Thread: Telnet General Issue

Telnet General Issue

Seems that every instance of telnet on here seems like it double enters, when I hit the enter key at the end of a commnd it gives me two location lines after, this is really a pain when I try to install something expecially using TPM.

It doesn't happen on my laptop.

Thanks Again

DK

What program are you using? If putty check out this:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...10&postcount=9

Agreed. If it happens on one machine and not another its probably your client. For telnet I like to use the command line versions built on the operating system.
    As mark Twain once said:
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are an idi0t than to open it and remove all doubt."

try this command:
    stty -echo

The telnet program your using is echoing back characters but most modern communications assume that the remote host is the one to echo back characters. I think this was a kludge from the old days when interactive sessions where a lot slower.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

I Found

I have found that the easiest to use is telnet built into windows. This is the program that is doing that for me, But also any other telnet program that I use has been doing this for me. Only on this machine though. Thought that was and odd problem.

Thanks

DK

I'm having the same problem on my SD-DVR 40 running 4.0.1-01-2-240 (2.4.18 kernel). I'm using AW's Tivotools.tar collection. I didn't have the problem when I was running on my previous sleeper setup. I'm using the WinXP CLI telnet program. The issue isn't echo related, because my terminal is really sending two linefeeds. Anyone else have an idea what setting I should change? (I'm a bash newbie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beanpoppa
    I'm having the same problem on my SD-DVR 40 running 4.0.1-01-2-240 (2.4.18 kernel). I'm using AW's Tivotools.tar collection. I didn't have the problem when I was running on my previous sleeper setup. I'm using the WinXP CLI telnet program. The issue isn't echo related, because my terminal is really sending two linefeeds. Anyone else have an idea what setting I should change? (I'm a bash newbie)

Thanks
    It's not a Tivo setting as previosly stated. It's a client issue. You will need to use a different telnet client.

Thanks
    This is what I had to do for Windows XP CLI telnet:
    Code:
    C:/>telnet
    Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is 'CTRL+]'

Microsoft Telnet> unset crlf
    Line feed mode - Causes return key to send CR
    Microsoft Telnet> o tivo
    Connecting To tivo...
    This is sticky...you don't have to do it every time.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    This is what I had to do for Windows XP CLI telnet:
    Thanks, eastwind! That did it! I thought I was going to be stuck using hyperterm. I guess the default tty settings for the sleeper'd setup expects the full cr/lf.

Thanks, eastwind! That did it! I thought I was going to be stuck using hyperterm. I guess the default tty settings for the sleeper'd setup expects the full cr/lf.
    ditto on the Thanks

I recently had my 2 SAT T60 hd's go out and so I've been re-learning everything, but the "echo" was a new problem that I never had before.
    Scott

SAT-T60 Ver 3.5

Using Window 7

I am experiencing the same problem as oldbenkenobi on 12-04-2004. He last logged on to say he found a solution, but didn't share it. I've searched for him, I've searched for what he might have discovered, all to no avail. This forum is "Telnet General Question" so I think you are good folks to ask:

Attempting to TELNET...
    from a command prompt, I enter
    telnet 192.168.0.9 21

display returns:
    220 You are in TiVo Mode.
    220 Login isn't necessary.
    220 Please hit ENTER at the login/password prompts/

The TELNET application hangs. I've tried using Hyperterminal with the same results.

I realize port 21 is FTP. However, when I attempt to connect on port 23 I receive:
    Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connection failed.

What am I missing to get a bash prompt? tserver is on the tivo as I am using tytools to download .ty files with no difficulty. However, if I use tytools to start tserver, I get the message: "Teleneting to the Tivo. . . Connecting to '192.168.1.9' . . . ERROR. Failed to Connect!"

The server is located at /var/hack/tserver_mfs7 on the tivo. Please refer me to a more appropriate place to post if this is not it.
    Many thanks!
    Last edited by AKLeeAnn; 09-03-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLeeAnn View Post
    Using Window 7

I am experiencing the same problem as oldbenkenobi on 12-04-2004. He last logged on to say he found a solution, but didn't share it. I've searched for him, I've searched for what he might have discovered, all to no avail. This forum is "Telnet General Question" so I think you are good folks to ask:

Attempting to TELNET...
    from a command prompt, I enter
    telnet 192.168.0.9 21

display returns:
    220 You are in TiVo Mode.
    220 Login isn't necessary.
    220 Please hit ENTER at the login/password prompts/

The TELNET application hangs. I've tried using Hyperterminal with the same results.

I realize port 21 is FTP. However, when I attempt to connect on port 23 I receive:
    Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connection failed.

What am I missing to get a bash prompt? tserver is on the tivo as I am using tytools to download .ty files with no difficulty. However, if I use tytools to start tserver, I get the message: "Teleneting to the Tivo. . . Connecting to '192.168.1.9' . . . ERROR. Failed to Connect!"

The server is located at /var/hack/tserver_mfs7 on the tivo. Please refer me to a more appropriate place to post if this is not it.
    Many thanks!
    Need more details. What Tivo S/W version? How is telnet (and bash) started in your Tivo startup scripts?
    Looks like Tytools is connecting to your TiVo at IP 192.168.1.9, yet you're telnetting to 192.168.0.9.
    HDVR2: 300Gb HD, v6.4a, USB 2.0 backport network drivers, HMO/HME SuperPatched, mfs_ftp/MovieLoader v1.3
    THR22-200 HDTivo, DirecTV HR24-200 and DirecTV HR22-100