Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Re-Encoding DTV source

So, sorry for the delay in reporting back. Travel schedule has been brutal lately.

I did some experiments and followed all of the procedures suggested. None of them made any improvement....But, what I didn't recognize at first was, they all work. The resultant mpeg files are all workable and play fine on my xbox, and also on the PC directly (so long as I dont do any random jumping around in playback). They work in mpeg2vcr just fine, and tmpgenc, and virtualdub all seem to load and process the files ok.

They just seem to confuse every windows playback program I've tried in two respects - the playback programs think that a ~23 minute clip is both 23 minutes long and also 3 minutes long, depending on which part of the display. And, any sort of random access jumping around in the file playback (e.g. clicking on the middle of the slidebar on media player), causes all sorts of synch problems, and lockups.

I notice that the file properties reports 15,000 Kbps, and that the average bitrate is nowhere near that high. I suspect that this is related to the behavior I am noticing. On doing some search, I see that this is the bitrate that dtivo streams always report, so I can't be the first person to come across this, but I haven't seen any solutions mentioned in any of the searches I've done.

Does anyone else extract videos from their dtivo to watch on their PC and has a suggestion on addressing this issue? New software? Some tool to patch the mpeg file? I could transcode the file but that is unpreferred.

All input so far greatly appreciated, any more is as well.

Try creating a "new format" VOB from DTiVo source. Load that using AviSynth's DirectShowSource command. I've just done some quick tests and it seems to work properly.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

wow... this still seems to be a huge issue.. do we know if there has been any new developments? I wish i knew enough and understood it all to help out more, about all I can do it test

Quote Originally Posted by FredThompson
    Try creating a "new format" VOB from DTiVo source. Load that using AviSynth's DirectShowSource command. I've just done some quick tests and it seems to work properly.
    not being a script wizard can you give an example of how to do a AviSynth's command. I'm familar with creating a "new format" VOB just not sure what to do next.

hi just out of curiousity, did anything ever pan out concerning re-encoding dtv mpegs? i was following this thread last year, and tried to read up recently, but don't see a clear solution. am i missing something? would love to re-encode some things for someone who's dvd player doesn't play dtivo resolutions.
    thanks

I haven't tried in awhile (still fiddling around with stuff) but if I remember right, you have two options on Windows, and one on other systems.

Windows:
    Use DGMPG from http://neuron2.net. Create your index files with DGIndex and then feed them through DGFix before frameserving.

Everything (including Windows):
    Use mencoder from http://mplayerhq.hu.

Intuitively speaking, the Windows solution seems like it would have higher output quality as it actually handles the repeat field/top field first flag discontinuities correctly. But it involves demuxing out the audio, which means resyncing is a pain. In contrast, mencoder transcodes in sync, but it may gloss over the discontinuities.

zqfmbg thanks for the reply

i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to avisynth. have used it to convert pal to ntsc, but never used the dgfix etc...

i figure that when you mean create your files in dgindex you do mean the d2v and mpa files, correct? i did that, i'm not sure what you mean about the dgfix thing. i see a dgfix.exe and when i run it i get a cmd window for a split second. can you shed light please
    thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by jhr1948
    i'm not sure what you mean about the dgfix thing. i see a dgfix.exe and when i run it i get a cmd window for a split second. can you shed light please
    You need to open a command-prompt window and do this:

"C:\Program Files\DGIndex\DGFix.exe C:\Path\To\Your\Whatever.d2v"

What I have done is to create a batch file I keep in the directory with all of my d2v files. It looks like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    "C:\Program Files\DGIndex\DGFix.exe" %1
    pause
    Then, I just drag-and-drop the D2V file on top of this batch file in Explorer, and it does the magic for me.

-Zak

hey zako thanks for the help. i'm now feeling even more like a noob. i'm not able to do what you instructed me.

i run a cmd prompt
    ---up pops up this C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez>

then i paste "C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\avisynth\dgmpg\1012\DGFix.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\tivo test\test.d2v" and hit return

"i get this message The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. was i supposed to install any other program to get this running? i just reformated my pc recently, so i don't have many things installed yet.

thanks for the help
    jose

Quote Originally Posted by jhr1948
    i get this message The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
    Because the program and filename argument both have spaces in them, you'll need to put quotes around each of them. Like this:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\avisynth\dgmpg\1012\DGFix.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\tivo test\test.d2v"

It should output a file named test.d2v.fixed which you can then rename to test-fixed.d2v and treat it just like any other d2v file.

-Zak

you know zak0 that's what i realized before you replied. so i pasted this:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\avisynth\dgmpg\1012\DGFix.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Jose Rodriguez\My Documents\tivo test\test.d2v"

i was short on time & could not check for errors, but i still got the same response. when i get home i'll fiddle with it again.
    thanks again

Deinterlacing filters?

I've been fiddling w/this on my own for about 3 months now, and I've stumbled on to the same conclusions made here. Dgindex seems to work fine, a quick hit with dgfix (as necessary, normally not as I'm archiving very few non animated shows), and then a run through avisynth + avs2yuv + mencoder. That said, I've yet to perfect a deinterlacing pattern that really works well.

If any of you are AVISYNTH guru's I'd appreciate you taking a look at this, maybe we can combine to come up with the best of all worlds

Code:
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\dgdecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\mvtools.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\msharpen.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\msmooth.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\mpgconv\binary\filters\unfilter.dll")
    Mpeg2Source("c:\tivo\Justice League Unlimited - The Doomsday Sanction.d2v")
    Telecide(order=1,guide=2)
    FieldDeinterlace(full=true,dthreshold=5,blend=true)
    Crop(8,64,-8,-64)
    Deblock(aOffset=35)
    Msmooth(threshold=5,highq=true,strength=2)
    Unfilter(-15,-15)
    Lanczos4Resize(512,288)

Is your source film? If not, don't deinterlace. It's that simple.

NTSC is 2 DIFFERENT 30 fps streams of 1/60 sec images, PAL is 25 fps streams of 1/50 sec images.

The only "perfect" way to deinterlace involves doubling the frame rate.

If your souce is film, decomb, don't deinterlace. You want to recover the original frames, not mash together padded source.

Go to neuron2's forum to get advice on decombing. It can get very ugly, real quick.
    Last edited by FredThompson; 02-20-2005 at 04:33 AM.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Ugly Quick

And it has gotten ugly, the above is the best I've done for decombing
    Thx though

This is why I suggest you go to http://neuron2.net/board/ and read up on decombing. There's also a lot of stuff at doom9 but it's not uncommon to get confused there. If you're looking at something like anime, it may very well be film->video->video which can be a real mess.