Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (deprecated) TivoWebPlus - Upgrade development and posting

(deprecated) TivoWebPlus - Upgrade development and posting

DEPRECATED
    new thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=44756

This is not a support thread for tivowebplus. This thread is for the posting and development and posting. the regular tivowebplus thread is here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...4&page=1&pp=40

if you have problems with a specific upgrade, discuss it here if you can provide enough info to debug. if not, then post in one of the support forums. upgrades in this thread may be considered for inclusion in the next tivoweb release. please be sure to base your upgrade on the latest release of tivoweb, and also note what version you are patching. ie:

This ui.itcl mod adds the following features, and is based on tivowebplus 1.0 final:
    -blah
    -blah
    -blah
    Last edited by mrblack51; 08-11-2005 at 12:05 AM.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Enhancements (by Boody)

Hey folks. I've made some enhacements to TivoWebPlus v1.0-rc5
    I have (only) a Dtivo, so some of this stuff is untested on SA units, but please have a look, if you're interested. The enhancements are:

• episode hover descriptions everywhere (they were missing from some screens like rec scheduling, conflicts)

• adding a "(R)" to episode title when a show is a repeat

• adding a 1 click record link to channel guide (opens new browser into the conflicts (if any) screen so all you have to do is click record - this skips the rec options page)

• show actual start and end times (inclusive of padding) to the episode recording screen and todo list

• added a 45min padding option

• allow user to delete conflicts from the conflict screen instead of separately before scheduling a recording (this counts on the user to be smart about removing all conflicts, although if you don't tivo will fix it later with probably unexpected results)

Please let me know if you see any bugs, or better yet, submit correct code for your SA unit if you find a bug. I've already given this code to mrblack51 so speak up if you like it and maybe it'll make it to a future release.

To install, unzip, copy both files to modules dir, shut down and restart tivoweb. Make sure to keep backup copies of ui.itcl and sched.itcl in case you don't like my mods.

I'll give it a shot. Those sound like extremely useful enchancements. In fact, one of them (adding descriiption hovers to all screens) is something I keep doing separately with each release.

The 1-click record option from the Channel Guide sounds similarly useful. I did an original (rough, bad amateur coded) weekly channel guide with hovers and original air dates that FalxonTX thankfully redid and put in Tivowebplus into real code.

Quote Originally Posted by boody
    Hey folks. I've made some enhacements to TivoWebPlus v1.0-rc5
    I have (only) a Dtivo, so some of this stuff is untested on SA units, but please have a look, if you're interested. The enhancements are:

• episode hover descriptions everywhere (they were missing from some screens like rec scheduling, conflicts)

• adding a "(R)" to episode title when a show is a repeat

• adding a 1 click record link to channel guide (opens new browser into the conflicts (if any) screen so all you have to do is click record - this skips the rec options page)

• show actual start and end times (inclusive of padding) to the episode recording screen and todo list

• added a 45min padding option

• allow user to delete conflicts from the conflict screen instead of separately before scheduling a recording (this counts on the user to be smart about removing all conflicts, although if you don't tivo will fix it later with probably unexpected results)

Please let me know if you see any bugs, or better yet, submit correct code for your SA unit if you find a bug. I've already given this code to mrblack51 so speak up if you like it and maybe it'll make it to a future release.
    I liked the changes for this a lot. Really helps for those of us who frequently (like weekly) browse channel guides to schedule programs. Just a few comments:

The "cancel" button on the conflicts screen wasn't working for me. Not really a problem since you can just close the window. I will note that I use Firefox instead of IE (hasn't been a problem for me in Tivowebplus).

I liked that you added start/end times on the record and conflict screens. And that there are now hovers (with description and original air date). However, I can't see episode titles anywhere (just show titles). Maybe just add episode titles in the hovers instead of proviiding a new column?

Also, although they were mentioned in your post, I didn't see start/end times on the Todo screen. Instead of creating a new column, you might consider adding them in the hover, with description and original air date.

