Page 43 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: EtiVo: Automatic Re-encoding and catalogging of TiVo shows - 1.0.1924.0

Quote Originally Posted by blueman2
    Yes, but that command has a dependency on "setsarcasm hi" command, doesn't it?

It is not a critical issue at all, really. I just want the ability to have my systems' response time impacted as little as possible when running the encoder. Apparently, I must have some other processes running at below normal as well, or it would not matter. Just a thought for some later release.
    Well.. Actually.. When set to below-normal, EtiVo's encodings will fight for CPU time only with other below-normal processes like you said (there is maybe one you will see on a normal system which uses this priority) and with normal-priority processes that have idle-threads. That shouldn't be a problem. But I can add this setting. It's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbalm
    Anyone seen a problem like this?

I can fetch shows with no problems at all. The first time after a restart of services it will encode fine.

The problem is that if I later decide to fetch a show, I need to restart the services. Otherwise what happens is that it will fetch the show fine, but when the status changes to Encoding the completed stays at N/A and nothing happens until I restart the services again.
    2 questions:
    1. Did you touch a setting called encoderClass? In you EtiVoSrv.Exe.Config file, what does that setting say?
    2. Does encoding twice with the WME application work?

Legacy files?

Is there any way of to convert legacy (before my install) ty files?

What I do is manually create a wmv with Windows Media Encoder. Next, copy the XML file from another show and make changes inside it to reflect the show name, etc... It takes a little time to find the parts of the XML that are relevant, but they are not that hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by finer
    Is there any way of to convert legacy (before my install) ty files?
    Do you know if a TY file contains the MfsFtp "xml" in it? If so, I may be able to do something, but it wont be anytime soon. Too many things on my plate as it is. That said, somebody, by using EtiVo with Command-line encoding may be able to do something that will automate the process.

It is my understanding that a plain TY file does not have the XML data in it while TY+ and TMF files do have the xml data.

mfs_ftp extracted .ty files have the XML in them.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    mfs_ftp extracted .ty files have the XML in them.
    So there you go. All the util needs to do is:

1. Extract the file and call it ShowInfo.xml.
    2. Create a directory under the proper master direcotry called by the same name as the TY and extensioned with .show
    3. Use EtiVoSrv.exe with the proper command line to reencode.
    EtiVoSrv.exe -s:<source file> -t:<target file>
    4. Restart EtiVo.

Thats hould be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Masnark

2 questions:
    1. Did you touch a setting called encoderClass? In you EtiVoSrv.Exe.Config file, what does that setting say?
    2. Does encoding twice with the WME application work?

2 Answers:
    1. Didn't touch it and this is was it says
    <add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.OutOfProcEncoder"/>

2. No encoding twice does not work. I did the following to try the encoding twice
    - Open WME and using the templete WmvLow.wme then under compression choose the option to encode twice. (also tried it with the template)

- It gets through te first pass fine, but about 42% it hangs. the funny thing also is that sound meter novers moves during the 2nd pass of the encoding.

2 Answers:
    1. Didn't touch it and this is was it says
    <add key="encoderClass" value="EtiVo.Service.OutOfProcEncoder"/>

2. No encoding twice does not work. I did the following to try the encoding twice
    - Open WME and using the templete WmvLow.wme then under compression choose the option to encode twice. (also tried it with the template)

- It gets through te first pass fine, but about 42% it hangs. the funny thing also is that sound meter novers moves during the 2nd pass of the encoding.
    Do you mean 2-pass encoding?

As it says at the top post, 2-pass encoding is currently not supported because of TY-Show limitations. Once d7o fixes that (he said he's working on it), you will be able to do that.

I've turned off AutoTivo since it was encoding far more than I wanted it to. (40+ Season Passes here!) But of course manual queuing is unwieldy too, especially if you're traveling for a bit, and would like updated shows to watch as soon as EtiVo has grabbed and processed your shows. (Indeed, manual queuing necessitates some "plan ahead.")

So I checked out the includeList and ExcludeList parameters. Just reading the explanation on the website, it seems like it would work best for me ... but now I'm confused about it's implementation.

I would like to designate which of my SP's that EtiVo will process and which it will ignore, but it would be nice if I could also go to the Manual Queuing page and override that setting on an episode-by-episode basis. For example, set EtiVo to ignore my weekly recording of SNL... but oh, there's one still on my TiVo from last week that had some funny bits, so I'd like to have EtiVo extract and encode that one for my cousin overseas.

I don't see how I could do that with the current implementation.

If I manually type in all of the show names of the SP's for EtiVo to include, it is blind to all others and cannot record them, "not manually and not through EtiVo." If I manually type in all of the show names of the SP's for EtiVo to EXCLUDE, it is also blind to them and you can't record them, "not manually and not through EtiVo." How about making the include/exclude list just refer to the AutoTiVo queue, but still allow all shows to appear in the Manual Queue list for individualized choosing?

While we're on the subject, I'd love to be able to cancel/remove an item from the Queue.

I'd also like a way to delete shows from the EtiVoWeb interface as well as a way to start/stop the server (with password request?)

