Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Series2 OSD

Has anyone had any luck with any OSD apps running 7.2.2 on a Series2.5. I've been trying to get libosd running, but it I get a Segmentation Fault whenever I touch the buffer. ADH's updated tivovbi is supposed to run on a S2.5, but I've had no joy with it either (on 7.2.2b OS at least).

I've had a chance to play with ADH's tivovbi fork, and have made some progress. To be honest I'm not sure I understand half of whats going on in this code (I'm just a noob hacker), but I'm not afraid to make changes, recompile, and see what happens.

After looking at an strace of osdwriter and of tivovbi, I notice the following:

osdwriter:
    old_mmap(NULL, 1384448, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 10, 0x1bc4000) = 0x2ac9c000

tivovbi:
    old_mmap(NULL, 1382400, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 3, 0x1bc4800) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

So, I'm assuming that the buffer is not being mapped correctly or is misaligned. Looking at the source, ADH uses and offset for S2, but not for S2.5. I haven't figure out how ADH determined the offset value yet, but being fearless, I changed:
    surf->bufptr = mmap(NULL, surf->xbytes * surf->ysize, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, bcmfd, (int)surf->bufptr);
    To:
    surf->bufptr = mmap(NULL, surf->xbytes * surf->ysize, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, bcmfd, (int)surf->bufptr - 0x800);

This has fixed the segmentation fault error and the sample is now running. It is not correct, because when I write to the screen it the text starts about 1/3 the way over and wraps back to the left and I cannot write all the way to the bottom. It is worth noting that using text2osd and osdwriter on my s2.5 corrupts other screen objects. After I run either command I must go into TivoCentral twice to fix the screen. Using tivovbi, I do not see the same ghosting effects, so this code is the way to go!

Once the tivovbi has been fixed, it doesn't look like it will be too difficult to apply the updates to libosd, so we should be able to get most of the tools running on all platforms.

So, if anyone that understands this stuff better than me gets some time to look over this and offer some education, I will give it a try on my development unit and maybe we can get this stuff ported to the S2.5.

Thanks everyone for this great site and Happy Holidays.

This thread, though old, may still be of interest to people trying to get caller ID on their TVs. It is to me, anyway.

I have two questions:

1) Has there been any progress in getting YAC to work on a Series 2 beyond what is reported in this thread and

2) This is a very complex and convoluted thread. Could someone explain just what files go where and what commands, exports, paths, etc. need to be set to make YAC work as described?

As always, in advance, I appreciate your help.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Hi David -
    There's a stable version of elseed at http://www.bah.org/tivo/
    and of yac at http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/.
    I believe that the only requirement for either is that you have libfreetype.so.6 in /lib.
    For OSD, there's text2osd (which should already be in /tvbin), newtext2osd (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=19) and out2osd, which comes with ncid. I've been researching these as I finish up a replacement for "Displaytext" for TWP. I'm also hoping to bring together all of the elseed patches into one superpatched version.

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandPaw View Post
    This thread, though old, may still be of interest to people trying to get caller ID on their TVs. It is to me, anyway.

I have two questions:

1) Has there been any progress in getting YAC to work on a Series 2 beyond what is reported in this thread and

2) This is a very complex and convoluted thread. Could someone explain just what files go where and what commands, exports, paths, etc. need to be set to make YAC work as described?

As always, in advance, I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by djl; 01-12-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: can't spell...
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Thanks, dj, that gets me closer. But (despite information to the contrary on the sunflowerhead website) I believe this YAC version is ppc only; it throws the cannot execute binary file error.

So I went back to the YAC here and it loads OK, but returns a Segmentation fault error when it's called by an incoming phone call.

Any suggestions gladly accepted!

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

Oddly enough, I think I'm using the version in the earlier post. Make sure you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set. What are you using as your CID server? I have elseed on one Tivo broadcasting to my other Tivo, which uses the YAC listener to output to screen. Works well.

Thanks, dj, that gets me closer. But (despite information to the contrary on the sunflowerhead website) I believe this YAC version is ppc only; it throws the cannot execute binary file error.

So I went back to the YAC here and it loads OK, but returns a Segmentation fault error when it's called by an incoming phone call.

Any suggestions gladly accepted!
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

I gave up and went to tivocid instead. Works fine, but I do have to have a phone line connected, which shouldn't be a problem given the workarounds to avoid updates.

Interestingly, the package includes yac2ncid which should pick up the YAC messages coming in over the network from my computer, but I couldn't get it to work. It requires nc (netcat) which I got from AlphaWolf, but still no go.

If anybody has gotten yac2ncid to work, I'm curious how to make it happen.

Interestingly, the package includes yac2ncid which should pick up the YAC messages coming in over the network from my computer, but I couldn't get it to work. It requires nc (netcat) which I got from AlphaWolf, but still no go.

If anybody has gotten yac2ncid to work, I'm curious how to make it happen.
    Any particular error or problem you are getting with yac2ncid?

It does work on my S2 Dtivo and was reported to work elsewhere. Remember that YAC (unlike NCID) uses a "server push" model, so you need to configure your YAC server with IP of the box where yac2ncid is running

-HH

I'm getting a "file not found" error on load. The YAC server on my computer has the target S2 Dtivo IP among the listeners, but I don't think it's being received properly. What files beside nc and ncid are needed?

Is the DTivo in question "zippered" or manually set up?