I like adding the 45 minute padding. I'd also consider adding 120 minute and 150 minute negative padding. The reason: the DirecTV NFL, College football and NBA package program durations are locked in at a ridiculous 6 hours. You can current negative pad 180 minutes of that, leaving a 3 hour record time, but you can miss the ends of overtime NBA games and nearly all football games doing it that way. I currently have to manually add back in code for 120 minute and 150 minute negative padding options with every Tivowebplus upgrade. Or else manually program times through the remote control.

I liked that changes.

I like the changes too, specifically the hover descriptions in more places, and the ability to delete conflicts from the actual recording screen.

I also had enjoyed LJay's modification that allowed quicker recordings (less clicks when there were no conflicts)

http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/

'Record with default options (No conflicts found)' or, if there are conflicts, two extra options: 'Record with default options - show existing <number> conflicts' and 'Record with default options - CANCEL THE <number> CONFLICTS'.
    anyway to incorporate the best of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    anyway to incorporate the best of both?
    in general, its trivial to include multiple peoples hacks. in fact, thats what tivowebplus was all about. if you want to do it yourself before an official release, you can do a diff against the original ui.itcl and then patch yourself, or wait for someone else to do it.

for those thinking about doing the above - please do NOT post combinations of hacks in this thread. This thread is for original improvements only. Posting combinations here will just cause confusion later.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

One of the best modules I've seen that I would love to see incorporated into TivoWeb is backup.itcl (Backing up Season Passes and Wishlists)

Allows to backup, and restore (even fixing conflicts) of all your SPs. It can be downloaded from http://www.boygenius.co.uk/tivo/index.html

Had a chance to look at v1.0 now. Here're a few suggestions for the next version:

* The default SelectIcon-256.10.png (on 2.5.5) doesn't have a transparent background (it shows up as purple in my browser) - have attached a transparent one.
    * The ukgenre.js is an old version - have attached the latest (added .txt so it'd upload)
    * mail.itcl: sends a data changed event after reading messages so that the envelope on the UI goes away.
    * ui.itcl: action_channellist only has the American spelling of favourite:
    Code:
    	   if {$::uktivo} {
    		puts $chan [tr "" [td [html_link "/channellist/3" "Favourite"]]]
    	   } else {
    		puts $chan [tr "" [td [html_link "/channellist/3" "Favorite"]]]
    	   }
    ...should do the trick

More to follow...
    Latest versions of my TiVoWeb modules: Now Playing with Folders and Sort; What's On; Show series conflicts; Showcase; Sky red dot remover etc are here.

Is this the spot for feature requests?

One of the spin-offs of TW was the version which could also serve pages as a WAP server for viewing on mobile phones.

http://members.shaw.ca/iown/tivoweb-wml-beta2.tar.gz

Incorporating that code into TWP would be very nice!
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

WAP version would be very nice indeed.
    Also the png files, are all designed for dark background
    placing them on bright background exposes their edges badly, even if they are made to be transparent.

This is not a complaint, on the contrary, just some constructive criticism to raise the bar even higher for an already great product.
    Arthur
    "One can acquire everything in solitude, except character." - Henri Stendhal

As mentioned on the main Tivoweplus thread, the "screen" module frequently crashes when selecting a program using it while the "Now Playing List" is showing on the TV.

I modified the screen module to maniuplate onscreen moves using a http:\\tivo\sendkey\[direction]\select link instead of a direct call to the sendkey module, as the screen module currently does through the do_move procedure. Its attached.

It rough, but seems to work well. I've used it when the Now Playing list is on my TV to select programs 40 and 50 spots away from the current focused upon program without crashing. I also tested is at 149 down (going to a spot 149 spots away from the current focus) and it hit the exact program without issue. That ALWAYS crashed my system before. Maybe the cache on the web server helps in this regard? No idea, but this works while the current one pretty much always forces a reboot.

