Thread: Tivo Low Speed Data Port 9 pin to RJ45 on DTV

Question Tivo Low Speed Data Port 9 pin to RJ45 on DTV

I want my Pioneer DVR-810 with Tivo to control my DirecTV RCA 480 (I think
    that's the model) through the low speed data port.

The DVR-810 has a low speed serial out and comes with a cable that is 9 pin.
    However the low speed data port on the RCA480 is an RJ45 jack.

How and/or where can I buy or make a coupler to convert the 9 bin to RJ45?
    What would the pin out be on the RJ45 to correspond to the RCA480 jack.

Thanks very much.

I'm surprised your 810 didn't come with an adapter for this since most SA Tivos do from what I recall. Check out the Tivo website for accessories that you can purchase directly from Tivo. You should be able to find the serial to RJ11 (it's not RJ45) adapter.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

My oops

Yes, I meant RJ11.

No, it did not come with an adapter. The Tivo website has adapters for serial 9 pin to 15, but no adapter going to RJ11.

I may need to make my own, but I'm unsure about the pinout.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    I'm surprised your 810 didn't come with an adapter for this since most SA Tivos do from what I recall. Check out the Tivo website for accessories that you can purchase directly from Tivo. You should be able to find the serial to RJ11 (it's not RJ45) adapter.
    If it's like other RCAs, it's not RJ11 (6 position, 4 contacts) either; it's a 4 position, 4 contact) connector; like a telephone handset connector. The last time I needed them, I had to make my own adapter. IIRC, I found the plugs at Home Depot.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Try looking here:

https://store.tivo.com/

Look on the 2nd page of the Accessories section. It's got the mini-phono plug and not the 9-pin serial connector so you can plug it into your Tivo's serial port. The other end has the RJ14 connector for mating with the RCA receiver, not RJ11 as I erroneously indicated earlier. It's called a Home Control Cable that's used with RCA set top receivers and sells for $6.99.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

That would be the one alright. I looked right passed that to the serial cable.

The picture on the home control cable was not too clear so I couldn't make out the phone connector on the end.

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

So do we know what the pin out is on this?