Can you post here or PM me:

* Where you start yac2ncid from
    * Contents of the config file
    * and exact cut-and-paste of the output

"file not found" seems to indicate to me that something is not configured right, something is in the wrong dir, or something like that - i.e. should be easily fixable.

-HH

It is a zippered drive -- not my preference, but I figured I'd better understand how most of the non-HD DTivos are set up these days.

I played around with the config files and AlphaWolf's busybox/nc until all loaded without error. Then when I tested it, the screen displayed " Poll device hung up" and the time. Debug output follows. Of concern is the "no config file," as there is one in the location specified. The alias file is a part of the zipper distribution, symlinked.
    Code:
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/bin/ncid --program /var/DRH/hack/share/ncid/ncid-yac &
    [1] 464
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/sbin/yac2ncid &
    [2] 469
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/sbin/ncidd -D -C /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncidd.conf
    Started: 01/16/2008 02:02
    Server: ncidd 0.69
    No config file: /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncidd.conf
    Processed alias file: /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
    Verbose level: 1
    Modem initialized.
    Modem set for CallerID.
    Network Port: 3333
    Wrote pid 488 in pidfile: /var/run/ncidd.pid
    localhost: forward host lookup failed:
    Fatal: Poll device hung up
    Removed pidfile: /var/run/ncidd.pid
    Terminated:  01/16/2008 02:02
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# localhost: forward host lookup failed:
    I'm not too worried about this, as I have the non-YAC ncid working, but it is a puzzlement and maybe others are trying to get this to work.

It is a zippered drive -- not my preference, but I figured I'd better understand how most of the non-HD DTivos are set up these days.
    Well, as far as I know "zipper" installs busybox that has nc, so you should not need to add anything. But it sounds like it is no longer an issue anyway

I played around with the config files and AlphaWolf's busybox/nc until all loaded without error. Then when I tested it, the screen displayed " Poll device hung up" and the time. Debug output follows. Of concern is the "no config file," as there is one in the location specified. The alias file is a part of the zipper distribution, symlinked.
    From output you posted it seems like you are not having problem with yac2ncid but with ncidd server itself. But you are saying that ncid server works, which confuses me a bit.

As far as conf file, I would try moving the config file to "/var/hack/etc/ncid/" as I seem to recall that ncid is unfortunately partial to paths hardcoded at build time :-(

Once you get ncidd running, make sure yac2ncid.conf is configured correctly. Then kill yac2ncid if it is running and try starting it with "-v" flag.

When you send a test message from you should see something like:

Code:
    Tivo# ./yac2ncid -v
    yac2ncid: Enabling verbose mode due to command line option
    yac2ncid: Auto-detecting the netcat type
    yac2ncid: Detected BusyBox version of netcat
    yac2ncid: Using BusyBox settings...
    yac2ncid: Listening for new connections
    yac2ncid: Got a message
    See if you get a "Got a message" line once you send something from yac server - that means yac message was delivered to yac2ncid and also see if you get any errors after that that indicate what is not working - you can use Ctrl-C to abort yac2ncid after testing and run it normally after you are done

-HH

Code:
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/bin/ncid --program /var/DRH/hack/share/ncid/ncid-yac &
    [1] 464
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/sbin/yac2ncid &
    [2] 469
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# /var/DRH/hack/sbin/ncidd -D -C /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncidd.conf
    Started: 01/16/2008 02:02
    Server: ncidd 0.69
    No config file: /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncidd.conf
    Processed alias file: /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
    Verbose level: 1
    Modem initialized.
    Modem set for CallerID.
    Network Port: 3333
    Wrote pid 488 in pidfile: /var/run/ncidd.pid
    localhost: forward host lookup failed:
    Fatal: Poll device hung up
    Removed pidfile: /var/run/ncidd.pid
    Terminated:  01/16/2008 02:02
    [Living Room S2]...[/]-# localhost: forward host lookup failed:
    I'm not too worried about this, as I have the non-YAC ncid working, but it is a puzzlement and maybe others are trying to get this to work.
    I have some comments on your output::

You should always start ncidd first, and then the gateway (yac2ncid) and client (tivocid). You do not need to start ncid-yac unless ncidd gets the Caller ID directly from your modem and you want to send it to YAC clients.

The Fatal line indicates the modem disconnected. If ncidd detects that the modem disconnected, it terminates because it can no longer obtain Caller ID.

The localhost line is a kernel message, not a NCID message. It was sent to your terminal.

NCID indicated that the configuration file was not /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncidd.conf. Most likely it is a typo and it should really be /var/DRH/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.conf
    John

That was a typo -- and probably most of the problem, but it's not solved yet. I thought I had it until I realized I still had the phone cord plugged into the TiVo and it was picking up the cid through the modem. I disconnected it and when the phone rings I get:
    Code:
    [Living Room S2]...[/var/DRH/hack/bin]-# localhost: forward host lookup failed:
    Then I get
    Code:
    Can't grab 0.0.0.0:10629 with bind
    when I run yac2ncid -v[/code]

The localhost lookup problem seems like it is a problem with your /etc/hosts file. My series2 hosts file looks like this:
    Code:
    # Copyright (c) 2001 TiVo Inc.
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    If you do not have localhost line add it. If you are missing /etc/hosts, create one with the line. If that does not fix the problem, post the output of ifconfig. It should show your local loopback address as well as your IP address.
    John