Thread: descrambling S1 DTiVo recordings for the PC

descrambling S1 DTiVo recordings for the PC

I've read for a few hours here and saw some casual mentions to NOT being able to descramble S2 recordings for use on the PC. I assume this means there is a way to descramble S1 DTiVo recordings for use on the PC. I have mfs_ftp and telnet and tivoweb up & running. Can someone assist me with descrambling my S1 DTiVo recordings? Can I do it on the PC after transfer or do I have to do it on the TiVo?
    Champion of the newbie; hero of the stupid.

There's an entire thread called "How to disable tystream encryption to enable extraction".

And a very useful thread it is; but I don't think that's what ChromePlanet is talking about. I believe he means: How can you unscramble already-recorded, scrambled streams? That topic is covered here somewhere... I haven't followed it closely myself, since it's Series 1-only and I'm Series 2-only.

For future reference, though, it's certainly a good idea to start recording unscrambled from here on (if you aren't already).
    Last edited by TheWickedPriest; 05-02-2004 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    And a very useful thread it is; but I don't think that's what ChromePlanet is talking about. I believe he means: How can you unscramble already-recorded, scrambled streams? That topic is covered here somewhere... I haven't followed it closely myself, since it's Series 1-only and I'm Series 2-only.

For future reference, though, it's certainly a good idea to start recording unscrambled from here on (if you aren't already).
    There is info here (buried amonst the massive volume of stuff) about UNscrambling already recorded already scrambled streams.

I believe I remember reading that the current advice now (for S1) is to not bother recording unscrambled because it is a very straight forward endeavor to unscramble them and dump them to a PC (although I am looking forward to seeing just how straight forward it is, lol).

I think the advice to turn off scrambling is more relevant to S2 owners. I would love it if a pro could weigh in on this S1 vs. S2 issue (if that's what it is).

Sorry ChromePlanet for not directing you to the magic link where it all is, but I'm looking for the same thing, so if you find a gem, link us; I'll do the same.

descrambling the myth

Here's the relevant thread:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30547

Post #3 in that thread has unscramble.o in it. Looks like the usage on it may be a little complex. I think you have to play the recordings on the TiVo briefly before extraction or it won't work.
    Champion of the newbie; hero of the stupid.

That's the one....

What's the difference between unscramble.o and unscramble.c?

In the thread I referenced at the bottom of the first post you are directed to unscramble.o.