Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting TiVo HD with Linux 2.6

Question Mounting TiVo HD with Linux 2.6

Has anyone updated either the linux/fs/partitions/mac.c file from tivo.com/linux, or the one from tivohack.sourceforge.net to work with Linux 2.6, or have people been just using an old kernel?

I've got a desktop that I'd like to development work with, but need the 2.6 kernel to support my hardware, and I don't want to have to reboot constantly to do anything.

-jeff

Wink

Use Tivopart to reinitialize the Tivo partition table once you boot.

You can find it here:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...light=tivopart

Enjoy!

Hmm. Not really what I'm after...

I'd like the kernel patch so that I can pop a TiVo disk into my Linux machine and not see this upon bootup:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    hdc: Maxtor 2F040L0, ATA DISK drive
    Using anticipatory io scheduler
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
    hdc: 80293248 sectors (41110 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
    /dev/ide/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table

And instead be able to happily mount the TiVo partitions.

-jeff
    375hr Series 2 (TiVo 24004A)

modify the mac.c in the 2.6 kernel source per the instructions found in this forum and recompile the kernel on your desktop it has nothing to do with the files on linux.com
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Jeff, Tivopart would still be good for that. Just add
    Code:
    tivopart reinitialize /dev/TivoHD
    to your startup file and it will work just as well. If you want to compile it directly into the 2.6 kernel, I'm sorry, but I can't help you there.

Justin

There is no reason to run tivopart. There's nothing wrong with his Tivo partition table; he just needs to add support for it to his kernel.

To amplify what tytyty said, as I recall, it was no more than a couple of one-line patches. I applied them to my current kernel 2.5.7; no problem. But I don't remember offhand where I got them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    There is no reason to run tivopart. There's nothing wrong with his Tivo partition table; he just needs to add support for it to his kernel.
    "tivopart revalidate" does exactly what compwiz described; it requires no kernel patch.

The functionality probably belongs in a different binary since it doesn't involve writing to the disk.

29 Oh, nifty...

OK, just checked out the source for "tivopart revalidate"...
    Cool... I didn't know you could do that to a partition table

I've been working on a kernel patch for 2.6.5, so I think I'll finish & release that.

This'll let you compile in (or not) a TIVO partition scheme, and it should detect it automatically on boot.

Additionally, regular mac partitions should continue to work (important for LinuxPPC users).

Thanks,
    -jeff

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez
    "tivopart revalidate" does exactly what compwiz described; it requires no kernel patch.
    Ah? Interesting. My apologies, then.

But compwiz said "tivopart reinitialize", which sounds like something else. ("Initialize" is a common term for "format".) I seem to have an old version of tivopart here that lacks either of these options.

But compwiz said "tivopart reinitialize", which sounds like something else. ("Initialize" is a common term for "format".)
    Yeah, he meant 'revalidate', which alters the in-memory partition table to change the signature from a 'tivo' signature to a 'mac' signature, and the block size to 512, which is a pretty nifty stunt, if you ask me .

I seem to have an old version of tivopart here that lacks either of these options.
    Try this one, which I believe is the latest version...

tivopart-20031123.zip
    Props to alldeadhomiez.

-jeff

But compwiz said "tivopart reinitialize", which sounds like something else. ("Initialize" is a common term for "format".) I seem to have an old version of tivopart here that lacks either of these options.
    It only looks at the first letter of the command, so either will work. I do believe the initial release lacked this feature.

What it does is quite simple: it uses functions from the pdisk code to read and interpret the partition table, then uses the BLKPG ioctls to change the kernel's in-memory partition structures. I implemented this so that I could make a one-step reimaging script, which uses mfsrestore to write out MFS, tivopart to move around the other partitions and revalidate the partition table, then mke2fs, tar, etc. to set up the ext2 filesystems.

I'm a little confused (OK a lot confused) Linux is not my native tounge, so to speak.

What I'm looking for and tivopart seems to supply, is the ability to mount a Tivo HD in a 'standard' linux wintell desktop PC.
    Am I off base on this?

When I try to use it, it claims tivopart as a command not found. It has permissions, spelled correctly, etc, etc.

I'd really love the ability to pop a tivo HD in a linux box and and mount then tweak it. What do I need if not tivopart?
    Dave
    -----------------------------
    Life's a reach, then you gybe
    Hacks -SA 2 PROM, telnet, ftpd, tivoweb, tserver, mfs_ftp, & extraction
    SA2.5 PROM - telnet, ftpd, tserver (waiting for a tivoapp patch)

like Wow.. this post is 5 years old.. but i am trying to do the same thing.. just wondering if this ever got finished.

I would like to use a linux pc to do all my tivo hacking and store the files on the hd. to where i dont need all the live CDs.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samuel rock View Post
    like Wow.. this post is 5 years old.. but i am trying to do the same thing.. just wondering if this ever got finished.

I would like to use a linux pc to do all my tivo hacking and store the files on the hd. to where i dont need all the live CDs.
    "tivopart r" works just fine.

You (probably) also need Mac partition table support compiled into your kernel. (I've always either used boot disks, boot discs, or a patched kernel.)

(ide=nodma hdc=bswap FTW!)