Thread: Addition for XPlusz Command's?

Addition for XPlusz Command's?

I was wondering if anybody has thought of developing a command for maybe the next version of Xplusz commands that would put the hard drive in a Tivo to sleep when not in use.....is there a reason why this has not been done yet?........I just don't see the sense in having a hard drive run non stop until it fries......anybody have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by drumcrazd
    I was wondering if anybody has thought of developing a command for maybe the next version of Xplusz commands that would put the hard drive in a Tivo to sleep when not in use.....is there a reason why this has not been done yet?........I just don't see the sense in having a hard drive run non stop until it fries......anybody have any thoughts on this?
    The tivo drive is constantly in use. The current channel is always being written to disk, thats how the live buffer works.

EDIT: Also, even if you could stop it, its probably better to run it 24/7 than run it a few hours then stop a few minutes and run a few hours. More failures happen on spin-down/spin-up than happen with constant running. This experience is based on what I see in the datacenter where we run drives 24/7. The drives will go for years (literally) and then on powerdown just never start up again.
    Last edited by malfunct; 04-14-2004 at 08:18 PM.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

The drives will go for years (literally) and then on powerdown just never start up again.
    I second that. We recently took down a machine that had been running for more than a year. My boss pulled the drive to do a Ghost backup (it was a Win2k machine) for archival purposes. Sadly, when power was applied the drive merely made that lovely ka-chunk sound. The moral of the story is that constantly running the drive isn't necessarily a bad thing.