Thread: Mounting TiVo HD with Linux 2.6

Hybrid View

Question Mounting TiVo HD with Linux 2.6

Has anyone updated either the linux/fs/partitions/mac.c file from tivo.com/linux, or the one from tivohack.sourceforge.net to work with Linux 2.6, or have people been just using an old kernel?

I've got a desktop that I'd like to development work with, but need the 2.6 kernel to support my hardware, and I don't want to have to reboot constantly to do anything.

-jeff

Wink

Use Tivopart to reinitialize the Tivo partition table once you boot.

You can find it here:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...light=tivopart

Enjoy!

Hmm. Not really what I'm after...

I'd like the kernel patch so that I can pop a TiVo disk into my Linux machine and not see this upon bootup:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    hdc: Maxtor 2F040L0, ATA DISK drive
    Using anticipatory io scheduler
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
    hdc: 80293248 sectors (41110 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
    /dev/ide/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table

And instead be able to happily mount the TiVo partitions.

-jeff
    375hr Series 2 (TiVo 24004A)

modify the mac.c in the 2.6 kernel source per the instructions found in this forum and recompile the kernel on your desktop it has nothing to do with the files on linux.com
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Jeff, Tivopart would still be good for that. Just add
    Code:
    tivopart reinitialize /dev/TivoHD
    to your startup file and it will work just as well. If you want to compile it directly into the 2.6 kernel, I'm sorry, but I can't help you there.

Justin

There is no reason to run tivopart. There's nothing wrong with his Tivo partition table; he just needs to add support for it to his kernel.

To amplify what tytyty said, as I recall, it was no more than a couple of one-line patches. I applied them to my current kernel 2.5.7; no problem. But I don't remember offhand where I got them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    There is no reason to run tivopart. There's nothing wrong with his Tivo partition table; he just needs to add support for it to his kernel.
    "tivopart revalidate" does exactly what compwiz described; it requires no kernel patch.

The functionality probably belongs in a different binary since it doesn't involve writing to the disk.

I'd like to access and modify the Tivo disk on my Mac. There's a README file with the mfs-utils that says "OS X should recognize TiVo partition tables out-of-the-box". This file is dated from 2005. Has anyone tried this lately?

Also, assuming this works, I'd just like to disable the CCI flag checking. I assume I should get tvapppatch.tcl working on my Mac to do this? And has anyone run the mfs-utils lately on OS X? It would be nice to be able to backup the TIVO software to the Mac before I change it.

Quote Originally Posted by toyuniverses View Post
    I'd like to access and modify the Tivo disk on my Mac. There's a README file with the mfs-utils that says "OS X should recognize TiVo partition tables out-of-the-box". This file is dated from 2005. Has anyone tried this lately?

Also, assuming this works, I'd just like to disable the CCI flag checking. I assume I should get tvapppatch.tcl working on my Mac to do this? And has anyone run the mfs-utils lately on OS X? It would be nice to be able to backup the TIVO software to the Mac before I change it.
    I haven't compiled mfs-utils for a Mac in a long time. I used to use the sourceforge compile servers for that. I even posted builds here, although Darwin only, and only PowerPC. I don't think I've tried to compile it for a Mac since then.

I assume you know you'll need a hacked tivo if you want to patch your tivoapp. Once hacked, you'll have access to bash on the TiVo. Must people run tvapppatch.tcl on the tivo itself. mfs-utils is unnecessary if all you want to do is patch your tivoapp.

Patching Tivo disk attached to a Mac

Jamie: I assume you know you'll need a hacked tivo if you want to patch your tivoapp. Once hacked, you'll have access to bash on the TiVo. Must people run tvapppatch.tcl on the tivo itself. mfs-utils is unnecessary if all you want to do is patch your tivoapp.
    I would like to avoid, for the moment, installing or running any software on the Tivo: I just want to kill the CCI flag check. Then I can extract whatever shows I want using iTivo on the Mac. The only reason I wanted to run mfs-utils was to make a backup of my Tivo configuration and software in case the hard disk eventually dies.

I modded my EEPROM yesterday. Now I need to break the rest of the trust chain so that I can make the CCI flag mod and still have the Tivo run. I can do all this by just attaching the Tivo disk to my Mac, patching it, and then putting it back. I'll redo this patch whenever the Tivo software is updated.

Cartouchbea suggested I run mfslive in a virtual machine on my Mac (I have VMWare Fusion). This should allow me to mount the Tivo disk and make a backup. There's a Linux-compiled mfslive-compatible version of the program "replace_initrc" at the beginning of the "Replace initrd mips|linux" files thread on the dealdatabase site. So it looks like the only other thing I need to figure out how to do is run "tvapppatch.tcl" in mfslive and I'll be done. I'm not sure how easy that will be -- it might be easier to just figure out which bytes need to be changed on disk to do the CCI patch (according to the tvapppatches script) and change them by hand. It would be better, though if I could use the tcl script.

Quote Originally Posted by toyuniverses View Post
    I would like to avoid, for the moment, installing orr unning any software on the Tivo: I just want to kill the CCI flag check. Then I can extract whatever shows I want using iTivo on the Mac. The only reason I wanted to run mfs-utils was to make a backup of my Tivo configuration and software in case the hard disk eventually dies.

I modded my EEPROM yesterday. Now I need to break the rest of the trust chain so that I can make the CCI flag mod and still have the Tivo run. I can do all this by just attaching the Tivo disk to my Mac, patching it, and then putting it back. I'll redo this patch whenever the Tivo software is updated.

tvapppatch requires tcl, which probably isn't on mfslive. You could use the "dd" approach to patching instead, which can probably be done with tools available on the mfslive cd. I'm not clear on why you need to boot mfslive rather than just use native tools on the Mac (bash, dd, tclsh, etc).

I think you are confusing mfs-utils with mfstools. It is mfstools that you want for making a backup.
    Last edited by Jamie; 06-06-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Patching Tivo disk attached to a Mac

Jamie -- thanks for the quick response! Sorry about my terminology confusion (mfstools versus mfs-utils). The mfslive cd includes mfstools, so it will let me make a backup. The compiled version of replace_initrc is compatible with mfslive.

Thinkdiff suggested that I could install ext2/3 filesystem drivers for the Mac in order to access the Tivo disk directly, but that these are buggy. If they are stable enough these days, it might be better to just do everything directly from the Mac, as you suggest.

Mac OS X has no problem recognizing the tivo partition map. To actually modify partitions, you'll need to install something that will read ext2/3 filesystems. This is the only way I know of, but it crashes a lot: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

As for mfstools, the branch before mfslive took over should compile for the most part on OS X. I believe the last time I tried to compile mfslive's version, it crapped out. But I didn't bother to see what was holding it up. There should be a version of mfstools posted here for OS X... somewhere.