Given that I'm as novice a coder as it gets, I'll tell you what I did so you can fix and screwups. I replaced this line (line 135):
    Code:
    puts $chan "<TD>[html_link "/screen/?move=$move" $col(string)]</TD>"
    With this:
    Code:
              set moveval ""
              if { $move == 0} {
                 set moveval {screen/move=0}
              } elseif { $move < 0 } {
                   for {set counter 0} {$counter > $move} {incr counter -1} {
                       set moveval "$moveval/up"
                   }
                   set moveval "sendkey$moveval/select"
              } elseif { $move > 0 } {
                   for {set counter 0} {$counter < $move} {incr counter 1} {
                       set moveval "$moveval/down"
                   }
                   set moveval "sendkey$moveval/select"
              }
              puts $chan "<TD>[html_link "/$moveval" $col(string)]</TD>"
    Instead of setting a call to the "do move" function through "move?=$move" (with $move defining the number of lines to go either up or down), it just adds an html link with apppriate number of "/sendkey/down/down . . ./select" or "/sendkey/up/up . . . /select" in it. Like, for instance:

http:\\tivo\sendkey\down\down\down\down\down\down\down\select

Its a cheap work around, but it does cure the reboot problems for me. This reall helps when I control the Tivo from afar watching programs via the internet. The screen module is usable for me again.

This thread on the Series 1 Support board contains "Hackman," a Tivoweb module to manipulate hacks through Tivoweb. Pretty nice app. It could also be even more useful with a little work (adding applicaitons, making the shell command line more friendly, etc.):

Series 1 Support Forum Thread on "Hackman"

On Tivocommunity.com, there is discussion about another pretty good app, Movie Search. It a module that works with a separate program in the tivoweb-tcl directory to create a sortable movie database in Tivoweb. The thread is here:

Tivocommunity.com Thread on Movie Search Module

I modified the moviesearch.itcl module to add hovertext to the movie titles containing movie descriptions, orig air date and actors. That way, one can view this merely by rolling the mouse over the movie titles rather than having to click on each one. It is attached in a zip file, along with the tcl program that must be used with it.

-------------
    Edit: I added station callsign (e.g., HBO, TBS, etc.) and Director to the hover text.
    Last edited by rpongett; 04-22-2004 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpongett
    This thread on the Series 1 Support board contains "Hackman," a Tivoweb module to manipulate hacks through Tivoweb. Pretty nice app. It could also be even more useful with a little work (adding applicaitons, making the shell command line more friendly, etc.):

Series 1 Support Forum Thread on "Hackman"
    I don't think the shell command line will get any friendlier, although I did explain a way to do multiple commands. As for adding applications, happy to do it. What should I add?

Wait, an afterthought...maybe the shell command will get friendlier...I just had an idea...stay tuned...
    Last edited by PortlandPaw; 04-26-2004 at 05:52 PM.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

A TSR-like module framework

EDIT: Don't use this yet. There's a problem when TW restarts (see thread). I'll post if I find a solution.

In this thread, Riley showed a great way to implement a Tivoweb module that executes periodically in the background:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34290

I guess I would call it a Silent Resident Module (nomenclature needs work). It's a nice way to design a hack because it uses less resources** and has access to all the handles and procs already defined and sourced by tivoweb. It would be nice to also include a framework so as to 'register' the module. You can then have another screen that shows all 'SRM's and the last time they ran. AFAIK, you currently can't determine if a module loaded in this manner is active.

An example app that would be good for this technique is the edittitle app that people use to rename recordings automatically. I also contacted Sanderton to suggest it for his endpad and dailymail hacks. There are probably a lot others.

** I say it uses less resources because I assume this runs in the same interpreter as tivoweb and therefore requires one less tivosh instance.
    Last edited by cojonesdetoro; 04-29-2004 at 10:57 PM.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'