Thread: tivo hack for dummies

tivo hack for dummies

is there some sort of instuction manual for hacking tivo for dummies?

i just got my tivo series 2, and want to pull show and movies off onto my computer to then burn to dvd/cd.

i have read through a lot of the feeds here, and really dont understand much of what is written.

please help.

thanks

There is actually a Tivo hacking book. I havn't read it, so I don't know who the target audience might be.

I suggest you start in the Series 2 hacking forum, especially the Sleeper ISO thread. Might also want to check out the Newbie Tivo forum

Everything you read is going to assume you have some level of computer competencies such as
    - know how to burn a CD, boot your computer using the CD
    - comfortable with taking cases off Tivo/PC, remove hard drive
    - understand and can connect hard drives to the proper connectors in your computer
    - able to get around in DOS/Linux
    - ability to read/understand/carry-out instructions successfully

If you are not comfortable with any of the above, then there are people who sell pre-hacked drives, and/or will do the hacks for you. Start with the forum sponsors shown in the banner.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as ikugelman. Where do I find a guide that starts from the ground floor(DTivo series 2)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waruwaru
    There is actually a Tivo hacking book. I havn't read it, so I don't know who the target audience might be.

I suggest you start in the Series 2 hacking forum, especially the Sleeper ISO thread. Might also want to check out the Newbie Tivo forum

Everything you read is going to assume you have some level of computer competencies such as
    - know how to burn a CD, boot your computer using the CD
    - comfortable with taking cases off Tivo/PC, remove hard drive
    - understand and can connect hard drives to the proper connectors in your computer
    - able to get around in DOS/Linux
    - ability to read/understand/carry-out instructions successfully

If you are not comfortable with any of the above, then there are people who sell pre-hacked drives, and/or will do the hacks for you. Start with the forum sponsors shown in the banner.
    Waruwaru,
    How can I read a book you don't even know who authored and if you hadn't noticed,we are in the newb forum. I've read Sleepers ISO and understand that I would probably opt for the monte and like the concept of learning as I go. I do understand that it's best to start with a new drive and somehow transfer your original image to it but there is no metion of exactly how. I've also read numerous posts but most pretty much seem to be over my head at this point since I havn't used DOS in a long time and have no experience with Linux (which will hopefully change). I've meet all the criteria you listed except being a linux programmer....The banner ad only wants to sell me a larger drive for my Philips DSR704. No hacks and not very reasonably priced if you consider what the drives themselves sell for. What us newb's need is an informative basic guide that actually would help eliminate a lot of the newb's questions and frustrations since were trying to learn and do this ourselves rather than buying something previously hacked which seems to piss off a lot of the "elder" members. Do we really need to read every damn thread just to learn the basics? I think not. Yes it is important that newb's use the search engine but it should not be the newb's only resource vs asking redundant questions in the forums. I used a basic guide that was kindly provided (Abit's forums) when I started with PC's and in no time was able to expand my knowledge base and later help newb's with their questions. I would like to be able to do the same here. Will I be able to? We'll have to wait and see.....

Quote Originally Posted by CustomPCz
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as ikugelman. Where do I find a guide that starts from the ground floor(DTivo series 2)?
    Waruwaru,
    How can I read a book you don't even know who authored and if you hadn't noticed,we are in the newb forum. I've read Sleepers ISO and understand that I would probably opt for the monte and like the concept of learning as I go. I do understand that it's best to start with a new drive and somehow transfer your original image to it but there is no metion of exactly how. I've also read numerous posts but most pretty much seem to be over my head at this point since I havn't used DOS in a long time and have no experience with Linux (which will hopefully change). I've meet all the criteria you listed except being a linux programmer....The banner ad only wants to sell me a larger drive for my Philips DSR704. No hacks and not very reasonably priced if you consider what the drives themselves sell for. What us newb's need is an informative basic guide that actually would help eliminate a lot of the newb's questions and frustrations since were trying to learn and do this ourselves rather than buying something previously hacked which seems to piss off a lot of the "elder" members. Do we really need to read every damn thread just to learn the basics? I think not. Yes it is important that newb's use the search engine but it should not be the newb's only resource vs asking redundant questions in the forums. I used a basic guide that was kindly provided (Abit's forums) when I started with PC's and in no time was able to expand my knowledge base and later help newb's with their questions. I would like to be able to do the same here. Will I be able to? We'll have to wait and see.....
    If you read the main thread mentioned you will find that it shows pretty much step by step how to use the ISO to upgrade to a larger drive and at the same time monte the tivo and install a few common hacks.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by CustomPCz
    How can I read a book you don't even know who authored and if you hadn't noticed,we are in the newb forum. I've read Sleepers ISO and understand that I would probably opt for the monte and like the concept of learning as I go.
    Not to pick on you, but I said that I did not know who the "target audience" is, not I don't know who the "author" is. Misreading instructions is a sure way to get in trouble when you are hacking Tivo. A quick search on Amazon turn up the Tivo hacking book below

Hacking TiVo: The Expansion, Enhancement and Development Starter Kit with CD-ROM -- by Jeff Keegan; Paperback
    If you are comfortable with assembling your own computers, then I suggest:
    - read the Sleeper thread completely, Sleeper ISO gone through a couple different revisions to work out a few issues that you might be interested in
    - download Sleeper ISO and boot up your computer with it
    - read the script if you understand programming to see what it's doing

Sleeper's ISO to Tivo hacking is TurboTax to filing tax. Trust me, putting hard drives on the correct master/slave/ide-connectors will be harder than running Sleeper's scripts. I think most of your worries will go away once you see the script in action. But you need to learn some basics to be able to make the proper decisions running the script. Do you know the difference between Month and Prom hacks? Do you know what Tivo's IP address and broadcast range will be? Do you know what network adaptor you have and which driver that adapter will use? The problem with not reading every msg in a thread is that you won't know if you will hit a problem someone else had, or already solved? So, the way I see it, is that all newbies have 2 ways of approaching this:

1. learn everything from other people's mistakes by reading, be as prepared as you can be and then start hacking. Hopefully, by understanding what you read, you will know how to answer the questions the script will ask you. And also avoid common mistakes.

2. jump directly into the hack, and learn by trial and error. When you hit a problem, search the forums for your answers, most likely someone else already solved it for you. But by doing so, you have the risk of making an unrecoverable mistake and have to start from scratch.

All informations to successfully hack your Tivo are already in the forum. Hundreds if not thousands of people have used these info and successfully hacked their own Tivo. It's up to you to figure out how to find and follow the correct directions. If you think it's too hard, then there are poeple who are happy to take your money and hack it for you. My 2 cents. Best of luck on learning and hacking.

No offense to the posters here, as I am relatively new myself....
    Sleeper's ISO and the procedures surrounding the use of it are really straight forward and simple to use. A bit of reading is required, but after that you can be monte'd and ready to go in less than an hour...
    Parrothead

28 Newbie help

I'm working on a page to explain this in detail (work in progress).
    I'm relatively new to the subject too, so any input/help is highly appreciated.
    Previe here: explanation in progres

For example; I can't seem to find a list of compatible USB Ethernet adapters, including which driver they use/need ...
    So when I did the hack - I had to do it 3 times until I found the right one ...