Thread: Backup Error:fat32

Backup Error:fat32

I am triing to run Tico scripts1_02 the full monte option for a hueghs SD-DVR-40. the tivo drive is a maxtor fireball3 40gig. my repplacement drive is a Western Digital WD600 60gig. I belive I have the drives setup correctly. I FAT32 formated the 60gig with windows 2000. I have it and the cd on the primary bus. and the Tivo drive on the secondary bus. I get ERROR: FAT32 Drive not installed as primary Master (/dev/hda1)

Please Help

Did you allow the PC to boot into Windows 2000 with the 60GB drive attached to the IDE bus? If so the Windows OS wrote a signature to the drive that will prevent it from working in a Tivo. You should be able to clear it by running a low-level format on the drive. You also do not need to do any other formatting to a drive slated for use in a Tivo. The image restoration process in MFS Tools does all the formatting on the fly so you don't need to do anything else to it.

The error message you're getting is probably due to having your Windows drive formatted with NTFS. It's the C drive that has to be formatted as a FAT32 partition, not the Tivo drive. Get your self a small IDE drive (about 1-5GB) and format it with a FAT32 active partition and use it to backup and restore the image for your Tivo.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I formatted the 60 gig as a FAT32 using WIN200. Then I disconnected all the drives except the original tivo drive and the drive I am using as a back up drive (60gig). the 60 gig is for the back up, it is blank. how do I use MFS to format?

I formatted the 60 gig as a FAT32 using WIN200
    the drive has a w2k "signature" on it. Go to western digital and download their disk utilities. Low level reformat the 60 gig hard drive. If you dont have a fat 32 C:\ drive (your computers drive) you can use Hinsdale's UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3: located here to copy and expand the new drive. Also note there is a note at the bottom of this page about allowing you computer to boot into 2k/xp with the tivo disk (original or upgrade) in it.

how do I use MFS to format?
    you dont. Use a win98/me boot disk.

To backup and then restore you will actually have:
    1) c:\ FAT32 fomat (where you put the backup)
    2) cd drive
    3) original tivo drive
    4) new larger drive.
    or using UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3
    1) original tivo drive
    2) cd
    3) new larger drive.

You should also note that you will not have a small backup using this UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3, but you don't need another drive. I would follow the captians advice and find or purchase a small hard drive, format it as FAT32 and keep my backups there. Good backups are hard to find now

Happy Hacking
    Mikey

I was planning on keeping the original tivo drive as the back up and using the new 60gig as the upgrade for the Tivo. wont that work?

It'll work, but a mfs backup takes 5 minutes to restore because there are no recordings while UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3 takes hours. You can't have to many backups & it seems to me that for many Tivo hacking is addictive.
    Mikey

Ok, I think I am missing somthing. Let me start from Scratch
    I have My original 40gig Tivo drive from a hueghs DVR40. I have a 60gig drive that I want to upgrade to. The reason for the upgrade is to install a direct tivo in my RV and bypass the need for dailing in using tivoscripts. I also have a 20gig drive available if need be. when i am attempling this I ONLY have the 60gig, the tivo40 gig and the CD hooked up to the computer. I dont want to use my WIN2000 Harddrive in any way. here are my questions:

1) do I need to reformat the 60gig drive with FAT32 before I launch tivo scripts? if so can I do it from win2000? I tried downloading the Weserndigital disc tools but they limit my FAT32 partition to about 35gig, if I want to do larger it automatically changes the format option to NTFS.

2) Picking the option for the full monte, then option "a" for back up first I get an error as stated above. does anyone know what the cause for the error might be?

3) when captain_video suggests a low lvl format how do i do that with out windows and or WD disctools?

4) where do I get a win98/me boot disc?

sorry I am not getting this too quickly

To use Sleeper's scripts you need
    - the orginal Tivo drive (your 40 gb in this case)
    - a new drive that you want to upgrade/hack with (your 60 gb)
    - another FAT32 drive to store your backup

If you only have 2 drives, then you might want to manually copy your 40 gb to your 60 gb (including recordings/settings) and expanded it at the same time. Check Hinsdale's instructions for details. Then do the surgery and hack phase in Sleeper.

My seagate drive comes with a configuration disk/CD, that if you boot with it, it will allow you to format a large drive in FAT32 without the need to find a Win98 boot disk. Check your drive packaging, there should be similar tools.

1) YOU DO NOT NEED TO FORMAT YOUR 60 GB DRIVE! Sorry for shouting but you obviously did not hear me the first time.

2) Asked and answered in my previous reply.

3) You probably got an installation CD with your WD drive. You should be able to make a boot disk containing the diagnostic tools from the CD. Read the documentation that came with your hard drive. You need to know some PC basics before hacking a Tivo. We'll help you with the Tivo stuff but get the prerequisites down first. This is not PC basics 101.

4) Did you try a search on the internet? There are lots of websites with boot discs available for download.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!