SA uses a different remote and remote codes than the Sony combo unit, unlike the hughes branded units.

If you were to find the magic toggle, switch, settings, voodoo chant, you would still have a bit more work to get a RM-Y809 to work as opposed to the RM-V303.

A head start for both of you would be to exchange images. You each mostly ave what the other wants.