Thread: Easy Hard Drive Upgrade for UTV

Easy Hard Drive Upgrade for UTV

Folks, to update your UTV is really easy. To do this, DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT MSN DIAL NUMBER, USE YOUR OWN ISP NUMBER.

To do this, you will need two things.
    1) New hard drive that has never been used or inserted into a pc. Just buy one from Best Buy, CompUSA, Axiontech, etc...doesn't really matter. I used a 160gig Western Digital UDMA 133.
    2) A dial up account with a local internet provider.

Steps involved:

1) Turn off UTV, remove your Access card, remove three screws in the back and flip the lid forward. Unplug your hard drive and remove the four screws that hold the hard drive case to the board. Remove the three screws that hold the hard drive in the hard drive case.

2) Make sure you look at your hard drive and have it configured as Master. In the case of my Western Digital, remove the jumper. Insert hard drive back into system, connect hard drive cable and power cable, close case. Put back screws, insert access card.

3) ***DISCONNECT TELEPHONE LINE FROM UTV*****
    4) turn on power to UTV. It will try to connect then come up with a new menu. With the menu, it will ask you if you want to use MSN or your own ISP. Use your own isp. Just enter the information for your local internet provider and save that information.
    5) Now plug the telephone line back into your UTV. It might try to dial out, then your system might reboot. THATS OK!!! The next time it will say connecting to MSN network, then it should say the name of your ISP it is trying to connect too.
    6) once it connects to your isp, it will say new software needs to be installed. Select ok and just wait. It will say there are like 247 blocks. Just give it time and it will work.

7) WARNING. IF YOU DO NOT USE YOUR OWN ISP AND YOU USE MSN, IT WILL DISCONNECT AND NOT WORK. I TRIED FOR THREE DAYS. THATS WHY YOU NEED TO USE YOUR OWN LOCAL INTERNET PROVIDER..

8) Took around 2 hours and my system was back up. When it comes back up, if you have local channels, they might be missing. Just call up Directv and tell them your locals are missing. I told them I replaced my hard drive because the original failed. The said "Cool", and reset my local channels.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Here is the short version.

1) remove old hard drive from UTV
    2) insert new hard drive.
    3) remove telephone cable
    4) turn on UTV
    5) enter your own local internet provider and save and make sure you select to use your own internet provider, not MSN.
    6) plug in telephone line
    7) connect and your system might reboot on its own
    8) reconnect, will say MSN, then your ISP.
    9) Agree to software update
    10) wait 2+ hours
    11) When done, if no locals, call DTV and tell them your locals are not working
    12) Enjoy the larger drive and newest version of UTV. IT ROCKS!

IT'S EASY AS PIE. IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS, and your in Houston, I'll help you out. Or, if your afraid to do this, just email me. We can setup shipping and I'll do it for you. I'm a software developer and Director of I.T. for a large, multi-location company in Houston. No problem helping.

I do not do any illegal warez nor DTV hacking, so don't ask! I'll only install a larger drive for you.

tracy@quibbly.com
    Last edited by quibbly; 04-19-2004 at 08:44 AM.

it cant be that easy, you dont need to load anything on the drive before installing it in the UTV???

Quote Originally Posted by sl-100
    it cant be that easy, you dont need to load anything on the drive before installing it in the UTV???
    No, you don't.

what it a good size drive to put in? my ultimatetv only has 35 hours now. I have never opened it before, and dont want to trash it.

Local Channels

Quote Originally Posted by quibbly
    Took around 2 hours and my system was back up. When it comes back up, if you have local channels, they might be missing. Just call up Directv and tell them your locals are missing. I told them I replaced my hard drive because the original failed. The said "Cool", and reset my local channels.

tracy@quibbly.com
    FYI, I replaced my HD and the local channels were missing at first. Waited overnight, and I believe the channel guide updated itself, and then locals were back. I did not make any calls to DTV.

JW

How do you do it with broadband i have a cable modem?

Hard Drive Type

I have a maxtor 160 gig hard drive that has never been used will it work for the upgrade on my Ultimate TV box or do I need to use a certain brand and model of HDD?

Thanks,

Joe