Thread: Need Superzap's and Jafa's expert opinion, and everyone else's too :)

Need Superzap's and Jafa's expert opinion, and everyone else's too :)

I have a problem w/ a Sat-T60. It was unmodded, except for adding a larger 2nd drive and has been working fine for months. A couple days ago I decided to upgrade to get the hacks and then to put my airnet card in, and also it didnt have and I wanted to get a bash prompt so here is what I did:

1: Booted tivo a drive in my pc as hdb from the "xupgrade" boot cd
    2: Ran "upgrd310.sh"
    3: Message was that I had incorrect os "3.1.0b"
    4: Rebooted and changed the cd to the "nic-install" disc
    5: Ran "nic-install airnet" and answered all of the questions (ie ip address, router)
    6: Shut down the pc, changed back the jumper and re-installed it in my tivo
    7: Got a brief "Welcome ..." message and then the dreaded "CANNOT BOOT KERNEL" message

Since then, I have been back on the pc and edited rc.sysinit, removed any trace (I can find) of the airnet drivers and still I get the same message. I have looked everywhere I can think of to find anything out of the ordinary on the tivo drive. Nothing.

Everything I have read in the forums say it is a bad harddrive. I refuse to believe this as it works fine in the pc. This has to be some sort of mis-configuration or something that xupgrade or nic_install put in, and I cant find it. I posted a similar message as a reply to another problem like mine and it got a "needs the prom update" message. I have looked and cannot find just a prom update file. Is there one available?

Also, is there any way to re-put the os on and not lose previous recordings, or does the 2nd drive have the recordings and I can remount it with a new drive that has a new image on it?

Looking for answers from the brilliant minds out there.

Thanks.

You might be waiting a long time for SuperZap, and Jafa has his own forum at silicondust.That's the message you get when you need to run killinitrd and/or flash the prom. The nic install disk has an option for that, I believe. The 25xtreme install ISO also does both automatically during its install.
    Last edited by SR712; 03-26-2004 at 10:55 PM.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

So if I run the 25xtreme update, I will lose any prior recordings, correct?

Also, since I have sw ver 3.1.0b, would it still install 2.5.2 over the top?

Last question, w/o using 25xtreme, is there a stand alone prom update s/w out there?

Thank you for the reply. Any help makes me happy (my wife too

Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes. Its somewhere here. Its been so long I forget what its called. Why don't you just do the 25xtreme to another spare hard drive? Let it boot up twice in the TiVo on its own. (This flashes the prom) Take it out when its done, and then do the killinitrd to the old Hard Drive off of the nic install CD?
    Last edited by SR712; 03-26-2004 at 11:30 PM.

now nothing

So now I have disabled initrd and added the prom update from the nic-install disk, (both from the drive in a pc). When I put the drive back in the dtivo and booted, I got to "welcome..." and then it hung w/o any auto reboot. After about 5 minutes I pulled the plug and restarted, but now I get nothing at all on the screen, but the power light is lit on the front.

HELP !!!!!

Do you have 25xtreme and an extra Hard Disk?

I have 25x and I will have a hd tomorrow. I also have a image of a t60 at 2.5.2. Do you think that if I put the image on a new drive and then add the 2nd drive that my recordings might still be accessable?

I guess the more direct question is: Where are the recordings stored in a 2 drive system, and if they are on the second drive, can you get a now playing list of the ones that are?

SR712, thanks for the help!!!

I don't know. Someone else will have to help you on that one. I have never played around with more than one drive, so I have no experience there. I always thought one big one was enough for me.