Thread: Need help subscribing.

Need help subscribing.

I have aquired a pair of really nice directivos. (dsr6000) They are upgraded to more storage space, and setup to do video extraction. Xtreme 2.52 + nophone + turbonet, really sweet setup. The problem is that I know they were previously used in a "less than legal" situation. I would like to subscribe them legit, but I'm afraid if I do I might find trouble.

I don't mind plugging in the phone line except that I don't know if plugging it in will cause the xtreme software to be upgraded so I won't be able to use the extraction software. So the question is, do I plug in the phone line or just tell them its plugged in and subscribe without? (can I subscribe without?) PPV isn't a problem, I can order it online if need be.

If I do a clear and delete all in the menus, will it wipe out all the history of these boxes having been mis-used? If not, what files should I go through and delete? I think it might be easier to wipe the drives and start fresh so I know for sure its safe, but the person I got the boxes from mentioned that getting the turbonet cards to work was a real pain. I'm not exactly linux savy, so I'd rather not get myself in too deep just yet.

Suggestions?
    Baby lain doesn't know computers.

One other question...

Does the tivo service cost extra on top of the $4.99 I'm going to have to pay for additional receivers? How much?

Quote Originally Posted by lain
    I have aquired a pair of really nice directivos. (dsr6000) They are upgraded to more storage space, and setup to do video extraction. Xtreme 2.52 + nophone + turbonet, really sweet setup. The problem is that I know they were previously used in a "less than legal" situation. I would like to subscribe them legit, but I'm afraid if I do I might find trouble.

I don't mind plugging in the phone line except that I don't know if plugging it in will cause the xtreme software to be upgraded so I won't be able to use the extraction software. So the question is, do I plug in the phone line or just tell them its plugged in and subscribe without? (can I subscribe without?) PPV isn't a problem, I can order it online if need be.

If I do a clear and delete all in the menus, will it wipe out all the history of these boxes having been mis-used? If not, what files should I go through and delete? I think it might be easier to wipe the drives and start fresh so I know for sure its safe, but the person I got the boxes from mentioned that getting the turbonet cards to work was a real pain. I'm not exactly linux savy, so I'd rather not get myself in too deep just yet.

Suggestions?
    I would do a Clear and Delete everything. This will wipe all recordings, settings, etc. While you're at it, I'd also delete the files in the /var/logs directory. The TiVo subscription costs $12.95 for any number of TiVos, DirecTV wants $5.00 per month for each extra receiver.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Actually you don't need to do any file deletion. You can just sign them up and tell DTV that they are plugged into a phone line, but do not plug them in (this includes to a DSL or Cable router). If you plug them in they will upgrade to 3.1 an you will no longer have any of the nice setups (hacks) you have.
    DTV charges $5 for TiVo service for your account (how ever many TiVo's you have) in addition to the added receiver cost.

That sounds like the best overall option, but one thing worries me. If I tell dtv they are plugged in, and they are not, will my programming package drop off after a month or so when there is a no call home situation?

I've read that this can be done. (been reading posts here for two days) But I don't think I've read one post that was definative. In other words, most of them say "you can do this," but nobody has flat out said "thats how I did it." I don't want to stick my neck out for hearsay. Do we know "100% for sure" that dtv won't be able to tell that they're not plugged in.

Also, I would like to know if there are possible future problems from not having upgraded to 3.1. I realize they would be able to be fixed so I could tackle the problem when it arises. Just wondering if anyone knows. Perhaps one day I'll come home to an empty guide or worse?

That sounds like the best overall option, but one thing worries me. If I tell dtv they are plugged in, and they are not, will my programming package drop off after a month or so when there is a no call home situation?
    Nope, its not going to be a problem at all. The only reason DTV asks about the phone line is to make sure you're subbing the unit on your account and that it will be physically located at the same billing address as the rest of the receivers on your account. This is so you're not subbing your neighbor's Tivo on your account to avoid paying for Total Choice. DTV does not check to see if your Tivo dialed home.

Also, I would like to know if there are possible future problems from not having upgraded to 3.1. I realize they would be able to be fixed so I could tackle the problem when it arises. Just wondering if anyone knows. Perhaps one day I'll come home to an empty guide or worse?
    I don't think anyone can say for sure that you'll never have a problem but right now it does not appear likely. Using an older OS version usually means that you just won't have all of the latest features.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by okleydokley
    but do not plug them in (this includes to a DSL or Cable router). If you plug them in they will upgrade to 3.1 an you will no longer have any of the nice setups (hacks) you have.

Do you mean to say that DTivo's update over the internet too? Zoiks!
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

Captain,

Are you saying that DTV won't do anything if the phone line is not plugged in?

I'm confused - I was was going to subscribe three DTIVO's and only connect one to the phone line but saw this on thier Web site FAQ:

When we "mirror" your subscription to additional receivers, we do verify that all your receivers are continuously connected to the same phone line. If we find that a receiver with "mirror" service is not connected to the phone line, we will discontinue service to that receiver and you will need to call us to re-establish that service.

I guess my real question should be - If I'm properly subscibed to DirecTV, what should I NOT have on my DTIVO's if they are plugged into the phone line?

Thanks....

The last I heard was that DTV will only disable your ability to order PPVs via your remote if the phone line is disconnected for an extended period. You can still order PPVs via the DTV website. I've had DTivos subbed for several years and never lost service at any time and none of them have ever been connected to the phone line except during the initial setup.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

To follow up, it I can say it works just as has been said. I called and told them I wanted to remove my old sony standalone receiver from my account and add the tivos. They sent me new cards and had me call back when they arrived. On the second call she asked me if the phone line was plugged in. I said yes knowing full well it wasn't and she turned them on.

I can't say for sure that nothing will happen after a month or so since it hasn't been that long yet. From what I've read here and elsewhere I don't think it will be a problem.

Thank you Captain and Lain,

Just in case I'm moved to connect a phone line - what hacks are best left off the system, assuming I'm using tools like Xtreme and Xplusz?

Thanks again....