Thread: What tool do you use to burn your DVDs?

What tool do you use to burn your DVDs?

Over the past month I've managed to Sleeper my 2 DT Tivos (HDVR2 and SD-DVR40) and also add TivoWebPlus, MFS-FTP and tserver/tytools).

Thus far I've been using tytool9r13 to cut the 'ty' files, create vobs and create the IFO files. I have used HP's DVD Writer to copy the IFO Files/Dirs to DVD and they have worked for the most part but not always. I have also used NERO to burn my DVDs. But what I'm running into now is I get the menu to come up, I can navigate through the menu options but as soon as I press SELECT/ENTER or PLAY on a menu item the RED color turns to white and nothing plays. I hit MENU again and I can navigate through the menu. But none of the menu items work.

I'd like to know what DVD burning tool other use and/or, what ta heck I'm doing wrong. All I do is go to the directory that tytool created (with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories and such) and copy them to DVD. Like I say, the menu does come up on my DVD player, I can navigate the menu, but can't get anything to play. Any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffpack
    Over the past month I've managed to Sleeper my 2 DT Tivos (HDVR2 and SD-DVR40) and also add TivoWebPlus, MFS-FTP and tserver/tytools).

Thus far I've been using tytool9r13 to cut the 'ty' files, create vobs and create the IFO files. I have used HP's DVD Writer to copy the IFO Files/Dirs to DVD and they have worked for the most part but not always. I have also used NERO to burn my DVDs. But what I'm running into now is I get the menu to come up, I can navigate through the menu options but as soon as I press SELECT/ENTER or PLAY on a menu item the RED color turns to white and nothing plays. I hit MENU again and I can navigate through the menu. But none of the menu items work.

I'd like to know what DVD burning tool other use and/or, what ta heck I'm doing wrong. All I do is go to the directory that tytool created (with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories and such) and copy them to DVD. Like I say, the menu does come up on my DVD player, I can navigate the menu, but can't get anything to play. Any clues?
    It sounds like an incompatability between the menu structure that dvdauthor creates (that is what builds the ifo sets in tytool) and your dvd player. You could multiplex to mpg and import into another dvd authoring tool to build menus but that has its own set of complications or you could buy a dvd player that is known to play the dvdauthor created dvds correctly. In some ways buying the new dvd player is the easier solution in regards to the amount of time spent. (I can earn $100 in far less time than I would spend bashing the dtivo mpeg streams into a more stringent dvd authoring tool and creating dvd menus for the rest of time)
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Since you have nero ImgTool is a good way to burn.

http://www.coujo.de/

It uses the Nero API to burn without you having to do anything but select the directory your titleset is in. HOWEVER

your problem may be with your DVD player. Instead of using the arrow keys to select just use 1 to select the first menu option 2 for the second and so on.
    Otherwise to a search in the tytools thread.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    It sounds like an incompatability between the menu structure that dvdauthor creates (that is what builds the ifo sets in tytool) and your dvd player. You could multiplex to mpg and import into another dvd authoring tool to build menus but that has its own set of complications or you could buy a dvd player that is known to play the dvdauthor created dvds correctly. In some ways buying the new dvd player is the easier solution in regards to the amount of time spent. (I can earn $100 in far less time than I would spend bashing the dtivo mpeg streams into a more stringent dvd authoring tool and creating dvd menus for the rest of time)
    As far as a DVD player goes, I've tried it on a old Panasonic, dosn't work. A new Sony 5 disc player, dosn't work. Even on my PC these don't work. But they have in the past. I'm thinking now it may be due to my burner...BTW, a HP dvd300e. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

EDIT: Also, I've tried both +r and -r discs.

If your burning program has a switch for "DVD Video", make sure it's enabled. Use UDF, if that's an option -- preferably 1.02, IIRC.

I build the disc image with mkisofs (with the "--dvd-video" option -- it doesn't work nearly as well without that), with the output piped to cdrecord-prodvd for the actual burning. Of course this is under Linux.

Most of the playback problems with tyDVDs are related to one or more of the following:

1. Inability to play recordable DVD formats - this applies to players older than a few years as virtually all current players can play either -R/RW or +R/RW discs and sometimes both.

2. Doesn't like 480X480 resolution - this is only an issue with tyDVDs made from a DTivo and again is applicable mostly to older players. 480-X480 is the SVCD standard resolution and most current models can play SVCDs fine and therefore have no problem with tyDVDs at this resolution.

3. Doesn't like mpeg layer II audio - this is a non-standard audio format for DVDs but most current models have no problems with it.

4. Problems with your burning software - this requires some experimentation to find the right format to burn your discs in. I use an older version of Nero and I use the UDF/ISO format and my tyDVDs play back in every player I've tried with no problems. The DVD-Video option was less than successful when tested in the same players. Newer versions of Nero have an X-Box compatibilty option and probably a few other settings that differ from my version that need to be addressed.

The bottom line is that if your player doesn't like your tyDVDs then it's probably your player. Prices have dropped through the floor and an inexpensive player capable of playing tyDVDs with no problems can be had for less than $50.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Update your nero. Use the imgtool program to burn (D/L the version that works with your version of Nero). Then burn. That will determine if the problem is with the way you're burning.