Thread: Newbie hacker

Newbie hacker

I have recently been given a Thompson UK TiVo and have set about upgrading it.

I am very grateful to the many people out there who have put so much time and effort into creating all the software available.

I have so far managed to install a TurboNet card and a second hard disk, but am looking to go further.

I would be grateful for any help or pointers to help on the following:

1. Series

My TiVo says it is software 2.5.5-01-1-023 and kernel 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5.
    Is it a series 1 or 2?

2. Linux tools

Some obvious tools are missing from my TiVo (ls, more etc.) and I fed up of typing echo *. Is there a standard Linux toolset I can install?

3. TiVo tools

What are the obvious TiVo tools to install? So far I have only managed to get TiVoWeb 1.9.4 (only just seen TWP - must install that soon). What else should I install? What are modules? How do I install them?

Is there a beginners guide to the kinds of things that applications do, so that I can better understand the articles that require this knowledge?

4. What is MFS?

I used MFSbackup and MFSadd to install the extra disk, but I think other places refer to MFS running on the TiVo. WHat is MFS?

5. Watch TV

I have read a bit about (but not installed yet) vserver, TyStudio and mplayer. What is the latest set of these?

I really want to watch live (or nearly live - 10s lag would be fine) TV on my PC. Do any of these tools allow me to do this?

Any help with these question, or pointers to places I have missed on the Internet, would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Kopite

actual development belongs in the dev forums, not newbie questions. post moved accordingly
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Update

Sorry for posting in the wrong place and thanks for moving it.

I have answered many of my own questions now, using Steve Jenkins excellent How-To, found from sanderton's great list of docs.

Only thing that I still don't know is what series my TiVo is.

Exclamation

Stand Alone Series 1.

ew