Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't ping Tivo Hughes SD-DVR40

Quote Originally Posted by HanzaPlastiQue
    Even got TyTools running nicely now. TyStudio seems to fail to connect to the TiVo, TyTools09r14 however runs nicely; found a good description here - you can also find the TyTool there for download.

Vnox2004, did you get rid of the "dial home" feature?
    (I'm stuck with a long distance bill of about $40/month)
    I have no idea what "dial home" feature is, or have yet to find out/discover.

BTW, finally got the following running and working great....
    - telnet
    - FTP
    - mfs_ftp
    - TivoWebPlus
    - Tytool

thanks everyone, it's all in the reading and patience

The "dial home" feature is where the TiVo want's to make a telephone call.
    For me that pretty much s*cks, because it gives me an additional $40/month charge on my phone bill (long distance).

it was taken care of thanks....

Mark.
    Last edited by Waterfall; 05-24-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Even got TyTools running nicely now. TyStudio seems to fail to connect to the TiVo, TyTools09r14 however runs nicely; found a good description here - you can also find the TyTool there for download.

Vnox2004, did you get rid of the "dial home" feature?
    (I'm stuck with a long distance bill of about $40/month)
    If the only dialup for tivo is long distance you can request perm access to the 1-800 number. If you have a DTivo you can run the fixsub hack to tell the tivo not to dial home.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall
    I moved from Hinsdale to the sleeper and I am stuck at powering up...

I have waited 10minn or so. I have the hughes dvr40 and selected the pegasus driver and when it said the ip address I just hit enter and the mask enter also.

The drive worked fine when it said to test it... now that all the hacks are on it I am having problems.

Mark.
    Don't cross post please. You asked this question in another forum already so stick with that, it will get read and answered. Asking in every forum just clutters the forum.
    Malfunct

DHCP after Sleeper's Monte Script?

I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to this one yet. Is there a way to setup DHCP after running Sleeper's Script? I've commented out the ifconfig in the rc.sysinit.author in hopes that that tivoapp would request via DHCP (I read that here somewhere). Nothin'... I also can't get to it via serial cable. So as of now I cannot get to a shell on my tivo at all. Any help, comments, and suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm running an RCA DirecTivo (DVR40). I've run Sleeper's Monte script replacing the 40GB drive with an 80GB drive. All went well and I'm watching TV, but the larger purpose of me to hack the box is to be able to run Tivoweb and fool around with some of the other extra features when it's networked. Like the amazing ability to remove the phone cord that's stretched across my living room. I've got a Hawking USB1.1 I have been trying to get going.

Thanks,

Randolph

PS: Is the "fuzzycolor" screen expected on boot after running the script?

Quote Originally Posted by vnox2004
    I tried rehacking and entered new IP's
    using Linksys USB200M USB to ETHERNET Adapter
    MY linksys router 192.168.1.1
    TIVO IP 192.168.1.3
    NETMASK 255.255.255.0
    BROADCAST 192.168.1.255
    MY PC's IP 192.168.1.2

can't ping the TIVO, but I can see the router link light flickering real fast.
    I read somewhere something about network collision.
    ANy ideas on how to get rid of it/get around it?

Also, how to set DHCP DURING Sleeper's ISO hack?

It is probably slightly pointless to go DHCP. Since all the cool hack requires you to connect to Tivo. Unless you know your Tivo's IP address, you can not connect to Tivo. You could make DHCP server always give Tivo the same address, but then what is the point of switching to DHCP?

Quote Originally Posted by Waruwaru
    It is probably slightly pointless to go DHCP. Since all the cool hack requires you to connect to Tivo. Unless you know your Tivo's IP address, you can not connect to Tivo. You could make DHCP server always give Tivo the same address, but then what is the point of switching to DHCP?
    Waruwaru's right. TIVO on DHCP is pointless. I, for one, wanted to try DHCP cause I was not able to ping my tivo, thinking it was STATIC IP issue.
    Found out later on that my ethernet cable under the house was bad, ended up installing a new CAT5, and DHCP/STATIC didn't matter.

Just redo Sleeper's ISO and reenter an IP.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicblack
    PS: Is the "fuzzycolor" screen expected on boot after running the script?
    I see that too, I assume its that small moment of time that the U5 kernel is spending to boot up far enough to run the monte executable and load the 2nd kernel. When the 2nd kernel kicks in to the point of starting Tivoapp you finally get the nice looking startup screen. In a nutshell, yes its expected, especially if you installed the version that had a pause coded in to work around a booting issue on some hardware.
    Malfunct

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I actually started a Monte on another drive (I'm testing with more than 1 to keep things "safe") last night. With my current rotation I never miss good TV while working on my tivo. I did have another question though. Is there any difference in series1 and series2/DTivo when trying to connect to the console via serial cable. I've run across a few tutorials most have "for series1" noted. I figured it was as simple as Monteing, making a cable, and plugging it in. Correct me if I'm wrong or point me in the direction of a good thread.

Thanks again,

Randolph

Actually, a few DHCP servers out there let you statically define IP addresses on the server, so the clients can all use DHCP but you still get a static IP on the client.

So how do you use "ifconfig" with dhcp?
    Tivo since '99, DirecTV since '96, Comcast since '06, FiOS TV '07!

3 x S2 DT
    2 x S3 w/ 2xCCs and 1.5TB each
    2 x TivoHD w/ 2xCCs and 1TB each

Sony Black Pearl on 110" Stewart FHG3

Hi vnox2004,

tried Sleeper (ISO 1.02) yesterday night ...

First made a backup of the original and restored on a 160Gb (Hitachi Deskstar). Tested the drive in the TiVo and that worked great.

Then I applied the Monte ... but when testing the drive it got stuck at "Powering up".

I tried the Pegasus drivers and the aa-somehting drivers, no difference.
    Which driver are you using for the USB200M?

After four attempts (restoring, using different drivers,.. etc) I went to bed ...
    Any suggestions? info?

Thanks in advance
    I had the same problem, here is what I did.

First time I ran the Sleeper process I got through steps 1 & 2, but, like you, it hung on Powering Up after step 2. At the time, I was hooked up to an old Dell I had, a PIII 500. A friend told me he had the same problem when using an old system, due to the motherboard drivers not handling the IDE channels properly.

I then hooked up all the drives to my newer AMD system and everything worked fine from steps 1-4.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bdeaton
    I had the same problem, here is what I did.

First time I ran the Sleeper process I got through steps 1 & 2, but, like you, it hung on Powering Up after step 2. At the time, I was hooked up to an old Dell I had, a PIII 500. A friend told me he had the same problem when using an old system, due to the motherboard drivers not handling the IDE channels properly.

I then hooked up all the drives to my newer AMD system and everything worked fine from steps 1-4.

Hope this helps.

Brian
    I was just wonderin' if your first name was Brian, until I saw the end of your post. If you're from Kentucky, email me at vnox@hotmail.com. You'll never know who this is. hehehe

Is there a way to get the D* S2's to "dial-out" using the network? I didn't think that was possible on the S2's. On the S1's we used ,#401 as the dialing prefix, but this doesn't work on the S2's.

Not that dialing out really matters.
    Tivo since '99, DirecTV since '96, Comcast since '06, FiOS TV '07!

3 x S2 DT
    2 x S3 w/ 2xCCs and 1.5TB each
    2 x TivoHD w/ 2xCCs and 1TB each

Sony Black Pearl on 110" Stewart FHG3