Masnark, you've done some really great work with EtiVo and I'm really thankful you're sharing it with the community.
    Last edited by Fofer; 10-13-2004 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I've turned off AutoTivo since it was encoding far more than I wanted it to. (40+ Season Passes here!) But of course manual queuing is unwieldy too, especially if you're traveling for a bit, and would like updated shows to watch as soon as EtiVo has grabbed and processed your shows. (Indeed, manual queuing necessitates some "plan ahead.")

So I checked out the includeList and ExcludeList parameters. Just reading the explanation on the website, it seems like it would work best for me ... but now I'm confused about it's implementation.

I would like to designate which of my SP's that EtiVo will process and which it will ignore, but it would be nice if I could also go to the Manual Queuing page and override that setting on an episode-by-episode basis. For example, set EtiVo to ignore my weekly recording of SNL... but oh, there's one still on my TiVo from last week that had some funny bits, so I'd like to have EtiVo extract and encode that one for my cousin overseas.

I don't see how I could do that with the current implementation.

If I manually type in all of the show names of the SP's for EtiVo to include, it is blind to all others and cannot record them, "not manually and not through EtiVo." If I manually type in all of the show names of the SP's for EtiVo to EXCLUDE, it is also blind to them and you can't record them, "not manually and not through EtiVo." How about making the include/exclude list just refer to the AutoTiVo queue, but still allow all shows to appear in the Manual Queue list for individualized choosing?

While we're on the subject, I'd love to be able to cancel/remove an item from the Queue.

I'd also like a way to delete shows from the EtiVoWeb interface as well as a way to start/stop the server (with password request?)

Masnark, you've done some really great work with EtiVo and I'm really thankful you're sharing it with the community.
    Okay...

RE: Include/Exclude list
    They work as you describe. They are there as a band-aid and they are so that you would be able to make EtiVo blind to some shows that are not real shows (such as the sync events). Some people use them to limit AutoTivo, but there are obviously disadvantages to that.

RE: Manual enqueuing being unwieldly
    I am going to make a small improvement in the next release to this, where you would be able to at least search for a show and then have a smaller list to choose from. At a later release, you will have a catalog-like UI for the Manual Queuing.

RE: AutoTiVo settings
    I am about 50% into this feature now. It will allow you to specify exactly what you want to record and a few other things as well. Next release.

RE: Deleting shows
    Already implemented and working. Will be on the next release.

RE: Starting/Stopping the service.
    There's a page that does that, although it's not clear about it. If access EtiVoWeb when it's down, it will give you a page allowing you to try and start the service (there's a link at the bottom). This page, when navigated to when EtiVo *IS* active, will still say EtiVo is down, but will give you the ability to shut EtiVo down with the link. As for password request, you can set ACLs on the ASP page that does the shut down/power up (just look at the link) and it will require a specific user to work.

Do you mean 2-pass encoding?

As it says at the top post, 2-pass encoding is currently not supported because of TY-Show limitations. Once d7o fixes that (he said he's working on it), you will be able to do that.

Yeah I remember reading that, but you asked me if Does encoding twice with the WME application work. I thought that is what you wanted me to try.

Since it doesn't sound like that was what you are asking then how should I go about testing encoding twice with the WME application work?
    Last edited by badgerbalm; 10-13-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Yeah I remember reading that, but you asked me if Does encoding twice with the WME application work. I thought that is what you wanted me to try.

Since it does sound like that was what you are asking then how do you do Does encoding twice with the WME application work?
    So just to be clear, I meant running an encoding twice in WME. Nothing with 2-pass encoding.

What you should do is just run the WME application, and start encoding one file (no 2 pass encoding). Then, once that's done, change it so that you encode different source and target files. W/o exiting the WME application. And tell me if that works.

My guess it will, but I just want to rule out any weirdness on that end.
    Last edited by Masnark; 10-13-2004 at 04:48 PM.

I had a consistent problem with EtiVo only presenting me with ~33 minutes of each show, regardless of their original length. Now that I've had time to experiment and use the advice of others... maybe my notes can help others that may be in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman2
    There may be two probelms. The one I had was with the tyshow filter used by Windows Media Player to play .ty files. See post #567 in this thread. It resolved the issue for me. You can tell if you have this problem by downloading the ty file and playing it on WMP. If it stops where it died while encoding, then the new filter will solve the issue.

If, as you say above, it plays fine with WMP through the entire movie, but stops while encoding, then it may be an issue with mfs_stream. I did not have this problem, so did not research it.
    Okay, so I downloaded a ty file (1 hour long show) with my FTP client, and then tried to play it with WMP... the video ended at the same 33 minute mark. I then installed the new tysplitter filter as recommended... but the problem still remained. The new filter did not solve the issue.

I then installed a new binary of mfs_stream into /var/mfs_ftp/ on my TiVo (referenced by jbolter in post 515) -- restarted mfs_ftp as well as EtiVo ... and after one successful extraction/encoding, I see that (for the first time) I'm able to view an entire hour long show.

I guess for some it's a playback issue, for others it's an extraction issue, and I'm not sure, but in my case, it may have been a combination of the two.

Thanks everyone.

What you should do is just run the WME application, and start encoding one file (no 2 pass encoding). Then, once that's done, change it so that you encode different source and target files. W/o exiting the WME application. And tell me if that works.

My guess it will, but I just want to rule out any weirdness on that end.

Just as you expected, everything worked fine. I even for the heck of it had it encode 3 shows with no problems.