Thread: Inserting directly from file system (USB Hd)

Question Inserting directly from file system (USB Hd)

Hi, I've been doing some research for the last few days and have been playing around with moving files from one Tivo to another using a USB Hard Drive (much faster). I was wondering, how can I insert files directly from the drive into the system. I would prefer to rip to .tmf format and have yet to find info on that either. I have successfully ripped shows to .ty format (using mfs_export), but I had to insert them from my computer as I couldn't figure out how to do it directly from the USB drive.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin
    Last edited by compwiz312; 04-05-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Can anyone help me?

Back in the days when I first started working on tystream insertion, I created a script that did exactly what you are talking about here, except iirc it only handles one tystream part per recording. You couuld easily adjust it to handle more, and then it'll do exactly what you want. You can find that script in this thread:

http://alt.org/forum/index.php?t=msg...8d44ea298f0168
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

AlphaWolf, I don't really know tcl at all, so do you think I could bother you to tell me what modifications to make? Also, if I combined the files into one .ty file (using cat), would I still have to modify anything?

Also, do you know if there is either a way to generate .tmf recordings from the command line (on the USB-hd) and if so, how would I go about inserting them.

Also, failing that, is there a way to generate Mfs-ftp type .ty files with the XML info at the end, so that either way I want to have the info with the recording.

Thanks,
    Justin

P.S. Haven't tried the script yet, but it should work on a 4.01b SA right?

Are you going to share with us how you mounted the USB drive in the TIVO?

I have heard rumors of this, but my searching hasn't found anyone willing to explain this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnydeath
    Are you going to share with us how you mounted the USB drive in the TIVO?

I have heard rumors of this, but my searching hasn't found anyone willing to explain this.
    It's really not that hard. First you have to download the drivers from from Tivoutils s2-2.4.18-modules.tgz (for a 4.0 Tivo) or s2-2.4.4-modules.tgz (for a 3.x Tivo).

Next, get Tivopart and pdisk from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=16

What you want to do now is, using pdisk from the archive, partition and format your drive (preferrably on your PC, much faster), using pdisk.i686 and mke2fs.

Next, upload the correct drivers to /lib/modules on the Tivo (from the archive you downloaded) and also upload tivopart.mips to the Tivo and rename it to tivopart (if you wish).

Finally, to load the drive on to the Tivo, execute the following commands (assuming you made /dev/sda2 your ext2 partition)
    Code:
     cd /lib/modules
    insmod scsi_mod.o
    insmod sd_mod.o
    insmod usb-storage.o
    tivopart reinitialize /dev/sda
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    Now, your drive should be fully mounted and functional on your Tivo. To mount it in linux, it is very similar (I have to manually load the drivers on slackware, but thats just because its corrupt). If you use RedHat, I think it will autodetect the drive in linux, but you have to do one of two things to read it (if you do it this way), use Tivopart to load the partition table into memory or recompile your kernel to support Tivo partition layouts.

Enjoy.

P.S. Still could use Alphawolf's response to my above post.

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz312
    AlphaWolf, I don't really know tcl at all, so do you think I could bother you to tell me what modifications to make? Also, if I combined the files into one .ty file (using cat), would I still have to modify anything?

Also, do you know if there is either a way to generate .tmf recordings from the command line (on the USB-hd) and if so, how would I go about inserting them.

Also, failing that, is there a way to generate Mfs-ftp type .ty files with the XML info at the end, so that either way I want to have the info with the recording.

Thanks,
    Justin

P.S. Haven't tried the script yet, but it should work on a 4.01b SA right?
    Well, its easy to do, but it takes time, and I don't really have the time to look into any of that, but rest assured that everything you are asking about here can be done via tcl scripts. Just read up on TCL and the respective archiving formats, its all extremely easy to learn.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

look at this thread.
    It appears rc3105 has successfully done all the things you are asking about. Apparantly he wrote a utility called Unified NowShowing that was not released. (It is described in a general manner in the thread.) He would definitely be the person to ask for details and/or advice on how to get started on something similar yourself. I hope this helps somewhat.
    -David

TiVo Part files are limited to 512Mb, so catting them together won't work. You create a recording object which points to multiple Part files.

mfs_ftp is the only "available" way to create tmfs directly, although you can assemble them from the component elements.

Best thing is to figure out enough TCL to be able to read the mfs_ftp code.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    Best thing is to figure out enough TCL to be able to read the mfs_ftp code.
    LOL everything you need to know is in mfs_ftp or tivoweb

tivosh is a tcl interpreter with a lot of tivo specific extensions. once you speak tcl you can start learning the extensions, then you can start on the quirks. won't really be able to do much if you're not fluent

as for attaching a usb hd / burner / webcam / <insert-fav-usb-gadget-here>, it's just a goofy little mips box. find / compile / install drivers same way you would on any other linux platform. fat32 modules are available which makes moving recordings from pc <-> tivo as easy as toggling a kvm
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    LOL everything you need to know is in mfs_ftp or tivoweb

tivosh is a tcl interpreter with a lot of tivo specific extensions. once you speak tcl you can start learning the extensions, then you can start on the quirks. won't really be able to do much if you're not fluent
    Any TCL tutorials or books you would recommend?

Justin

Any TCL tutorials or books you would recommend?
    Funny... I had to look up something TCLish a couple of hours ago for an unrelated problem and found this: http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.2.3/TclCmd/contents.htm

FYI: Google is your friend.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652