Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question before I start

Question before I start

I will have all of my hardware in tomorrow ( DVR704, 120gig HD and USB to ethernet adaptor ). I have read up around the forum and think I understand what I need to do to hax my Tivo. Below I have listed out what I belive to be the general process to hax a Tivo. Please help me out by reading this and point out what I have wrong.

1. Open my Tivo and un hook the Hard drive.

2. Boot up my PC using a CD with SLeeper's iso. Having the Tivo drive and the new 120 gig drive connected to the same IDE channel.

3. Copy over the Tivo drive to the 120 gig drive.

4. Apply the SLeeper scripts to enable the haxs and install the drivers I need for my USB to ether net adaptor.

5. Put the new 120gig drive in the Tivo and boot it up.

6 Telnet into the Tivo and activate the hacks I want activated.

7. Sit back and enjoy

Do I need to partition the 120 gig drive first and if so do I need to format it?

I don't remember the exact steps, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

You don't need to do any partitioning of the drive and always make sure you have a good backup before starting. I know tivoscripts does a backup as its first step, but I like to dd the entire drive to another one and put it away somewhere just in case.

Do I have it right that I need to copy my original Tivo drive to my new 120gig drive? I want to have my original Tivo ( unmodified ) drive sitting around incase something bad happens to my 120gig I am putting in.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmikemc
    Do I have it right that I need to copy my original Tivo drive to my new 120gig drive? I want to have my original Tivo ( unmodified ) drive sitting around incase something bad happens to my 120gig I am putting in.
    If by "copy" you mean backup and restore, yes.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

?

This is what I want to do.

1. Use my new 120gig drive in my Tivo.

2. Have my non hacked Tivo drive sitting in my closet incase something goes wrong.

I don't want to mod or hack the original drive becasue I want a fail safe backup solution ( I am an IT guy what do you expect ).

When I read "If by "copy" you mean backup and restore, yes." I think to myself that this means I make a backup image of the original drive then hack the original drive which is not what I want to do. Am I worng about this or does this mean I backup the original to the new drive and then use the new drive in my Tivo?

What you will want to do is backup the original drive. This will create a backup image for you to use. When you restore this image, restore it to the new 120gig drive. YOu will now have the unmodified original drive to put in the closet and can then sleeper the new 120gig drive.

Well were does the backup image go? If I have 2 HDs hooked up ( Tivo and 120gig ) and a CD-ROM to boot from hooked up where does the backup go other than than the 120gig drive? Do I need a third hard drive?

You can pipe the backup to a restore in one command.

All this is very carefully explained in the Hinsdale upgrade guide.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmikemc
    I will have all of my hardware in tomorrow ( DVR704, 120gig HD and USB to ethernet adaptor ). I have read up around the forum and think I understand what I need to do to hax my Tivo. Below I have listed out what I belive to be the general process to hax a Tivo. Please help me out by reading this and point out what I have wrong.

1. Open my Tivo and un hook the Hard drive.

2. Boot up my PC using a CD with SLeeper's iso. Having the Tivo drive and the new 120 gig drive connected to the same IDE channel.

3. Copy over the Tivo drive to the 120 gig drive.

4. Apply the SLeeper scripts to enable the haxs and install the drivers I need for my USB to ether net adaptor.

5. Put the new 120gig drive in the Tivo and boot it up.

6 Telnet into the Tivo and activate the hacks I want activated.

7. Sit back and enjoy

Do I need to partition the 120 gig drive first and if so do I need to format it?

NO! NO! NO!!!! You've gotten TiVoScripts mixed up with Hindsdale. You obviously did not read the TiVoScripts support thread.

Step 2: Boot up your computer with the TiVo drive hooked up as secondary master. Your CDROM MUST be hooked up as primary slave. Your primary master drive (your C: drive) MUST be FAT 32.

Step 3. TiVoScripts will back up your TiVo drive to your primary master.

Step 4. Shut down the computer, remove the TiVo drive, and install your new drive in it's place. Restore the backup, *, Run the surgery phase, *, run the hacks phase. *= It is recommended that you test the drive in your TiVo at these points.

Step 6. All installed hacks are already activated. You may want to update some of them, you might want to disable others.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    You can pipe the backup to a restore in one command.

All this is very carefully explained in the Hinsdale upgrade guide.
    WRONG!!! He's using TiVoScripts, not Hinsdale. Two very different utilities.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill

PlainBill
    Thought he was talking about making a backup before applying Tivoscripts; didn't realise that Tivoscripts does its own backup; my machines being hand hacked.
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill

PlainBill
    Dear senior members!

Please explain the different methods available and the most suitable one to use. There are loads of info available in the forum and it's really hard to get an overall picture of what to do
    So if the senior members can give a brief picture (or a proper reference), will help all the newcomers...

Quote Originally Posted by dna
    Dear senior members!

Please explain the different methods available and the most suitable one to use. There are loads of info available in the forum and it's really hard to get an overall picture of what to do
    So if the senior members can give a brief picture (or a proper reference), will help all the newcomers...
    Use Sleeper's TivoScripts ISO. It is available in the DirecTiVo Series 2 Hacking forum and the thread is called Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks ISO. Although it is in this forum, it can be used for ALL units. I believe the latest version is 1.0.2. There is a long thread that you should read, or at least skim. Otherwise, if you read the included documentation and follow the directions it's very straightforward.

The reason it's important to read the thread is that when you are done, several updates/changes need to be made, some depending on what version of software you are using, etc.

falcontx
    Last edited by falcontx; 03-26-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dna
    Dear senior members!

The 'most suitable' will depend on your goals and knowledge level. If all you want to do is expand to a larger hard drive, read Hinsdale's How To, get MFStools 2.0, and go do it.

If you want to add hacks, you hve two choices: Monte using TiVoScripts (aka Sleeper's iso), or monte manually.

If you are not familiar with Linux, I'd give Nader a better chance of winning in November than you of performing a Monte manually. TivoScripts will upgrade you to a larger drive and do the Monte quickly so you can get your TiVo back together, but you will have to learn a little Linux if you hope to update any of the hacks it installs.

PlainBill

Also burn a CD with your backup image so you have a backup of your backup... and maybe burn another and send to your grandmother.. and... ;^P
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'